How can I help a bipolar person?

Family is back in Canada. Yes, there’s a regular history of drug use. No-one’s aware of any particular recent trigger though. i.e. large dose of psychedelics.

I went to see her over the weekend and this is escalating. Situation is worse and she is clearly suffering from psychosis.

A few of the themes that came out in the short time I was there:

She’s very unthreatening. Smiling a lot, pretty happy. Feels secure.
Cell phones have to be wrapped in foil and placed outside the front door in a shoe-box.
There is a smoke alarm with a hidden mic inside, so we can’t talk in the living-room.
Cars parked outside may or may not be watching her. We had to keep moving from the balcony, and then going back to sit out there, as staying still is not wise.
Concerned about a friend in Taipei coming down to see her, as friend has had the ‘operation’ (mind-chip installed).
She won’t leave the apartment, hasn’t done so for 5 days, as then the others may move in. Unclear who the others are.

She’s invented an illness cover story for her school, so hasn’t been working.
But that can only last so long. Perhaps it’ll do her through Chinese New Year, the semester is nearly done.

What happens to people like this? She’s very distrustful of anyone telling her to get help, that’s been tried. It made her angry.

So we leave her alone, and she runs out of food and money and then has to be hospitalized after some incident? Is there any other way this can pan out?

This is a really tough and scary situation. Is there any way for you to reach out to her family members back home?

That’s the only option. Not much else can be done unfortunately. Mental health issues are mostly a family issue here.

Hear you both. Family don’t seem that interested. Parents are separated and old, in different provinces. Don’t think she has any good place back home. I can’t imagine her flying home alone at this point, mind.

I was thinking more along the lines of her family coming here to retrieve her, or at least more forcibly secure her care, but if that’s not possible…I really don’t know. Would she become a ward of the state, or whatever’s equivalent in Taiwan? Maybe @yyy knows?

1 Like

Search for her relatives on facebook. Let them know the situation.

She could be committed for treatment here, but a family member would need to sign off on it.