How Are Overseas Chinese Viewed in Taiwan?

As the title says my question is: How are overseas Chinese viewed in Taiwan?
Are they welcomed with open arms or are overseas Chinese expected to read, speak and write like a native. For example, here’s an article. I know this is in China but are there similar situations.
http://shanghaishiok.com/2011/01/26/chinese-malaysian-banana/
Will the Taiwanese encourage you or they don’t make a big deal because since your Chinese your expected to already know it fluently.
Personal experiences would be great or what you have witnessed yourself. A big question if an overseas Chinese student went aboard to Taiwan to learn Mandarin how would they be treated? Say they have very basic or no Mandarin skills.

I’m just quite curious in this topic.

I’m not qualified to answer your question myself, but pasted below are some links to threads that seem to discuss the issue. I didn’t really vet these, but from glancing at them, they seem kind of a mixed bag. Maybe some threads discuss the issue more usefully than others, and you may have to sort of pick your way through them to find the useful stuff. Anyway, here they are:

Here’s a ten-page thread, called “ABCs adjusting to Taiwan,” that begins in December of 2001 and ends in January of 2006: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1179

Here’s a three-pager from September of 2002 to July of 2004, called “Routine discrimination against ABCs”: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =21&t=4964

Here’s a short one from September of 2002, called “What’s it like for an ABC in ROC who can’t speak Mandarin?”: What's it like for an ABC in ROC who can't speak Mandarin?

Here’s a three-pager from March and April of 2003, called “Poor ABCs,” that may tell you more about some of Forumosa’s members’ attitudes toward overseas Chinese than about the attitudes of the Taiwanese towards them: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =12&t=8300

Here’s a short one from August of 2010, called “Advantages of being an ABC in Taiwan”: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =8&t=90433

I avoided the ones about teaching (or I think I did), since you didn’t ask about it, except for this one, called “Questions from a Taiwanese American, schools in Tainan?” from June of 2010: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 35&t=88822

There’s probably more stuff about it on the board, and hopefully someone will come along who can be truly helpful.

Edit: This is off-topic. I stumbled upon an old thread in the Dual Nationality forum that I think might be useful to some overseas Taiwanese. The thread is from November of 2005, it was originated by Yellow Cartman (who worked for ML McLean), and it’s called “FYI - For the ABC/CBC/*BC and Taiwan overseas types.” It’s about changes in the law that have to do with household registration and Taiwanese citizenship. Here it is: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=40956