How could a foreigner stay in Taiwan?

Hi, there are some problems that’s bothered me for a while. I hope people who are aware of this kind of problem could help me out. Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

My boyfriend is from Qu

He could enroll in a Chinese language program and get an extendable visitor’s visa.

There are many Chinese programs around. There are also some schools that teach European languages in Taipei.

[quote]
If he works here, except for being a teacher in cram schools, how to get a work visa and how to find a job? ( He can’t speak Chinese) [/quote]

Since you say you’re both serious about your relationship, it would probably be good for him to study Chinese; he can pick up some teaching hours on the side, private classes. And I believe, after a few months he can legally teach a few hours a week.

OR he can just get a job teaching kids or adults, and study Chinese on the side.

There are several options.

OR you can just get married and he can work wherever he wants to.

Good luck.

[quote=“fille1984”]Hi, there are some problems that’s bothered me for a while. I hope people who are aware of this kind of problem could help me out. Thank you very much.

If he works here, except for being a teacher in cram schools, how to get a work visa and how to find a job? ( He can’t speak Chinese)

We both take our relationship seriously and want to stay with each other.

How to get a visa for staying in Taiwan/Canada and be able to work?
Thanks lot.[/quote]

It’s difficult to get a long term visa to stay without having studies / employment / or spouse to stay here on.

One option is to get married but that may be too soon for you both. There are many French Canadians teaching English here. It’s difficult to get a job from Canada to work in Taiwan.

Of course coming and then doing visa trips are expensive so the only option in the beginning would be for him to get a student visa to learn Chinese and teach part-time or to get a full-time teaching job.

After he is here for awhile there maybe other opportunites that open up for jobs outside of teaching but he’ll really need to be here to find them.

I hope this helps.

jdsmith wrote:

Does anybody know what the rules are for teaching legally if you are studying Chinese? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times but never any details.

If somebody could point me in the right direction I would be very happy.

[quote=“Little Pig”]jdsmith wrote:

Does anybody know what the rules are for teaching legally if you are studying Chinese? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times but never any details.

If somebody could point me in the right direction I would be very happy.[/quote]

The way I understand it is you can study Chinese if you’re teaching leagally. Not the other way around. Or you can study on a student visa. But if you’re here on a student visa you cannot teach.

Also (and I have a friend in this position) they are not keen on transferring a student visa to a work visa anymore.

So, basically you need to be here here on a work visa with an ARC from a legal school. Then you are also free to register to study Chinese.

But as to the young lady’s predicament… Her boyfriend can stay in Taiwan on a student visa. If he is then teaching (illegally) and not being caught (as countless folks here do in fact do) then good luck with that. Better to find legal employ first.

Canada is too expensive? I thought education is semi-free there (once you get in). I don’t think it will be easy for your bf to find a CS related job here. Software industry is not that big in Taiwan, plus why hire him when they can get Taiwanese or someone from India for cheaper. However, that being said I would think it’s still better for him to find job in that area, maybe he can start with American companies, IBM, HP, blah blah. Not that easy though.

[quote=“Little Pig”]jdsmith wrote:

If somebody could point me in the right direction I would be very happy.[/quote]

In any kind of work, you really do need a work permit. The Council of Labor Affairs has forms for those who are formally studying in Taiwan but who would like to be able to work for a few hours (16 last I checked). The CLA has forms for employers who seek to sponsor a work permit for students. It is possible but as was written in another thread in Legal, this is an option that is seldom seen and not talked about much. I’ve known local companies who’ve employed overseas university students without knowing they had to do this and when they wanted to help the student change their status, it got messy.

Good luck.

I’m a student in the process of applying for a work permit. Once I’ve worked out what happens or am rejected, I’ll post all the gory details.

Ah, I know of a few schools here that teach both English and French. They are particularly interested in French speaking Canadians.

With a degree in computer science, he might consider looking for a job in that field. This being “semi-conductor island”, it might be his best bet and an avenue toward a pretty lucrative placement.

I have both a student and work visa. I don’t know if there were any issues being that my office took care of my visa. But I know it can be done.

semi-conductor island is not a software giant, that’s the only problem. It’s also hard to distinguish you from other people in terms of technical skill if all you have is a B.S. degree. My advice is if you want to do R&D, get a Ph. D, if you want to make money, B.S. is enough, master is not even necessary, make sure you stand yourself out like a sharp knife though, that’s the only way to make you go far. I still think it’s better to find a technical job here, is he familiar with computer hardware, architcture as well (not exactly like software engineering)? In that case, quite a few companies (Asus to name one, not sure if ATI in Taiwan does anything similar to what they do in Canada). IBM’s main business is server and consulting now a day, maybe you can try that (more close related to CS, probably would be good if you have some background in IT, network, database, etc. as well).

good luck

My understanding is that you can either have an ARC through your work, and then study on the side or that you can have an ARC through your university and then get a work permit.

If I’m wrong, could you please tell us how you managed to get a visa (ARC) for both?

[quote=“fille1984”]I can’t go to Qu

[quote=“fille1984”]
I’m a senior student in Taiwan, and we both will graduate next year.
We want to be together after graduating, .[/quote]

So you mean senior student in high school? If you are both around 18 years old…then for starters…he’s probably cheating on you. At 18 years old there is only one rule “Have fun.” . Plus if you are 18 you…aren’t you, yet. What I mean is your personality is no where near where it’s going to be in a few years. Me when I was 18 and me when I was 22…two completely different people. And the odds of yours and his personalities developing in exactly the same direction are pretty slim.

Sorry to rain on this parade, but long distance relationships create the most intense feelings…but those feelings are from the missing and longing…not from the actual connection you share.

When he moves out here you’ll stay together for another 2-3 months and then break up. That’s my prediction anyway. Hope you’ll let me know I’m wrong in the future.

Or you could mean senior student in univeristy…and then most of what I said isn’t valid. Except for the fact that long distance relationships create false feelings.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“fille1984”]
I’m a senior student in Taiwan, and we both will graduate next year.
We want to be together after graduating, .[/quote]

So you mean senior student in high school? If you are both around 18 years old…then for starters…he’s probably cheating on you.
.[/quote]

:astonished: …bit of an assumption there innit? when i was 18 i was as pure as the driven snow…23s another story…

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“Mordeth”]

So you mean senior student in high school? If you are both around 18 years old…then for starters…he’s probably cheating on you.
.[/quote]

:astonished: …bit of an assumption there innit? when I was 18 I was as pure as the driven snow…23s another story…[/quote]

Fair enough, but you still back up my second statement that from 18 to 22ish the person you are changes a lot.