How a Mormon housewife sold America the big speed-reading scam

What do you think that means?

It’s good they’re being cognizant of this. Guiding the flock, as it were.

Ostracization on steroids?

Just means they temporarily lose their membership.

Yup. And as such the point was men tend to far outweigh women in the scammers category :wink:

I thought excommunication was booting you permanently?

Interesting. I didn’t know it was temporary.

Non religious people that arent stuck in nearly cult like micro communities probably wont really grasp how devastating it can be. Like scientologists, spme mormons literally stop contact with their immediate family.

Though its true there are good and bad in every good. The founding of mormonismis much like that of a cult created by someone who is permanently broken for excessive LSD use and now its become worldwide with the trips. Thats why i feel mormonism is itself a scam. Moreso than other religions. My family has a few as well back home. Come to think of it, not just the reading but the entire thing is much like a pyramid sheme. Missionaries instead of sales agents.

No, it’s usually just one year, if the person changes her/his life.

How much do you have to pay/grovel to gain reentry to the club?

Well, that’s a big if.

You just have to stop doing whatever you were doing it he first place.

Banished to hell!

I actually know a couple of Mormons who left the faith, but they’re still in contact with their Mormon friends and family members. I think it probably depends on just how uptight the community in question is.

2 Likes

What? No.

I remember speed reading being a big thing in 1970s America. Lots of TV ads touting speed reading courses, etc. Curious kid that I was, I asked my dad about it. He said they were just skimming and not retaining much information at all. I haven’t heard much about speed reading since the late 1970s.

That’s because all the speed readers have achieved singularity and risen to a higher dimension.