How can I get a refund from a dodgy travel agent in Hsinchu?

Pay him a visit if you have the time. Tell him that you are also having some financial problems yourself and that you are getting nervous and need the money. Make it sound like you could :banana: :banana: :banana: because you are desperate.

[edited by mod]

1 Like

If he does this on a regular basis you can inform the consumer foundation, the government in charge of travel agencies and he could lose his license and pay a fine. A legal travel agent has to put up a warranty of several millions NT$ I believe into a fund.

Just go into his restaurant and start chimping out until you get your money back. DONT LEAVE UNTIL YOU GET IT. People in Taiwan are incredibly afraid of having attention drawn upon themselves, by police/media or others. You can get mostly whatever you want just by standing your ground and making everyone else uncomfortable/embarrassed/lose enough face.

Don’t take shit from anyone. This isn’t Taipei. Don’t act like your dealing with “city people”

The last thing this dude would want is to have to call the police and have some irate foreigner removed from his business. (I assume you’re foreign)

He’s probably not Taiwanese but Indian.

Even better.

I thought personal travel agents were for making sure BS don’t happen, and when it does they fix it. Like cancelled flights, delayed flights, missed connecting flights, visas. If my flight gets delayed and I can’t make my next flight, my travel agent will have one ready when I land. I’m paying more but I don’t have to deal with problems. She looks at everything for me, and even change to early flights if I land early.

Group travel agents can make flights cheaper because they buy a bunch and group it with tours and hotels.

1 Like

Unless you do something to force his hand. Like reporting to the police. You for sure are not getting your money back. For sure.

Never cut corners for a 10% discount on something as important as air travel base on some friends word. The entire thing sounds sketchy. No red flags were set off in your head? You need to do something to force his hand. No way a person runs a business like this will pay you back.

1 Like

Just got to know that some 20 Ethiopian/Nigerian guys were scammed by him for 600000 ntd. That court/police case is still going on and he has partially returned their money.

Is it possible to search court order records in Taiwan?

I hope other people scammed by him speak up and participate in this thread.

Or ask your friend for the money. If I did this to a friend I would give them money they lost.

Friend lost his money too.

Doesn’t matter, he was the one that referred. The friend is responsible for either parties getting screwed. I never refer a person I don’t trust on either sides.

I would have thought that if he is here on an ARC/APRC, and currently engaged in taking money under false pretenses , he could face deportation ?

that doesn’t solve the problem. people want their money back. if deported how will he ever refund?

The threat may work. One would presume you would prefer he did not continue doing this to other people, even if you do not get a refund?

1 Like

Sounds like this travel agent is :zipper_mouth_face:

[edited by mod]

1 Like

Maybe we should all go patronize this guy’s Indian restaurant so he’ll have the cash flow to pay people back. I wonder if the food is any good?

3 Likes

True. Nigerians don’t mess around when it comes to money.

1 Like

Or act patronizing towards him. :sunglasses:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓? :dvd:

You are not going to get money back using the group approach.

He probably doesn’t have the money for an entire group of refunds for sure.

Your best bet to get your money back causing enough problems for him as one person for him to make you go away.

But you’re probably not going to get your money back from him. Ask your friend, if he’s a decent person he would do it.

The most you’ll get is a well learned lesson not to trust some random Indian guy promising cheaper tickets no one else can get. You’d have better luck going down a :zipper_mouth_face:

[edited by mod]