How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO?

For The Win
or
Fuck The World?

FTWFTW
fuck the world for the win

It is pretty evident that the warming up with America (that Travel Act thingy, the recent vocal support at the Congress, and the possible border pre-clearance at TPE airport) does not please China. That explains these two banana republics breaking ties and the airlines changing the name.

1 Like

I feel like this is China breaking the status quo so that Taiwan will eventually be forced to break it too and then China will get it’s feelings hurt and have an excuse to react strongly.

I’m going to get lots of different size stickers made and walk the length and breadth of Taiwan sticking TAIWAN over every CHINA.

I’ll climb onto CAL planes and turn them into Taiwan Airlines.

Who’s in?

Yea, although its kind of hard to drown out the sound of 500,000,000,000$ imports from China to the US (thats just 2017).

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html

Start with the coins in your pocket if you manage fair play to you.

Another nice detailed piece from the NY Times on recent diplomatic and other developments affecting Taiwan:

Guy

2 Likes

Economic dependency on China has only increased since Tsai took office. From 2016 to 2017 total trade with China grew by 17 percent. You can see detailed stats here
https://cus93.trade.gov.tw/FSCE000F/FSCE000F

2 Likes

Isn’t it odd that most of the growth in exports to China happened under Chen Shui-bian and Tsai. Under Ma there was very little growth.

3 Likes

The opposition line now is that the greens are incompetent. Their strategies are wrong because they push for independence instead of accepting the consensus of one China.

The only mistake was not fixing this problem in 1971…

1 Like

Exactly! That’s when those incompetent DPPers and their stubborn pro-independence position were totally messing things up.

Uh, wait a second…

Guy

1 Like

Unless it’s WWIII and the Express I refuse to believe it.

“The Scottish Sun”

Scotland…sun…

#ultimatefakenews

Looks like we just gave 150m US$ to Haiti to build something they’ll probably never build.

DPP is tired of being in charge, right?

It is quite a conundrum. If they do not give the money and Haiti breaks with ROC, it is their fault. If they give the money, they are wasteful. If they give the money and Haiti leaves the fold, loss of face squared.

Haiti will still probably go to China, which has them literally by the short and curly with its clout in the UN. They are already on the ground building stuff and the other half of La Española already gave in.

So China would now have an ally and can set up base practically between Uncle Sam’s knickers. But all this could be avoided if Taiwan would accept it is part of China. Suuuuurrrreeee.

One of my coworkers was gleefully mentioning the Montevideo convention in case we lose all allies. Let’s see what they do then, he sneered. I wonder where will he get his pension from then or what will happen to his many properties. But just for the record, the one losing allies and hence statehood is ROC. Would that mean that Taiwan could be set free under the there is one China but it is not me, I am Taiwan banner?

Yeah right. I’m so sick and tired of Auntie Tsai going on and on about Taiwanese independence.

Well, exactly. The way forward is surely for Taiwan to also de-recognize the ROC. Literally issue a statement saying the ROC no longer exists and all claims to territories including China, Tibet, Mongolia and Scotland are relinquished. Also make it a seditious act to claim that Taiwan is part of China. :fried_egg:

That would require changing the constitution, which is almost impossible under existing rules. Or a coup that sets the present ROC constitution aside. The US won’t allow either.