How can I find out if I am a NWOHR

I am wanting to determine if I am (or eligible to register as) an National (of Taiwan) without Household Registration. This is because my paternal grandparents are both ethnically Chinese (Cantonese) and where born in the early 1940s during the civil war. Both of them since left China, first to Hong Kong (where they had three children) and then to Britain. I understand that due to Taiwan claiming the mainland area, people born there are sometimes considered nationals. But I am not really sure about my own status being third generation as well as being mixed race (british-chinese) and being a British citizen. I wish to know if I should go to the London TECRO and if so, what documents need I bring to prove my status.

If your grandparents have passports from PRC, I think they lost their nationality of ROC, so you cannot be a NWOHR.

If not, they are still nationals of ROC, so are your father and you. Do they still have their documents, such as passports, from ROC?

I will have to check with my Grandparents. Since they left in PRC era,
I can not be sure.

This is wrong. Neither PRC nor ROC laws recognize the existence of the other side as a state capable of granting nationality. The law merely states you can’t have a ROC passport if you have a PRC passport at the same time. And you can’t get a passport unless you either have permanent residency outside if China or are otherwise descended from someone with household registration. OP has permanent residency rights outside of China.

You can look up “Tim Chow” for someone in similar situation as you. Though he had some extra help to navigate the bureaucracy for him.

1 Like

Sorry for the reply with my vague recollection. You are right, people of ROC and PRC are not foreigners in each country.

The law I recalled wrongly is Article 9-1 of “Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area”
http://law.moj.gov.tw/MOBILE/lawEng.aspx?pcode=Q0010001

And according to Article 9-2 of the act, people who abandon PRC’s passports or household registration can recover their status as the people of the Taiwan Area, which may be the case of OP’s grandparents.

Following some discussion with my Grandparents, I found out that they were born in 1940 and 1941. Further, I believe my Grandfather (born 1940) once possessed a Hong Kong Student visa issued around 1960. I know both were born in Canton (Guangdong) and I do believe that they lived near the Pearl River.