How can I make a folder not be Read Only?

I want to make a folder no longer be Read Only so that I can add new files into the folder, so I unchecked “Read Only” (when I right-clicked the folder and went to Properties), and clicked OK. But then the next time I looked at Properties for the folder, it’s still Read Only! I tried this about 5 times, but it’s the same every time!

By the way, the folder is C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings. I’m running Windows XP, English version.

It should ask somewhere if you only want to change just that folder or its contents too. You want to change all the contents and subfolders too.

I already tried both ways:

1. I tried choosing to change it for only that folder
  2. I tried choosing to change it for that folder as well as all sub-folders

But either way, it still says “Read Only” every time I look at the Properties of the folder.

That folder is part of private profile of the account on the computer called “user”.

If you are logged in using that name and the correct password then you will have write access to the folder.

Windows prevents modifications to profile contents by users without the correct credentials for good reason.

I can think of only 3 legitimate cases where you would need access to someone else’s profile, and 100 illegitimate ones. What are you trying to do?

[quote=“Rik”]That folder is part of private profile of the account on the computer called “user”.

If you are logged in using that name and the correct password then you will have write access to the folder.

Windows prevents modifications to profile contents by users without the correct credentials for good reason.

I can think of only 3 legitimate cases where you would need access to someone else’s profile, and 100 illegitimate ones. What are you trying to do?[/quote]
As a matter of fact, I’m the only person using this computer. When I set up Windows XP, it asked me for a name for the computer and a username. I called the computer “Mark” and it wouldn’t let me also choose “Mark” for the username, so I simply chose the name “User” for the username. There are no other users for this computer. So “User” is the administrator.

The reason I was trying to make this folder not “Read Only” is because when I was installing the newest version of Winamp (version 5.3) a few days ago, I got an error message that said “Error opening file for writing: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\nse30.tmp\pxsetup.exe”. Then it asked me if I wanted to Retry, Ignore, or Abort the installation. Retry didn’t work, so I clicked “Ignore”. But now every time I run Winamp, I get an error message that says the pxsetup.exe file doesn’t exist!

I thought that the problem was because the folder was “Read Only”. But maybe I’m wrong. Why else would it say “Error opening file for writing”?

I already tried re-downloading the Winamp 5.3 setup file (which I got from www.download.com) and re-installing it, but the same thing happened both times. So I’m sure the setup file isn’t corrupt. (I first removed Winamp before I tried to re-install it, of course.)

Have you tried Disk Cleanup? (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup) That should clear out your Temp directories.