How can I fight back against excessively loud vehicles

What you mean they can’t do it? they are doing it as document above in news articles, its just that they have a few problems with enforcement, same as speeding and drunk drivers.

If you get sent for inspection and pass that’s it done, my wife got sent for inspection and a 6 month old scooter with no modifications, it passed and then forgotten. Don’t know why it was flagged, may have passed to close to the mic, may have been a tractor on the other side of the road, they didn’t know also. you just get a little post card in the mail, and then go for inspection.

Edit: Apparently it was an abnormality with the numberplate that showed up on camera, but nothing when inspected. Not noise but it shows they are looking for other things also.

These scooters are so loud, they stick out, like they’re at least 20 decibels louder than every other vehicle, even cars!

It shouldn’t be hard to flag this. Don’t do this based on absolute decibel value, base it on how much louder it is compared to the baseline.

Maybe inspection notice on the first offense but this continues, it should lead to vehicle confiscation and loss of license.

1 Like

I was under the impression that these modifications were illegal. People get around it by just taking the modifications out before an inspection and putting them back in afterwards.

The government needs a new goal: 0 decibels 2040

That’s why I said repeat offense should lead to confiscation.

They should also be manufactured in such a way to make modification difficult/expensive to do.

They do this with guns in the US for example, like barrel length, and if a shorter barrel is used a permanent muzzle device must be welded to it.

So I propose they just weld the muffler on. With the thin gauge metal they’re made out of, good luck replacing it.

1 Like

Don’t they have to do annual inspection? They should check there too. Same for cars, loud sport cars are everywhere. Is funny that they don’t let you play basketball pass 10pm in the park when then they allow all these noises vehicles.

1 Like

If these modification can be easily removed, then annual inspections don’t mean jack.

I have perfectly legal loud pipes on my motorcycle, I pass government inspection twice a year.

Now if I got flagged repeatedly should my motorcycle be confiscated when I haven’t done anything illegal?
How about if a local cop has a vendetta and then flags someone repeatedly?

Wasn’t you complaining about phones making it difficult to change the battery? I thought you was an advocate for the right to self repair.

again self repair?
Also some companies already do that, there are many aways around it.

Having excessively loud muffler is illegal. Do you really think vehicles have certain features and devices because they felt like it? There are rules on how loud a vehicle can be, and so stock muffler is installed to comply with laws.

It’s also a nuisance, and it is harmful for people’s mental and physical well being.

1 Like

quote the full text and read fully.

Just because its loud don’t mean its illegal.

so that would mean they have a monopoly and can charge any price they like.
(this sounds similar to arguments I see about other products)

There is also a saying that loud pipes save lives, there are much louder vehicles on the road than mine and they are within the law also.

Sure it’s called noise pollution call the EPA and have the police setup a road stop and fine people. Can be done. EPA was called on Carnegies many times over noise complaints.

Buy some ear plugs.

Arbitrary, unimportant, nonsensical rules are always strictly enforced here. But this particular problem nothing can be done about? In Taiwan, things can change overnight. All that is required is for the right person to say so.

This is a problem up there with second hand smoke… and exhaust pollution in general. Its not on the radar of most people, and the mafan caused by dealing with it is far greater than the actual complaints. Taiwan is behind, who knows when it will catch up. Maybe if mayor Ko became president he would sort it out LOL. GOOD ONE.

I agree though. I hate the noise of the roads. I live on one of the main roads in Sanchong and there are dick heads blasting through constantly. I have no sympathy, i would wipe them out if i could.

Why do you think nothing can be done? Or that nothing is being done?

1 Like

People who recall what Taiwan, all of it, used to be like in the late 1990s laff at this defeatist thinking. Things are so much better now than they were.

The scooter smoke ALONE took years off my life for sure.

1 Like

And crossing the road can easily take the rest :wink:

1 Like

It turns out reporting them is extremely hard. You need the guys license plate, photo of the vehicle and all that. Good luck with that.

I saw another article saying that they will impose a 1800nt fine for illegally modifying the muffler.

They don’t give a rats ass.

I hate wearing earplugs daily but if I don’t it will be impossible to sleep. And the earplug gets nasty. I’m thinking ear infections.

And I need a boat load of Xanax to sleep as a result.

You can’t fight it when the government don’t give a rats ass.

1 Like

you don’t need to report it. just complain to right people till they will do something.

Or more like, a million people need to keep complaining to the right government agencies.

I think is hard to believe that small motorcycle shops which provide inspections are strict on checking muffler noise. Simply not in their best interest to tell customers they do not pass.

Every day on the highway near me I can hear some very loud motorcycles zoom past the police station at the same time every day. Well, 8 years and seems no one is stopped.

When living in Taipei a motorcycle with a very loud muffler used to pass our house at same time every day. Luckily I usually was not home yet. But when I did have the pleasure of hearing that extremely, extremely loud noise reverberating in the small alley beneath our house I could hear for 40 seconds…yes, I timed the noise. I am sure he was very far away by that time but I could still hear him. Amazing how loud one motorcycle can be.

Why do they even do this? What measurable performance gain do you get for the loud muffler?

And when they do it it’s almost like they do it intentionally, like they gun the engine while moving not very fast, as if they made it their life’s goal to wake the dead.

And why isn’t the government caring? Surely they are getting millions of complaint about this.

If it’s gangster, it seems like the gang will be found out and some face will be lost.

Also the cars, especially ones that backfires when you let off the gas. What’s the reason for that?