How can I use my computer as an alarm

There must be a way that I could use my computer as an alarm using music as a wake-up call. Please help.

I could write you a program for that. Interested?

I predict one very useful reply will be:

[quote]
You can do this just using Media Player and Windows Scheduling service!

Open Media Player and create a new playlist of all your favourite early morning tunes.
Save it. (for simplicity I’m going to assume you call it Alarm.wpl and save it in the default location “My Documents\My Music\My Playlists”
Open Control Panel > Scheduled tasks
Click Add New Task
When asked to select the program you want to run choose “Windows Media Player”
On the last page check the "Open Advanced properties

A program written by Dr_Zoidberg just for you is something very special, so you better don’t click on this link:
Alarm clock computer program

:google:

[quote=“hypermegaglobal”]A program written by Dr_Zoidberg just for you is something very special, so you better don’t click on this link:
Alarm clock computer program

:google:[/quote]

:doh:

Or you tie your computer to a string, which you attach under your ceiling. Then a candle will burn away the string. And if the distance of candle and string is right, it will fall on your head just at 7.00 am in the morning…

Bob Duestentrieb

You can do this just using Media Player and Windows Scheduling service!

Open Media Player and create a new playlist of all your favourite early morning tunes.
Save it. (for simplicity I’m going to assume you call it Alarm.wpl and save it in the default location “My Documents\My Music\My Playlists”
Open Control Panel > Scheduled tasks
Click Add New Task
When asked to select the program you want to run choose “Windows Media Player”
On the last page check the "Open Advanced properties

To save some electricity by not having your computer run all night, and problably to mute the ambient sound generated by the computer, you could set an automated wake-up time in the bios, and have the computer boot up all the way into Windows, and Autostart some sort of mediaplayer with your favorite tracks.

But chances are, that you wake up, first time the HDD spins up. Sounds to me like an expensive alarm clock burning lot’s of electric power. My radio alarm works just fine and it has a random song selector.

If you check the ‘Wake the computer to run this task’ box under the Setting tab, the task will run even if the computer has been shutdown to Standby (S3) which, depending on your system (particularly if you are running of ‘mobile’ CPU or one of the new Intel Core processors), only uses a few more Watts than if the system is shutdown but still plugged in.

Personally I have two PCs running 24/7 including one just 50cm from my head when I’m sleeping. I don’t actually think I could sleep properly without the soothing hum of a PSU in the background.