How dangerous is Omicron?

That falls in line with this analysis.

1 Like

If you are old, jabbed or not, COVID is still a danger. I’d rather be an unjabbed 30 year old than a triple jabbed oldie.

You keep writing messages implying that once you are jabbed, you are safe and if you aren’t jabbed, you aren’t.

5 Likes

But you can’t control how old you are. You can control whether you’ve been vaccinated. Would much rather be a triple jabbed oldie than an unjabbed one, even with the milder Omicron variant.

4 Likes

Yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that the old people will die, jabbed or not.

He keeps writing like only unvaccinated should worry.

Is that the case?

1 Like

True, but I think most triple jabbed oldies who die are either VERY old and/or seriously immunocompromised.

2 Likes

Absolute rubbish.

In that event, the choice is between being (a) a healthy oldie or (b) a sack of lard kept alive with a dozen daily pills. Making the former choice will (or would have) made far more difference to your expected lifespan than getting vaccinated.

1 Like

You don’t know what you’re talking about. I know people in the UK who are jabbed and in ICU right now.

3 Likes

I always talking abiut the ludicrous “id rather.be unjabbed at 30” comment. Absolute codswallop.

Ill highlight it in future, make sure you understand.

1 Like

“people”, plural? :eek:

1 Like

When the pandemic first started, I was regularly reading The Economist and New Scientist to keep on top of things. I don’t say this to make myself like I’m an expert, but because these are “reputable” mainstream media publications that your average Joe and policymakers alike seem to believe provide some authority. Anyway, back then they were saying very openly that the most hopeful outcome for all of this is that COVID will eventually mutate into something less deadly but more transmissible, bring about herd immunity, and essentially be an inconvenience to society on a yearly basis like the flu. People die from the flu and people will die from this. If you’re at risk and you choose not to get vaccinated, then that’s on you.

This was the mainstream position of the non-alarmists and what’s happening now with Omicron seems to be suggesting that this non-alarmist position was correct. But somewhere along the way, it became unacceptable to talk about herd immunity and accepting that some people will have to die even, apparently, people who know the risks but choose not to get vaccinated anyway, thereby only putting themselves at risk. One death from COVID is one death too many - a common-sense fact that only the most heartless business-minded of us wouldn’t agree with, never mind the deaths and misery caused by closing down the economy and telling people to avoid hospitals for anything other than COVID might cause, never mind that lockdowns only protect the “laptop classes” while everyone else has to venture out into the dangerous outside world anyway, never mind the rising poverty rates, suicides, etc., that these insane lockdown policies cause.

I can accept that during the early days, the fear and uncertainty may have lead governments to impose lockdowns for what they thought were the “right reasons”. But it’s gone completely beyond that stage now. Anybody who still thinks lockdowns are a sensible strategy is out of their mind.

8 Likes

Yeah baby! We helped make the vaccine and we will be first to be rid of the virus. My tiny little island, populated by crooked toothed weirdoes. :heart:

Also, I still haven’t had covid once in all this time. What’s a guy gotta do?

1 Like

Sending positive thoughts your way. That’s such bad news, bear.

1 Like

Some people enjoy them becausr it means everyone is as lonely and pathetic as they are.

They arent needed at all now

2 Likes

It’s a worry for sure for the older generation that they can get quite sick and in the worst case , die. My boss sibling was in hospital with it., Rest of them were just a little sick or no symptoms . They all got it though. So many people get it (it’s incredibly infectious for everybody except recently boosted ) that every family will have one or two people who get hit hard I reckon.

There’s a lot of interesting data that could be derived about immunity from these variant infections. I am eager to understand how it all plays out and how key learnings could be used in future . For the first time in history we could track the natural history of a pandemic in real time with great accuracy. As predicted the more virulent strains seem to be outcompeted by milder ones. Let’s see if this continues. And hope it does.

The hospitalizations per day maxed out at 144 per day on the 7 day average in England. Now with the seasonal flu they maxed out around 400 in bad years, 200-300 in good years.

So omicron with vaccination seems to be clearly LESS problematic than the flu.

3 Likes

Low and behold, I was right. No need for anyone to apologise

Spare a thought for 20 million Chinese that have been locked up for weeks and weeks already just to satisfy the governments desires for a successful sports event.

3 Likes

I write seems - because it’s still a bit unsure due to rater few oldies testing positive in the UK. Omicron infecting the younger proportionally more. But yeah right now looks like it is less lethal and less hospitalizations than the flu.

Now England is pretty highly vaxxed in the +80 group - so it could be different for Taiwan. Plus maybe much more elder people than known had already coronavirus. This pandemic was always elderly dying and young people eating shit.

Are Vaccinated oldies safer than unvaccinated young people?

Yes or no?