How cheap is your employer?

Actually, Anubis, I commented about the AC being turned off in our office and I admit that wasn’t wholly correct. I believe they’ve also turned ours to 26-28 degrees (or at least a sign in Chinese seems to indicate that), but in any event that’s really warm and is surely lowering the productivity of the workers and creating a overall net loss, not gain, for the company.

As for “cost down”, it is improper English, but I don’t think it’s chinglish; I believe it’s pop-business jargon, like “ramp up”, etc. But lately in our office we’ve been hearing a lot of use of “cost down” and not much “ramping up.”

Too hot?

Wear less clothes.

Spray each other with water.

Your covered if your boss has a sun-facing office and a centralised AC system, but of course that means we are half-freezing most of the time.
I’m hearing ya all on those stories of cost down. The no toilet paper in the shitter is a classic.one here. Also the per diem story…I got a per diem recently (daily allowance so I thought) and then had to pay back the money that I didn’t spend (didn’t have receipt for), that was a good one. So next trip somebody is going to be living it up :slight_smile:

Apparently you’re right that it is the government’s fault. I’ve been informed that MYJ suggested all companies change their aircon to 26-28 degrees. It’s fucking hot. Do you think MYJ’s got his thermostat set to 26-28? I seriously doubt it.

And apparently the lack of paper towels is also a national phenomenon. A couple of weeks ago my daughter’s elementary school required all parents to send their kids to school with a small towel clipped onto their shirt to use instead of paper towels, when need be. We did that one day (after I repeatedly questioned my wife about what the hell we were doing, are you sure this is right, what’s the reason for this. … ), but she hasn’t worn her towel to school since. None of the other kids do either, I’ve noticed, except for one boy. I hope he’s taking it well, though at that age they’re pretty oblivious to how absurd they look.

Anyway, if these are MYJ’s major policy enactments, I’m not impressed.

On the other extreme why do many coffee shops/bars and other entertainment venues blast the air conditioner so damn much? I have left coffee shops and spent the evening standing outside pubs all because it was too cold inside…Surely turning the a/c down a touch would save the business money and make the punters more comfortable.

or the businesses that have the AC on full blast but have a whole wall open to the street. i mean, they’re great to linger by as you ride past, but terribly wasteful. i wish i knew how to say in Chinese: " hey, you stupid twat, think of how much energy you’re wasting, more than you’re making every hour from sales. i hope you’re broke next week."

There’s a simple solution for that, hike up the price of electricity for businesses.

I came into the office today and found that one of the two sets of elevators has been shut down. It had a note stuck on the door indicating that it was a “jie neng jian tan” (energy-saving, carbon-reducing) measure. Ever noticed how much this phrase has popped up in the media ever since Ma took office? Now people have to wait twice as long for a much crowded and smelly elevator. :fume: There’s also a note on every floor asking people to take the stairs if they’re going to a floor less than 3 floors away, again in the name of JNJT.

If they’re really serious about saving energy and being environmentally conscious, just shut down one of the several nuclear power generators around the island.

I once worked at a place where it was ‘company policy’ to walk [i]‘One flight up - Two flights down’[/i] rather than use the stairs.
That was OK. The stairwells were a/c’ed and had ashtrays on each landing.
(I did not smoke but others did)

Taiwan needs more Nuclear Facilities - Safe, Clean Energy!

For all you lazy potatoes - you SHOULD take the stairs! Even if you’ve got to walk up to the 7th floor, take the stairs. Everyone would be a whole lot healthier! And A/C costs could be saved, because all that fat traps the heat.

Is it coincidence or do I just notice that the fat people in my company always take the elevator (even up two flights)… and the slim people always take the stairs? HMMM… I ain’t no Sherlock Holmes… but, I think I have drawn a conclusion.

Of course, taking the stairs still causes pollution indirectly, because you’re using your body’s energy, which came in the form of food, which was shipped to you by pollution-causing truck. BUT, the point is that you should do it for your own health.

I propose shutting off all escalators in MRT stations. AND, the elevators should be off-limits to those not in need of taking them. Do you ever notice people RUNNING just to stand on the escalator? That is ironic.

In reference to the original point of this post… my office and other places of employment aren’t so cheap as what you people describe! The only cheap part is the absence of toilet paper and soap in the washrooms.

These cheap fools… MYJ shouldn’t do crazy stuff like telling people to ration! He should set up a thin solar photovoltaic plant on the island and proceed to subsidize companies who want to install solar panels on their roofs. I noticed that, in Kaohsiung, all new homes have solar-panel powered water heaters on the roof. Sure, it’s raining half the time in Taipei, but it would still do some good. More windmills and tidal-generation plants!!!

The most ironic thing is that in one of those “juan cun” - the old housing areas for “old soldiers” - there was a traditional convenience store that had two solar panels and a windmill upon the roof, generating FREE electricity for them. I think the government, the EPA, etc. can learn a thing or two from strolling down that back alley near the Taipei Drinking Water Museum in Gongguan.

The problem here is not saving electricity, but generating it in an environmentally-friendly and sustainable manner. After all, it’s actually the burning of fossil fuels (the “tan” in the “jie neng, jian tan”) that causes the pollution.

Italy is a country with a surprisingly similar history and situation as Taiwan. Just as dirty, too. Anyway, Italy had barely any natural resources and so what fueled the Italian Economic Miracle of the mid-20th century?! Hydroelectric power from the Alps. So, Taiwan has no Alps, but what does it have? It has ocean… go to Portugal and ask them how their tidal generators are working.

Either that, or pipe down cool air from Alishan and Yushan.