How come the NT$ is getting so much stronger?

The NT$ is still hovering around 32 to the dollar. I don’t see it growing stronger.

Stronger compared to what,the dollar, it won’t go much beyond that but probably doesn’t need to as the dollar is getting stronger too in relation to GBP and Euro.

It’s been that for about 10 years now. Sometimes, it drops to 31. Sometimes it goes up to even… 33! 34!

Against the NZ$ in the same time period it’s gone from 16:1 to 27:1 to 18:1. Now it’s about 23.

Well heck Li Sha, I’m an American. Now I guess you know what it feels like every time I go to Britain! :raspberry:

But seriously, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. This stuff happens and it will gradually get better.

The issue here is that the NTD is almost a direct peg to the US Dollar much like the RMB. The US Dollar has been getting a lot stronger lately, but that isn’t likely to continue at this rate much longer.

That’s much what I was thinking, Kaixi. :laughing:

Yeah, the fluctuations between US and UK currency are mad. One days it’s good value to buy stuff on-line from the States, the next day it’s pants! :unamused: My mum tells me it used to US$4:£1 years ago, then it was about US$2:£1 for many years, now it’s usually US$1.something:£1. Hey, imagine it went back to 4:1, I’d be quids in with the NT$ too!!! :smiley:

Anyway, we’re not stressing about it, it’s just a question of time and, if nothing improves, there’s nothing we can do about it anyway, so better give our energy to other stuff. It’s a bit like being in a traffic jam really - you get less angry at it if you know why!! :wink:

[quote=“KaiXi333”]
The issue here is that the NTD is almost a direct peg to the US Dollar much like the RMB. The US Dollar has been getting a lot stronger lately, but that isn’t likely to continue at this rate much longer.[/quote]

That’s not true, the NTD is not at all pegged to the US dollar. It is a freely tradable currency. Also the issue is not strength in the US dollar it is weakness in the Pound sterling due to political and econmomic conditions in the UK.

The bank dudes are screwing with your money … betting against the Pound :roflmao:

[quote=“Gman”][quote=“KaiXi333”]
The issue here is that the NTD is almost a direct peg to the US Dollar much like the RMB. The US Dollar has been getting a lot stronger lately, but that isn’t likely to continue at this rate much longer.[/quote]

That’s not true, the NTD is not at all pegged to the US dollar. It is a freely tradable currency. Also the issue is not strength in the US dollar it is weakness in the Pound sterling due to political and econmomic conditions in the UK.[/quote]

Well, it’s not officially pegged like the RMB, but there are plenty of proclamations every time the NTD strengthens that the TW government will take measures to prevent it becoming too strong so that might hurt the export market.

Those statements are enough to make sure that the NTD doesn’t gain in value - markets won’t will invest in NT$ if they think the government will devalue the currency if it gets too strong. This counters what the balance of payments surplus against US which suggests that the NT$ is undervalued against ths US$.

So the NT$ is effectively, if not officially, pegged with the US$ - there isn’t much fluctuation between the two currencies.

And the TW government, as with all the other Asian governments who keep their currencies undervalued, have no incentive to rebalance their currencies as long as the RMB remains pegged at a hugely undervalued exchange rate - if any one country did so they would instantly become uncompetitive in the export markets compared with China and all the other currency manipulators.