How can i get private students?

I will be a housewife with too much time on my hands and have an idea that maybe i should setup some private english classes. Problem is i dont know how to…

Is it better to hold the classes at home or away?

How can i attract some clients?

I dont have any books or teaching materials, what should i be looking for?

How much should i charge per hour?

If anyone can advise me i would very much appreciate it, I’ll be a newbee to this kind of teaching…:pray:

[quote=“fu xiao”]I will be a housewife with too much time on my hands and have an idea that maybe I should setup some private English classes. Problem is I don’t know how to…

Is it better to hold the classes at home or away?

How can i attract some clients?

I don’t have any books or teaching materials, what should i be looking for?

How much should i charge per hour?

If anyone can advise me I would very much appreciate it, I’ll be a newbee to this kind of teaching…:pray:[/quote]

As a newbie, don’t charge much. Get to know the game. Trial and error.

Have you gone through all 30 pages of topics in this section to see if this has been discussed before? :wink:

I have great luck with www.myu.com.tw

Well, the topics are kinda limited on this forum…same convos over and over again…Reasons why ppl open their own thread is to get correct answers relating to their situation…

Peace :slight_smile:

How much is not much???

Im not known around the local community where i live. How can i recruit private students? :unamused:

How much is not much???[/quote]

250 NT an hour is A LOT of money to most folk.

Start there.

Some start at 500 but don’t know shit.

At 250, you will find your worth.

Brought to you by the “Can’t we stop flocking The Taiwanese now? brigade.”

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“fu xiao”]

250 NT an hour is A LOT of money to most folk.[/quote]
:roflmao:

jdsmith, you’re a bad man. 250/hr!!
hee hee hee

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“fu xiao”]

hee hee hee[/quote]

Well, I guess I think of the payers side Jaboney. 250Nt/hr is A LOT of money for most Taiwanese people.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“fu xiao”]

hee hee hee[/quote]

Well, I guess I think of the payers side Jaboney. 250Nt/hr is A LOT of money for most Taiwanese people.[/quote]

[b]How can i attract some students??? Im unknown locally…how can i promote myself or advertise?

And i should be doing this without the cops knowing!!! [/b]:stuck_out_tongue:

I would have to disagree that 250 NT is a lot of money for Taiwanese people. Compared to other professions on this island, 250 will get you a 10 min back massage at Taipei main station. 250 is what an average taxi driver makes in a hour (I’ve asked, most of them round to about 250 NT). 250 will get you a 20 minute manicure. 250 don’t even get you a basic 1 hour facial.

1 hour for private teaching really should be around the 500 range, even for a newbie. How are u suppose to know ur worth if you charge insanely low prices?

I’d start by getting some name cards made. Then I’d give them out to whoever I meet. How much? Try to make a determination based on what you think their ability to pay is and how involved the job will be. The lowest I ever charged was 500 per hour to a college student. I charged that little because the work consisted of little more than conversations held in a coffee shop (no preparation at all needed), the student was not rich and was also a semi-friend. However, most have a grasp of the market for foreign English teachers and will pay you approx what you could expect to earn for an hour of your time in a buxiban.

The cops won’t be looking for you, much less be caring about your private teaching activities. In fact, the last two times I had my ARC renewed in Taoyuan, the functionaries I dealt with at the Foreign affairs police office asked me if I’d be willing to teach them privately.

When I first came to Taiwan I was very broke. I came here with $50USD and a plane ticket home.

I needed money in a bad way. Had a teaching gig lined up but payday was a long way off. So I got a piece of paper and wrote, “Private teacher looking for students” and taped it to my back. I then rode up and down the escalators at the major department stores and got enough privates (I taught them in a park) to be able to eat for a month.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]When I first came to Taiwan I was very broke. I came here with $50USD and a plane ticket home.

I needed money in a bad way. Had a teaching gig lined up but payday was a long way off. So I got a piece of paper and wrote, “Private teacher looking for students” and taped it to my back. I then rode up and down the escalators at the major department stores and got enough privates (I taught them in a park) to be able to eat for a month.[/quote]

Well…

I think name cards/business cards are a very good idea but i doubt that im gonna be hanging around shopping malls with a label stuck on my back… :slight_smile:

Making name cards is a good idea, thanks for that!!!

Im also thinking that maybe 250NT would be the lowest price i’d charge. If im searching locally, meaning within the neighborhood i.e families living in the same apartment block, then i shouldn’t charge too much.

350NT maybe is fine for me to start off. Then when more experienced, i can start charging more…

Im not living in Taipei so charging high prices would seem unreasonable, plus i wanna teach elementary kids…its the age i love :slight_smile:

Same happened to me in Neihu; and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs staff also asked me to teach them. Just don’t teach illegally at a kindergarten or bushiban, and you’re not likely to get busted.

Same happened to me in Neihu; and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs staff also asked me to teach them. Just don’t teach illegally at a kindergarten or buxiban, and you’re not likely to get busted.[/quote]

If anyone from the foreign affairs asks me to teach them privately, im gonna just make a polite excuse and say sorry i cant. As for teaching in buxibans…it would be unwise to put myself on dangerous grounds! Plus i cant be bothered with the headache of working for an employer who may not think my face fits their sch… :wink:

[quote=“fu xiao”]Im also thinking that maybe 250NT would be the lowest price I’d charge. If im searching locally, meaning within the neighborhood i.e families living in the same apartment block, then I shouldn’t charge too much.

350NT maybe is fine for me to start off. Then when more experienced, I can start charging more…[/quote]

I’d recommend seeing what the families offer you initially before you immediately offer such a low price. You might find they offer more than you are thinking of charging.

I live in Pingtung (southern farming county) and the teachers I know here charge about 700 to 800 an hour for a one on one private, even if it’s just conversation. Even newbees can charge this and get away with it. If people will pay this much where I live, they will pay it almost anywhere on the island IMO.

A lot of it also depends on reputation…a few happy customers will spread the word, and it blossoms from there. If you provide good, quality teaching and are professional and prepared, word will get out quickly. After all, you get what you pay for! :sunglasses: