How can I get a refund from a dodgy travel agent in Hsinchu?

So, if it was 5000 and you make 5000 per hour working at xyz. How much time would you be prepared to spend pursuing the matter ?

Even if you make 5,000 an hour, why to let someone to get away with a scam? That’s why we are :banana: up as a society. [ed.]

3 Likes

You’re missing the point.

I’m all cool with taking a principled stand and doing the right thing. But, this(scams of this type) is very far down on my list of issues in society.

Let’s say the OP lives in Taipei, so to go to Hsinchu and and confront this guy, find the restaurant, argue with him, all the other hassle involved, getting back to Taipei would probably take him atleast 5 hours. So, he got his 5k back, but he’s out of pocket still 20k (25k-5k)because of lost revenue.

Now, if the guy only makes say 1k/hour then the situation is different. So, it all depends on the opportunity cost

You make 5k an hour? Nice gig. You must be pulling in 800 to a million a month.

Deleted

The OP is seriously concerned about losing half a month salary on this. So, I would guess he isn’t earning 5k an hour.

Didn’t know that, but yes if half one probably wants to put in a effort

1 Like

I’m lucky to make 8k a month. 800 million would be nice.

It certainly would. Power lottery on Monday should be around double that - just a one-off though, not monthly.

Good luck!

I missed the part where the friend gave his word. I assumed it was along the lines of hey, check out this bargain I found.

To put that the other way around, all a scammer needs to do is figure out how to make the scam more expensive to fight, and success is guaranteed, unless someone goes to the trouble of standing up and chasing the scammer.

The same concept “works” in making a joke out of the rule of law, unless people stand up.

Yeah, like that trip to Rigel you sold me. You forgot to mention the surface temperature was 11,000 degrees and that it was 864 light years away. The only positive in this case is that nobody here would use the guy to book tickets from/// and hopefully there will be some public outing.

1 Like

I don’t know what you’re talking about, Shia. Humans get free transportation to Rigel VII, as long as it’s just one-way. :yum:

Now, back to seriousness…

Said recommendation.

Agree, the same concept does work on making a mockery of the rule of law.

But I personally find the rule of law to be light years ahead in importance to that of getting some scammer, hence I would be prepared to go far more trouble for it(as I’m sure most people would)

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The other day I recommended some films to you. I didn’t give you my word that you would enjoy them. Just fyi.

A movie and business transaction is completely different.

Paying to see a film is a business transaction.

If you’re paying. There’s still a difference in hey watch this movie that cost a few bucks and hey use this travel agent to book cheap flights. One is clearly more important.