How can I buy shares on the TSE?

I want a discount broker with access to the TSE. I do not speak Chinese.

No US discount broker has access to the TSE as far as I can determine. The only full-service broker I’ve dealt with doesn’t have access either.

Those I’ve spoken with at US branches of ROC banks don’t understand my question.

I am very keen on buying some shares listed on the TSE.

ADRs and the closed end Taiwan funds on the NYSE don’t include what I consider the TSE’s most undervalued companies.

The ability to trade frequently and market data, etc., are irrelevant. I’m only interested in buying and holding and collecting dividends.

Who can sell Taiwan, speaks English well, and doesn’t charge 100 USD a trade?

I’ve been through this before. It’s going to be hard, if not impossible for smalltime individual investors to buy shares in the TSE.

Unless, like me, you have a stock crazy Taiwanese sister in law. :smiley:

I was offered the opportunity to open an account by my former employer. They did require a guarantor willing to guarantee 1.2m NT$, which put an end to it as far as I was concerned.

This was 4 years ago, there’s a slight chance that things might have changed.

The sister in law approach sounds more promising, I would say.

Once the account is opened, make sure that you either have a local handle the transactions, or that the broker you deal with speaks English.

I thought all Chinese women were stock crazy. My grandma spends most of her day trading, and checking on her securities, chatting with other old women about investments. The employees at the banks, etc. know them all too well. But that’s HK; everyone there is either daytrading or gambling on soccer matches or horseracing.

Hell, on raceday, it’s like I have HK to myself. I love it!

My wife has this little device like a PDA except it’s for stock trading. First thing she does upon waking in the morning is go check how the markets did during the night. Then all day she’ll be sitting on the couch watching the Yankees ( :unamused: ) and Korean soap operas ( :unamused: ) while checking stock charts and business news on her device ( :unamused:). Fortunately, I’m at work during the day, so I miss out on the action.

My wife has this little device like a PDA except it’s for stock trading. First thing she does upon waking in the morning is go check how the markets did during the night. Then all day she’ll be sitting on the couch watching the Yankees ( :unamused: ) and Korean soap operas ( :unamused: ) while checking stock charts and business news on her device ( :unamused:). Fortunately, I’m at work during the day, so I miss out on the action.[/quote]

I am interested in the stock but not crazy eh. :smiley:
I’d like to learn more from stocks.