Housewife's personal allowance

If you were earning 70 to 100 thousand a month, what would be a fair allowance to budget for your wife’s personal spending money?

The same amount as you budget for your own personal spending money, plus additional costs of purchasing cleaning supplies and general household stuff.

I suppose it also depends on how much she makes at her job.

EDIT: Oh, housewife. Sorry.

Exactly! Excluding regular bills, try to keep it fairly even. If this is difficult, I know some couples who have a shared account for income and expenses, and each have a separate bank account whereby they both get a monthly “allowance”.

It’s easy! 70 to 100 thousand a month, depending how much you earn.

Seriously, maybe ask her? Work out a budget together and see what she needs for herself above the groceries, kid’s expenses, travel, bills, etc? And consider how much you spend on yourself, too.

I think the OP is referring “fun” spending money. Not day-to-day expenses, etc.

I just hand over all my money to my wife, and SHE tells me how much I can have.

After first skimming some off the top and stashing it in a secret bank account, of course! :wink:

10 000 a month should be plenty.

What does she need to pay for each month?

If you’re just talking about personal fun money, the definition of “reasonable” is going to be well beyond us here, since we don’t know anything about the 15-20 factors that would go into the decision.

I think you have much bigger problems to solve if there isn’t enough trust between the two of you for you to figure this out without outside advice. I truly hope you’re able to work it out, especially as there seem to be children involved.

After first skimming some off the top and stashing it in a secret bank account, of course! :wink:[/quote]

I am shocked, sir, that you would intimate ANY such disloyalty on my part!

(Which bank do you recommend for something like this?)

Seriously, the women tend to look after the family money here… IMHO, somewhat more effectively than the men do.

We budget: Wife get’s Lion’s share, some for mortgage/cc/car/etc., I scrape by with my $5000 per month! :slight_smile:

The inspiration for this link springs forth from the train wreck that was my belief that my wife would be a thrifty home-economist.

Take nothing for granted, nor allow yourself to be deceived by what ultimately would be discovered to be face value.

Less ambiguously, manage your own financial affairs! :wall:

[quote=“WhiteHawk”]The inspiration for this link springs forth from the train wreck that was my belief that my wife would be a thrifty home-economist.

Take nothing for granted, nor allow yourself to be deceived by what ultimately would be discovered to be face value.

Less ambiguously, manage your own financial affairs! :wall:[/quote]
You’ve got deeper problems than just money says the Dr.SEUSSandFREUD in me. If you feel deceived then it’s not just a ‘My wife screwed up, but never mind, she’ll learn’. It’s about ‘I took her word at face value and now my money is all in thin air’.

No fixed amount will help you or magic number is going to resolve this. But if you think you need a good number, then deduct all the utility bills, household expenditures (groceries, trips, eating out), atleast 10% savings money for the future (retirement, kids college blah blah) and another 10% towards immediate savings (if you’re fired 3 months later, or you come up with a very big expenditure), etc. Then whatever remains - half of that is her fun money. I’ll say it will barely touch 5K. Not a happy situation.

How much do you get? If it’s just for personal spending, I think 10k is plenty.

It depends on a lot of things. What kind of lifestyle does your family have? Will she be meeting friends for lunch often or is she mostly at home? Does she normally shop and if so, in what kinds of stores? How important is fashion to her? Does she have other hobbies or interests that cost money? How much spending money do YOU normally use in a month? Anything from NT5K to NT20K could be reasonable depending on the situation.

and the money she gives to her parents each month comes out of her allowance, not the main pot. make that damn clear, or else you’ll have to be siphoning of much more “to pay your own parents, in a place that’s much more expensive to live, honey”.

消す

Nothing. 10K maybe plenty for you, but by TW standards, it’s way too low me thinks. I could be wrong.

[quote=“KanPi”]
What’s a “housewife” ?[/quote]
A married women who doesn’t work in order to stay home and take care of the house, family, errands.