How Amateur Sleuths Broke the Wuhan Lab Story and Embarrassed the Media

31 posts were merged into an existing topic: Wuhan lab leak theory

You know folks, sometimes everything is actually NOT about the former US president.

I don’t know if this is appropriate, but perhaps we could actually look at the topic of the thread, and if you like, you could continue discussing the perceived merits of the former US president in one of the umpteen threads available for this purpose in IP?

Your non-US forumosans will thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

8 Likes

I tried that. And the response was like that of the softly shifting Sahara sands. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Forumosa can be like that.

You’re a good one Charlie. Take care!

Guy

3 Likes

Thanks! I don’t know if I’m good, but I know you are.

Be safe in these times!

2 Likes

You seem to have glossed already again here @mups

Nope, I’ve already said it’s fair to question individuals if there’s evidence of corruption. For example WHO heads, possibly.

There are a lot of scientific experts on planet earth. Just like there are lots of doctors. But some doctors malpractice, so do we go turn to mechanics for medical advice?

That kind of water-muddying is ideocracy level. It’s part of recent obvious political efforts to delegitimize career experts in all fields, replaced by, I guess, youtubers, forum posters?

Intelligence, judiciary, scientific, name the field, there’s been a steady drumbeat to confuse society over who should be taken seriously, more specifically that nobody is worthy of being taken more seriously than someone else, even experts.

The very definition of stupidity, a version of socializing opinions. Which is fine if they’re only opinions I guess, but the problem is when one opinion is rooted in evidence and one is rooted in conjecture and speculation.

The conjecture crowd in what I’m describing is happy to cherrypick an example of corruption, for example, in a sea of professional experts, to paint the entire group as such. Meanwhile of course the non-experts remain non-experts on the whole, which is just…obvious.

It’s politically driven, an attempt to draw equivalency between experts and non, and it’s bad for progress.

1 Like

I think the only one propping up this crow bait is you.

Well, I’m in favour of expertise and a believer in experts. That said, have you looked at the first post in this thread? The entire point of this thread is that a group of mostly non-experts accomplished something quite incredible. I’m not saying what you said about mechanics and doctors (that is patently ridiculous), I’m just suggesting that it isn’t as simple as it seems to appear to you.

2 Likes

I think you should pay more attention to patterns if not only do you not see it as a very real thing that gets promoted, but characterize it this way.

Also, your meter is up, too many comments unrelated to what I’m actually talking about.

Hope we can chop out about the last 30 posts :neutral_face:

3 Likes

:brain:

That’s literally what I said. Either outcome is evidence of CCP negligence/coverups, whatever. That’s irrefutable.

Beautiful head of hair on that man!

1 Like

There’s red flags everywhere pointing to China’s planning efforts. For example:

This Wiki tracks China-US direct flights expansion over time.

Particularly, this last minute expansion approved by Civil Aviation Authority of China raised eyebrows:

2019 Expansion
On February 13, 2018, CAAC approved [China Southern Airlines] application for direct service between [Wuhan Tianhe International Airport] and [New York/JFK] to begin in June 2019.

Chinese government has since deleted the links to this information from the CAAC site.

This one is for the stalwarts of reason.

1 Like

Yes, and yes. I’ll bet anything there were people shouting at them “YOU’RE NOT EXPERTS WHAT ARE YOU DOING”. If everyone listened to that all the time, we’d be stuck permanently at conventional wisdom with whatever biases were thrown in the mix. How about letting people share their expert or non-expert opinions, evaluate and criticize them as necessary, and not try to shut them down. That has worked very well for a long time. If anything good has come out of this, it surely is that the stupidity and utter impracticality of the shutdown mentality has been clearly exposed. What’s also clear is that it was entirely mixed up with politics as you can see mentioned again and again in the mea culpas coming out.

6 Likes

So I can’t help but wonder about Shi Zhegli’s safety. Had she been disappeared yet?

5 Likes

No, she has sufficiently toed the party line it would seem. I think she just spoke out against lab leak arguments recently if I remember right from the articles. Something about “conspiracy theories”

1 Like

I guess she can never leave China again and is going to be heavily monitored .

3 Likes

Check this out.

https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2021/06/04/exclusive-high-ranking-chinese-defector-has-direct-knowledge-of-several-chinese-special-weapons-programs-n391238

2 Likes