How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO?

There are articles talking about how China will establish diplomatic relations
with all remaining countries that currently has diplomatic relations with the
government of ROC/Taiwan.

On second thought…

How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official
diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO? Does such an eventuality affect
Taiwan economically or politically? Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong,
but I really don’t see how. :2cents: :popcorn:

It will make the true legal status of Formosa apparent to the Formosan, and will cause a review by the Formosan of the rationale of giving funds to the ROC “Ministry of Foreign Affairs” to maintain its personnel. Restructuring will follow. Power to exercise diplomacy will be delighted to other political institutions.

One: The MOFA can shut down already. All it does is waste tax dollars.
Two: Taiwan’s legitimacy as a country partially depends on international recognition, as does any country. If no one recognized Taiwan and China came in and attacked, nobody in the international community would have the right to criticize China’s actions.
Three: As sofun said, it would be one of the quickest ways to deepen support for Taiwanese independence.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]One: The MOFA can shut down already. All it does is waste tax dollars.
Two: Taiwan’s legitimacy as a country partially depends on international recognition, as does any country. If no one recognized Taiwan and China came in and attacked, nobody in the international community would have the right to criticize China’s actions.
Three: As sofun said, it would be one of the quickest ways to deepen support for Taiwanese independence.[/quote]

“deepen support for Taiwanese independence…” in other words, it’s in the
CCP’s best interest to ensure at least a handful of banana republics continue
to recognize the ROC/Taiwan govt?

I could be wrong here, but didn’t Manchuria(Manchukuo) have official diplomatic
relations with more than 31 countries? (which is a few more than what the ROC
has right now) :discodance: Actually, 32 countries, if you include the other
“ROC” government that collaborated with the Japanese during WWII

If a handful of countries recognize the ROC, then they can claim that there is a civil war going on within China and protest US intervention.

If US recognizes Taiwan (not necessarily as a state) as a a autonomous territory of Japanese Crown, or as a dependent territory in trust of US, then US can operate on Taiwan preemptively by direct executive order in compliance to the Taiwan Relations Act.

Would it make a difference? They now have a bunch of smallish, some despotic countries behind them, mostly for the money and relief programs.
Major countries should grow some balls and put an embassy here and recognize Taiwan as a country. Most actually already have a pseudo-embassy, so why the cat and mouse game?

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Would it make a difference? They now have a bunch of smallish, some despotic countries behind them, mostly for the money and relief programs.
Major countries should grow some balls and put an embassy here and recognize Taiwan as a country. Most actually already have a pseudo-embassy, so why the cat and mouse game?[/quote]

The UK changed the name of their presence into “Office”.
The US calls theirs “Institute.”

Keep creating these anomalies and let’s see how it turns out in a century. If the world is okay with a blackhole void of international law and normalcy right where the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd largest economies intersect geographically, then I’m fine with that too.

[quote=“sofun”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]Would it make a difference? They now have a bunch of smallish, some despotic countries behind them, mostly for the money and relief programs.
Major countries should grow some balls and put an embassy here and recognize Taiwan as a country. Most actually already have a pseudo-embassy, so why the cat and mouse game?[/quote]

The UK changed the name of their presence into “Office”.
The US calls theirs “Institute.”

Keep creating these anomalies and let’s see how it turns out in a century. If the world is okay with a blackhole void of international law and normality right where the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd largest economies intersect geographically, then I’m fine with that too.[/quote]

How about the English speaking countries develop new words for their Taiwan offices and staff like “Embasea” and “Ambazzadore” and “Konsulit”, lol. :laughing:

This. There’s neither enough countries left nor any significant countries left (except perhaps the Vatican) that have official ties with Taiwan for it to make a difference at this point.

foreign affairs officials want to keep their jobs…

For one, the Taiwanese President wouldn’t need a new plane. No place to fly to for official functions.

US will have Taiwanese president visiting US sooner then you think. It’s already been studied in the think tanks in Washington.

In case you’re wondering, there are actually no laws, treaties, regulations, or policies whatsoever etc that prohibit Taiwanese Presidents from meeting US officials in US. There is that impression formed over the years, yes, but there is no rules that prohibits it from happening.

Are you in favor of increased unemployment? :roflmao:

US will have Taiwanese president visiting US sooner then you think. It’s already been studied in the think tanks in Washington.

In case you’re wondering, there are actually no laws, treaties, regulations, or policies whatsoever etc that prohibit Taiwanese Presidents from meeting US officials in US. There is that impression formed over the years, yes, but there is no rules that prohibits it from happening.[/quote]

They are China’s rules, and China is … uh, what was I saying? :s

For those of you who might question such developments, I present to you Exhibit A (cover your ears folks)–produced and paid for by MOFA in 2015:

Despite heavy recent competition from the MOE, MOFA has done everything it can to stand out as the least competent government ministry in Taiwan. :raspberry:

Guy

We can use half of our national spending on Nuclear weapons at this point.
U.N -" You can’t build nuclear weapons!"
Taiwan- “We are not part of the U.N, can’t tell us what to do”

Worst case scenario, no more 黑人 on stupid variety shows for hosts to say "黑人很會跳舞…很有 fu "

Joe Eaton… if you’re on this board, I hope you try to justify your participation in this nonsense.

For those of you who might question such developments, I present to you Exhibit A (cover your ears folks)–produced and paid for by MOFA in 2015:

Despite heavy recent competition from the MOE, MOFA has done everything it can to stand out as the least competent government ministry in Taiwan. :raspberry:

Guy[/quote]

This makes me want to vomit. I love old propaganda newsreels from the 1940s and 50s, but to see one produced in 2015, is worse than disappointing. I can’t express the feeling in English: 我失望了。

Even as a supporter of the ROC, that film made me laugh out loud at its ridiculousness. It must be a parody or something (or I hope it is). smh