How can I use 想 (xiang)?

How do you say think about things? I know 東西 but that is that not correct for things we think about?

wo Zai xiang DONGXI = I’m thinkin bout stuff.

qi moto che de shi ho, wo xaing dong xi. <= ke yi, ma?

我在想事情.wǒ zài xiǎng shìqíng.

Yup, what funkymonkey said.

That should be more like this:
Qi2 mo2tuo1che1 de shi2hou4, wo3 hui4 xiang3 shi4qing.

Tai Tai SHUO DONGXI/Shiqing DOU keyi. TA Shi jiang ZHONGweN muyu de* reN.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]That should be more like this:
Qi2 mo2tuo1che1 de shi2hou4, wo3 hui4 xiang3 shi4qing3.[/quote]

shìqíng

shìqíng[/quote]
shìqing.

Wo zai xiang ni de dong xi,… girl.

shìqíng[/quote]
shìqing.[/quote]

:laughing: Thanks. Edited.

shìqíng[/quote]
shìqing.[/quote]
Debatable. In my experience, people in Taiwan give the second syllable its full tone value.

別想太多了

[quote=“Chris”][quote]Dragonbones wrote: shi4qing3
funkymonkey wrote: shìqíng
cranky laowai wrote: shìqing.[/quote]
Debatable. In my experience, people in Taiwan give the second syllable its full tone value.[/quote]
Definitely debatable. It’s listed as shi4qing2 in Taiwanese dictionaries as well as many mainland dictionaries.

shìqíng[/quote]
shìqing.[/quote]

Only in China.

Whether a final tone gets treated as ‘light’ varies geographically. :idunno: Anyway, the topic at hand is how to use 想.

For any posters not up to characters yet: bie2 xiang3 tai4 duo1 le. Yeah, that’s a good, common use of this word. or 你/妳 想太多了! ni3 xiang3 tai4 duo1 le!

For any posters not up to characters yet: bie2 xiang3 tai4 duo1 le. Yeah, that’s a good, common use of this word. or 你/妳 想太多了! ni3 xiang3 tai4 duo1 le![/quote]
Literally, it means “You think too much”, but its figurative meaning is closer to “You worry too much” or “Don’t over-analyze things”.

You/she think too much le?

You/she think too much le?

.[/quote]
妳 is feminine “you”.

Masculine and feminine second person. :ponder:

Don’t the people you are talking to know which sex they are?

Don’t answer that.

The other thing of course is: If you are the one writing how do you know what sex the person you are talking to is. Or somethimes you know that there is a likelihood that both sexes will read it. Is there no generic “you”?