How Chinese characters confirm Genesis & bible(?) stories

Firstly, my apologies if this has already been discussed, and if it has, a link to the thread would be appreciated.

A very good (Christian) friend of mine sent me this link and asked me to check it out. He’s curious to know if the Chinese character aspect of it is just a load of rubbish, or if it does have some substance. I’m curious what those of you who understand the etymology of Chinese characters better that I do think about it.

Thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=6tSD49z … r_embedded

6tSD49zRZxg

What do you mean by “confirm”?

A load of rubbish.

As I wrote elsewhere (in Misunderstandings of Biblical Proportions), "such things are the equivalent of the folk etymology of the English word assume: to assume means ‘to make an ass out of you and me.’

Well, that’s really for you to decide. I think they’re basically saying it’s proof that the whole thing’s true.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]A load of rubbish.

As I wrote elsewhere (in Misunderstandings of Biblical Proportions), "such things are the equivalent of the folk etymology of the English word assume: to assume means ‘to make an ass out of you and me.’”[/quote]

Thanks a lot cranky. I’ll pass that link on to him.

Well, that’s really for you to decide. I think they’re basically saying it’s profof that the whole thing’s true.
[/quote]

While I consider myself “Roman Catholic” (I’m pretty sure the Church ex-communicated me at 14 years old but oh well), and I strongly believe in the teachings of Christ and yada yada… “confirming” the Bible? Like as in Eden?

Forgive me if I insult anyone but: :ponder: :roflmao:
And… what in the Chinese characters? It sounds something akin to finding the face of Christ in a potato.

A potato can only possess Christ’s attributes, not his substance. (Also butter and baco-bits.)

“Site Admin, why do you hate God so much?” :laughing:

“Site Admin, why do you hate God so much?” :laughing:[/quote]
As a Christian, even I find these claims of proof annoying and I think Mr Carnky Laowai has done a great job debunking it. Religion is not about proof. It has never been and shouldn’t ever be.

So, if this logic “proves” (this version of) Christianity to be correct, does that mean that one could use this logic to “prove” some other (contradictory) religion to be correct? With better knowledge of Chinese than I have.

Incidentally, it reminds me of the numerology that people use to find “Bible Codes”. People have have found “prophecies” in the bible by looking for patterns. Of course other people have used those same algorithms to find things “Bible Codes are bullshit”(or things similar).

Both the Bible and Chinese are VERY large data sources. It’s easy to find patterns in both. Probably easy to find some of the same patterns.

I agree completely. The claim is absolutely ridiculous.

[quote=“irishstu”]Firstly, my apologies if this has already been discussed, and if it has, a link to the thread would be appreciated.

A very good (Christian) friend of mine sent me this link and asked me to check it out. He’s curious to know if the Chinese character aspect of it is just a load of rubbish, or if it does have some substance. I’m curious what those of you who understand the etymology of Chinese characters better that I do think about it.

Thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=6tSD49z … r_embedded

6tSD49zRZxg
[/quote]

:fume: LOAD OF CRAP :fume:

OK, JUST from the Hebrew actually, the verse he quotes at 1:46 from Genesis 2:7 where he asks “who has this secret “person” since it was not adam”, is a load of shit, for in the Hebrew it says haADAM האדם(the adam…ie the man, ie adam) so thats point one.

Now onto Chinese: at 2:30 he uses the character for demon/ghost gui, 鬼 as proof for the “secret alive person” (who in Hebrew is Adam btw) as a reference to the snake being the devil. The notion that the snake was the devil is a MUCH later Christian interpretation of the biblical story. Ancient Jewish writers did not say this and even Medieval Jewish commentators (who were making up stuff just as much as the Christians were) quote this interpretation and chuck it out the window.

According to the story in genesis, Snake in garden does NOT equal devil…the snake was this weirdass creature, but not the devil.

So far this guy is wrong on all accounts, I can’t keep watching this it is so idiotic. If anyone wants to tear apart the rest of it that would be fun!