How cheap is your employer?

Cost down, cost down, cost down.

Not only have they basically shut off the aircon in our building – and it’s FUCKING HOT – to save money (they claim it’s a green policy, but they’re lying), but. . .

They have stopped providing paper towels in the bathrooms and kitchens (they informed us by email that this too is a green policy, but I don’t buy that either), so you have to shake dry and/or wipe on your pants.

So now I have started stockpiling TP, for when they stop providing that. He he. . .

Incidentally, someone should tell them their petty penny-saving’s not going to turn around the disastrous downhill dive that the company’s stock is taking. And, it’s not doing much for morale.

Same in our building. It’s a government initiative. Irritating as fuck. So they turned down the aircon, and instead there are now literally dozens of fans blowing continuously, brought in by the employees. I wonder how much THEY cost to run? Twats.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Cost down, cost down, cost down.

Not only have they basically shut off the aircon in our building – and it’s FUCKING HOT – to save money (they claim it’s a green policy, but they’re lying), but. . .

They have stopped providing paper towels in the bathrooms and kitchens (they informed us by email that this too is a green policy, but I don’t buy that either), so you have to shake dry and/or wipe on your pants.

So now I have started stockpiling TP, for when they stop providing that. He he. . .

Incidentally, someone should tell them their petty penny-saving’s not going to turn around the disastrous downhill dive that the company’s stock is taking. And, it’s not doing much for morale.[/quote]

Pfft! I bet your employer isn’t as cheap as MY employer!

Oh wait…

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Cost down, cost down, cost down.

Incidentally, someone should tell them their petty penny-saving’s not going to turn around the disastrous downhill dive that the company’s stock is taking. And, it’s not doing much for morale.[/quote]

From management perspective they have to do something. I assume somewhere from above (board of directors) there are calls to cut back. Since they are unsure what most people in the office actually do if they do anything at all, they can’t go around chopping heads off.
Removing the tissue and switching off the AC is a visible move. Though as Sandman said the AC idea seems to have come from the government, but in your case they have taken it a step further and switched if off.

The smart guy who decided this, driving home in his Lexus, will be quit chuffed that for once in their life he can actually show results and justify his salary

But it’s cheap and counterproductive, and while there will be no riot in your office, it will piss people off. Piss them off probably enough to create more waste or inefficiency.

It’s this kinda leadership that often confounds me in thinking how do Taiwanese companies succeed in the world?! But they always had a lower cost, so they could always undercut the next guy. Not now though, so short term it will save pennies, but long term it will damage the company.

What does the guy who made this decision care, he will use his guan xi to get some other position wasting oxygen before any of the effects are felt. And if effects are felt they can always blame someone else

Maybe you should do this. Go to the boss and tell him that everyone in the office should write down exactly what they do and what values do they add. Then slash 10% of the work force. Else tell him to leave people work at home one day a week (without CCTV and monitoring installed in their homes)

Don’t think he will would buy into that… Too scared

Oh, I forgot to mention. They’ve already done that. I can’t go into the details, but it’s grim.

You’re right that management has to do something, but you can only squeeze so much. Morale sucks among the survivors and there’s no end in sight to the misery.

There’s got to be a better way to turn around disastrous performance of a company than by squeezing all the employees till they give up and quit. I would think clever strategic business decisions might be more productive (if management were capable of thinking up such strategies).

Of course the whole global economy is in the shitter. General Motors had loads of bad news yesterday, along with thousands of other companies. So it’s not all our management’s fault. But I still blame them for their stupidity. And I will buy a fan this weekend.

A few years ago my boss had every other fluorescent tube unscrewed.

Maybe companies can start moving to Carrefour and RT Mart. There are loads of chairs and tables and wireless internet.
They can do group purchases on the lunches

work at night, when it’s cooler (i guess AC costs a lot more than lighting, and hey, you have lights on all day anyway).

sorry, i should tell your boss, MT, not you.

I recently went away to Singapore on business. The company has a NT$600 subsidy per day for overseas business trips, to “compensate” you for being away from home, working stupid hours (i.e. until midnight every damn night) and the other associated mafan. So I get told once I get back to Taiwan that the boss has rescinded this policy because the trip went over-budget (through no fault of mine - I was not in control of the budget). It’s not the money (I’ll survive without their measly NT$3,600), rather the attitude that they can stiff you any time they like and you just have to lap it up and keep that smile on your face.

Cheap bastards, all of them.

I can beat that:

We have to mop our own floors, wipe our own desks, throw away our own garbage.

Because some employees are not as clean (they leave food around), the rest of us have to deal with rat infestation. My whole row has been bitten by ticks, fleas, etc. There’s rat shit around my desk area (because the rat hole is near my wall). I’ve been lucky since I douse my whole work area with rubbing alcohol every morning.

Used to be that employees had to collectively clean the toilets/bathrooms. That was real cost down.

The fan/ac spectacle of course. Goes without saying there’s no common kitchen/fridge.

There’s no paper in the photocopy machine/printer (1 printer shared by 5 depts); each dept. has to pay for its own paper under its “budget”. Same goes for kleenex (which only managers & above can order).

The mouse and keyboard is so gross, I bought my own.

Of course, they are crazy too - amidst all this cost down - some dept got to build a 35 ft. TV on the public grounds that used to show TV shows at lunch hours, but now it’s permanently shut off. WTF?

I’m told a lot of this cost down is not even necessary - it’s so some dept head can brag about his P&L to please the big boss.

They penny-pinch and then waste the big dollars. Think about how much manhours they waste by making us doing menial labour. hello - specialization & division of labour? I thought that was a well-known business/economic principle!!

OK, to “compensate” for some of the holidays we get, we have to work other weekends to “balance”.

/rant-off

Taiwanese management is mis-management. Mid-level bosses just look out for their own “territory” at the cost of the company, refuse to work with others, and use the principle of xiao zuo, xiao cuo (The less I do, the less I can fuck up). Without a virtual slave pool, China/Taiwan would be nothing.

Mine won’t even pay for sex.

You should apply with our company. They’ll fuck you for free. :slight_smile:

I think she might take issue what that. I head that she pays. Dearly, I heard.

I think she might take issue what that. I head that she pays. Dearly, I heard.[/quote]
“I head?”

Calling mr fraud…

Photocopier wars at my school.

I work at two places. One is a government place run by ze English. One is a shithole Chinese buxiban. Absolutely no difference in the level of assfuckery. The Brits, however, pretend that there is none and that you should be enjoying it. My Chinese overlords don’t care whether I pretend I find it fulfulling to have to teach photocopies of Headway workbook with no photocopier.

Not to worry, soon enough they’ll just shut down the country the way things are going, as it’ll be too expensive to hire anyone to do anything. They’ll just make everyone move somewhere else and close Taiwan, that’s the biggest saving they could ever do after all…

Why is it that things seems to go backwards here rather than forward? I’m just waiting for the first reports of random acts of office voilence due to people going nuts becuase the AC had been switched off…

Tell your boss it would really save them money if they allowed you to work from home…

But wouldn’t that mean Inhumane Resources couldn’t hound you mercilessly, fining you for being late, or taking too long a break, or smoking more than the allowed number of cigarettes? You would be free from the hell of MIS, blocking everything you do, limiting file sizes for email (or filtering anything and everything to protect the system, nothing gets through MIS hahaha) , requiring permission to access ftp and keeping a track of all your internet activity. Heavens no, that would never do.

Sounds like the effing “circus” I left behind six years ago…aka the Sef Efriken D-Fens Fors :homer:

We are still allowed to run the AC’s, but with the temp settings between 26 - 28 degrees. Like a fucking heater! I guess I can’t complain, having read posts stating that in some offices the boss in his/her wisdom had decided to turn off the AC’s.

I read in the newspaper just the other day that a government official suggested offices turn off their electricity for one hour between 12 and 1 ( lunch hour) daily in an effort to go green. Brilliant plan for the warmest part of the day. :s

As usual, they are busy micro managing. Punish the small guys to make up for the damage done by the big companies. Like, because the big boys in the Science Park pollute the drinking water and damage the environment unchecked, we at ABC Company, have to turn off our AC’s in order to go green. And what is the EPA doing? Micromanaging of course! Now they are busy inspecting public toilets so they can put a little sticket on then to say “Needs improvement” so that we, the taxpayers, can see they are doing SOMETHING with our tax dollars. Idiots can even agree whether we should flush the shitpaper or not.

Quick question: I often hear the locals saying, “We must cost down.” I understand the meaning of cost down, but is it correct English? Sounds like Chinglish to me, but I’m not a native English speaker.