How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO?

Yeah, I know, I was just pipe dreaming.

It would end up with invasion.

We cannot remove the Republic of China now. It’s just the way it is. We have to change the meaning of the Republic of China.

Now this is an accurate headline

An alternative viewpoint:

“Jovenel Moïse in Taiwan: How the Republic of China Is Buying Haiti, Again”

Repeats tired old memes renegade island blah blah.

Talk shows were o this one last night too. Why do we give 150 million to Haiti if they will break diplomatic relations in 5 years?

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t.

Can’t fault them though, considering the last large donation cost Taiwan a lot of money and as soon as the military training was over and the helicopters were delivered, they cut diplomatic ties.

I usually consider it a bad omen if the president’s kids are here. Every time they come, the countries break ties afterwards or during. Taiwan thinks it is a good thing, my observation is it is not.

Most of the so-called scholarships go to the privileged elites of these countries, people who need it least. It’s a pretty rotten business from head to toe.

1 Like

Yeah if Haiti is one of your principle allies you know things ain’t that great.
It’s got some of the worst human development characteristics of any country worldwide.
That and Liberia.
Which is pretty sad if you look into the history of the two countries.

Nothing new, but the last paragraph is more than hopeful:
https://sentinel.tw/taiwans-central-america-dilemma/

Taiwan’s Central American partners are unlikely to desert en mass to China as Chinese officials likely realize further isolation in a short period of time may push the Tsai administration towards more controversial actions, according to the Chinese perspective, to maintain its sovereignty claims. Similarly, even if the number of countries amenable to extending diplomatic recognition to Taiwan seems to be shrinking, with each partner loss, funds already allocated for international investment or “dollar diplomacy” can simply be moved toward another target. However, Taiwan’s broader interests in Central America benefit from the multifaceted approach of findings political commonalities, the use of economic ties and Taiwan’s access to regional intergovernmental organizations.

El Salvador gone.

This is getting ugly.

Really petty for China to time the announcement with Tsai´s tour.

Got a link?

https://udn.com/news/story/6656/3320865

when have the ChiComms ever NOT resorted to pettiness, whether big or small? It’s in their blood.

Tks, updated El Sal. wiki. Seemed important to do that.

1 Like

Who wants to make a wager that either this was planned beforehand, or China went to them the day after and said “however much they are giving, we’ll double it”.

1 Like

the quicker Taiwan (R.O.C.) loses ALL its allies, the quicker Taiwan (and the U.S. and others) find a solution to this incredibly annoying political situation for 23+ million people.
The Taiwan gov’t can be doing so much more in terms of positive advertisements of its accomplishments globally, but just typically sits on its butt and lets thing happen. A very passive gov’t.

1 Like

At this rate, I don’t think they’re going to like that solution.

Hopefully the solution will be the U.S. being forced to formally recognize Taiwan.

1 Like