How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO?

that is my point.

1 Like

+1. Taiwan has to go to the world with a positive message like, “We don’t give a fuck”. Stop wasting money trying to grab hold of shifting sand. Embrace the chaos and rebrand. “The little island that stood up to the bully”. People love an underdog.

4 Likes

Unlikely, US relations with China and Taiwan and the number of Taiwan’s diplomatic “allies” are two different matters.

It is not sand. It is burning coal. Nicaragua is close to civil war … again. Guatemala´s corruption is so bad that the UN has intervened. Honduras is a war zone.

In summary, it is not Taiwan. the elites there need a shot of support and what better than a dictatorship? It also reflects that US and its allies have lost support in Central America.

2 Likes

Hold teh presses!!!

WE broke first.

Links wait

If Taiwan gets down to zero then I’ll have no students from eSwatini - which would be a crying shame because they are really good students.

1 Like

Do we actually cease to exist if we get down to zero? I mean how does this work?

Taipei, Aug. 21 (CNA) Taiwan is cutting diplomatic ties with El Salvador after the Central American nation asked Taiwan for an “astronomical sum” of financial aid, Foreign Minister Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) announced Tuesday.

This is the first time the current administration announced it was severing diplomatic relations with a formal ally before that ally declared it was switching recognition to Beijing.

El Salvador’s embassy in Taiwan said it had no comment on Wu’s announcement.

The decision leaves Taiwan with 17 diplomatic allies.

That is interesting. We cut the ties. Hurrah for us.

1 Like

I sure hope they informed the U.S. about this before it happened, and that this is part of a coordinated plan.

Tsai had a meeting with State department officials while she was in 85C.

Conversing over that swill doesn’t bode well for Taiwan-U.S. relations…

Short transaphrase (translated paraphrase):

The El Savadorian government wanted Taiwan to give an exorbitant amount of money for a new port development project. Taiwan sent a team who found that the project was “unrealistic”, and would have created a massive debt. They also asked Taiwan to pay for their elections, presumably to help the much disliked current government stay in power. China is willing to make illegal campaign contributions and engage in dollar diplomacy, which Taiwan sees as irresponsible and refuses to do.

Good!

2 Likes

Hardly anyone recognizes North Korea do they? The country has not ceased to exist

You get unfriended you don’t cease to exist,

If everyone unfriended me on FB, I’d disappear. Oh but I’d still have you guys. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Dunno about informed but there will be blood:

Rubio then warned the tiny banana republic that shifting their allegiance to **Communist China** would “cause real harm to relationship with U.S.” He then indicated this could potentially jeopardize the aid money the U.S. provides to El Salvador as part of the Alliance for Prosperity program.

The K-man travelled back in time to get those terms.

El Sal has 6 million people. Hardly a tiny banana republic is it?

K-man, doing the tit for tat.

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-alliance-for-prosperity-will-intensify-the-central-american-refugee-crisis/
" Conceived without the participation of civil-society groups, the chief goal is to advance elite US and Northern Triangle business interests."