How come old posts get "trimmed"?

Linking to some old posts over the past year or so I’ve noticed that they ain’t what they used to be. I don’t THINK this is moderation to eliminate inflammatory or other rule breaking content, which would normally happen shortly after posting.

Perhaps its just to save space.

Curious about this. Apart from the inviobility of my sacred prose, it seems like it’d be a huge amount of work to save anything significant, and it probably wouldn’t usually improve the original, though sometimes it’d be a blessed release.

Y’all will probably say I’m imagining it, Fings-aint-wot-they-used-terbe stylee, and I don’t have any specific examples to hand, but I’m pretty sure.

I think you’re imagining it :slight_smile: Do you have an example? :slight_smile:

:aiyo:

OK, a trivial example, but I’m sure I’ve encountered more obvious (to me, of course) and significant-to-tone/meaning examples in the past.

I just linked to this thread.

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=80984&hilit=Tarmac+Terror+Taiwanese

There’s a post in there by icon, that contains the line "Then as you said, all the unseen obstacles. Boots, not bare feet, at all times. "

I can’t remember referring to this (assuming this was directed at me) but it was a preoccupation at the time because I was wearing plastic sandals and if they’d got swept off my feet I’d have been in (even) worse trouble, so I might well have. However, there doesn’t seem to be any preceeding mention in the thread.

Also, I’m sure I mentioned relating the story to a Taiwanese woman and being told that it wasn’t really dangerous because “most young Taiwanese have learned to swim”, an astonishing reality denial from anyone who’d seen the news, much less experienced it live.

Its possible that was somewhere else (search doesn’t work worth a damn in my hands so I can’t exclude that) but it seems unlikely.

Not a great loss to the body of world literature, but still a bit strange.

I think Icon’s post follows pretty naturally from yours, so that’s not strange in itself.

One thing that occurs to me is that your post seems well organized and logically consistent. If some random change had occurred, it wouldn’t be. It’s pretty unlikely that someone would take the time to edit it in coherent fashion for no apparent reason. I’m not convinced you’re onto anything here, but I’m interested if you come across anything else.

I’m interested, too. Sometimes I find that I’ve written something particularly profound and it’s suddenly disappeared into the nether regions of the Temp forum. I think that you may have a glitch in your programming. :2cents:

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Sometimes, it might just be a mod following former mod jp’s excellent advice about pruning.

Ok then. I’ve got no objection to changing the title to "How come old posts get “pruned”, or any other synonym you prefer.

(Hint:That was sarcasm.)

Ok then. I’ve got no objection to changing the title to "How come old posts get “pruned”, or any other synonym you prefer.

(Hint:That was sarcasm.)[/quote]

Not at all woody, rather tinny, if you ask me.
:s

I don’t think said advice would apply to editing posts though, either by trimming, pruning, clipping, or other garden implements.

Captain, I must strenuously disagree with…

I lost focus, there, but…
What was that, you were saying?
Damn I managed to prune meself, once again…
Now, where is that weed-whacker?
:ponder:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”] I think Icon’s post follows pretty naturally from yours, so that’s not strange in itself.

[/quote]

“as you said” when, in the existing thread, I apparently did not say, doesn’t follow “pretty naturally”. It doesn’t follow at all.

If there’d been any “temping” at the time, I’d probably remember the associated angst, irritation or humiliation (depending on the breaks), so that suggests there’s been subsequent pruning. weeding, mowing, winnowing, chaffing, scything, felling, lopping, culling, roguing, thinning, trimming, chopping, slashing, burning, gleaning, reaping, hoeing, glyphosphating, agent-orange-ing or combine-harvesting.

I realise that’s a tiny, tinny, eany-weany polka-micro-dot-bikini of an inconsistency, but its the only piece of evidence I’ve got at the moment, since this is based on my recollection, which isn’t going to be shared by anyone else.

And they are probably too clever to slip up again, now they know I’m on to them.

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“Tempo Gain”] I think Icon’s post follows pretty naturally from yours, so that’s not strange in itself.

[/quote]

“as you said” when, in the existing thread, I apparently did not say, doesn’t follow “pretty naturally”. It doesn’t follow at all.

[/quote]

Aha, but you did (say that there were “unseen obstacles” as Icon referred to), to wit:

Um…yeh, I suppose that could be classed as an “unseen obstacle”, in the same way that death is.

Like death, it isn’t an unseen obstacle that the wearing of boots (as opposed to bare feet) is likely to make any difference to, which was the kind of unseen obstacle that Icon was talking about.

However, I suppose if you could so mis-interpret it, then its possible that Icon could too (no offence, Icon) which removes the evidence. :ohreally:

Indeed there is not evidence here, but I still must object to your statement. There is in no way shape or form a misinterpretation, by either Icon or me. Icon gave advice about the necessity of wearing decent footwear in such conditions, backed by a casual reference to a comment you had made. I mentioned that in context, the advice followed logically from your comment. Neither statement depends on your feelings about what characterizes an “unseen obstacle.”

Hmm…suppose you’re right. Interpret rather than misinterpret, so no evidence.

We had this problem from a long time ago. I noticed it when my reviews were over 500 words and we updated the software. Almost all of my long reviews are now long gone. We had a discussion about this before. I’ll see if I can find it.

The key to everlasting contentment and happiness is to

Here is just one for starters. Completely wiped out. So don’t feel bad, it seems to happen whenever there is an update or change of servers. Time lost posting with eloquence thwarted with a single click. flob.me/p193245

No idea if this helps at all, but here is some general background stuff from my experience with different forum software, data bases etc.:

During some kinds of upgrades, transitions to other servers, backuping & restoring databases, … unintentional changes to the raw data may happen. That’s why pretty much every webmaster (including Forumosa’s as far as I can tell) backup the database completely (preferably by database methods, not forum methods) first, then do the update, move or chnage, then check if anything went wrong. Of course, you can’t check 100% of all posts, so sometimes you will miss some errors and thus continue using the new but partly corrupted database.

Common issues I experienced in forums that I was involved in technically included:

• Posts being trimmed after a certain amount of characters
  • Posts being trimmed after the first appearance of a certain character (like " or / etc.)
  • Posts losing formatting or links
  • Links or formatting getting crippled/changed/broken
  • Post losing the information which user posted it
  • Post losing special characters like Ümläüts etc.

If I remember correctly, whenever you look at historic posts on Forumosa, there are good chances you stumble upon various such issues… examples:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =8&t=10202 (thread has no texts/posts)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 1105#p2956 (img tags broken)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1136 (funny/unlinked poster names)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 797#p23797 (links and IMG tags broken)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewforu … start=3344 (last post of the oldest topics in 1970, those posts are not visible when you click the topics)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 439#p25439 (post cut off mid sentence)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 475#p25475 (quote broken)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 405#p25405 (either link broken or post cut off after a few characters)