How about these independent coffee shops? How do they make it financially?

Louisa is a Franchise. So the owner has much higher startup costs than other cafes. And would have to pay a % each month etc and can only buy from the company.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a 100% franchise, they have own stores to compete with their franchisees. As McDonalds does.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t tell you the % of franchisees to company owned. Most businesses you can franchise are a mix of owner and franchisees.

The guy who started Louisa did so after borrowing 400,000nt from his dad, heā€™s done damn well.

Heres one example I got from this video at 10:12 into the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNhMkC3DyCU

Unicofa Coffee
Taipei East District
March 30 2019
6 Ping Store Rent. 60k month
200 cups sold per day (2017, now only 100 cups per day). Owner may close as 100 cups a day is not enough. Their drinks appear to range 55-65 on average.

100cups x 60nt per cup = 6000NT a day x 30 days 180,000 NTD a month
Lets say 1 cup costs 12ntd. 12ntd x 100cups=1200x30 days=36000ntd for coffee
180,000-60,000 rent = 120,000
120,000-36,000(cost of coffee)= 84,000
84,000- electricity/insurance/water/internet(est 6,000)= 78,000
28k x 2 employees= 56,000
78,000-56,000= 22,000 profit for the owner. Hes prob breaking even at 100 cups but if it was 200 cups like last yearā€¦hes making good money.

I also asked a guy who ran a Coffee bike trailer once. He said on weekends at a night market or popular area he sells 60-80 cups a night and a cup of coffee cost him 12ntd

2 Likes

He got an investment of 300,000,000 NT$ from a tech company.

3 Likes

Yes, you are not going to expand quickly if there is no massive amount of cash behind it.

Itā€™s the same story as 85C, poor guy, lost money than got an investment and now heā€™s the emperor.

They need to start thinking outside the box.

I know a Cafe Felicio, but Fellatio ā€¦:thinking: Maybe ā€˜Felicioā€™ has the Fellatio?

Thatā€™s either a really expensive blowjob, or a really expensive cup of coffee.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure there was further investment. But there would be a reason why he got the investment and others didnā€™t

You can argue with me all you want but coffee is cheap, and thatā€™s why there is a starbucks on almost every corner in the city.

I was mocked too! I tried working out of a cafe one morning. The wifi wasnā€™t on so I went up to the counter and in my best pigeon Chinese asked if he could turn it on. Buhaoyise, wifi youmeyou kai ? Then he turned it on and grumbled something or other, didnā€™t really sound too apologetic, however I thanked him anyway. I went back to my posie near the front counter, coding away. He served me, reaching across my table with his arm in my face. His arm and hand were dripping with water, gross. Xie xie, anyway I suppose, not minding it was another huge watery cup of Taipei drek. At least I would be pumped with caffeine. A few minutes later, I heard him out in the back kitchen behind the counter with his co-worker saying in an exaggerated and obviously mocking accent ā€œbu hao yi se, wifi meyou kaiā€ . I donā€™t think he realised how much the sound travelledā€¦

Suffice to say that and some other bad experiences have ended my jaunt of working out of cafes here.

Itā€™s all about the bullshit story they had prepared for the press and investors!

donā€™t give up so easily! i work out of cafes basically every day. and its very normal. you can do what the locals do, go on google maps and leave a scathing review, in english and more importantly translate it into chinese.

i do it quite often here. iā€™m looking forward to the day i find a new chinese school so i can take a massive dump on my old one.

but yea what a dick! imagine doing that in the west.

Thatā€™s to prevent ā€˜ass parkersā€™ from sitting all day and spending almost no money, businesses need business (money) to survive! Try to become a regular and business owners will be happy to oblige.

Thatā€™s bad attitude.

Really, the ā€˜westā€™ is better?

the local level of ass parking is indeed pretty diabolical. sitting down all day playing games, charging like 6 devices and watching youtube with a thermos is a pretty common sight in cafes and fast food places that donā€™t even have any seats

1 Like

give shitty service and get a shitty review for everyone to see. its a better attitude than being pissed off. the only thing i regret is not getting a photo to post that one time i was served a cockroach.

and i didnā€™t say the west was better but its not acceptable for staff to mock foreigners English ability right infront of their face. no iā€™ve not seen that.

1 Like