How did you get your foreign teachers?

BTW, I found 6 teachers through agents.

2 through Forumosa

o just fell out of the sky

I agree with Chris. The “we only want whites” is offensive and unjustifiable.

Do you want a good teacher or not?

I am good, experienced teacher, and I wouldn’t work for someone who advertised the only wanted whites, or insisted on a N American accent (even if I could). The reason is, it sends me a very negative signal about the priorities of the school.

There’s two ways a struggling buxiban can try and increase its student numbers:

1. The quick and showy way. Need more white faces. Let’s have the whitey leading morning exercises in front of the street where everyone can see him. Oooh, I know - we’ll put whitey in the school bus picking up the children in the morning.

2. The slower (but surer) way. Employ excellent teachers with good experience. Make sure the students are really learning English well. the parents will be pleased with the results and tell others.

Wei? Is it on? seems to be leaning towards business model one. An ad asking for a white face tells me a school is doing that. I’d much rather work for a school that follows model 2.

Brian

[b][quote][quote][quote=“Bu Lai En”]I agree with Chris. The “we only want whites” is offensive and unjustifiable.

Do you want a good teacher or not?

I am good, experienced teacher, and I wouldn’t work for someone who advertised the only wanted whites, or insisted on a N American accent (even if I could). The reason is, it sends me a very negative signal about the priorities of the school.

There’s two ways a struggling buxiban can try and increase its student numbers:

1. The quick and showy way. Need more white faces. Let’s have the whitey leading morning exercises in front of the street where everyone can see him. Oooh, I know - we’ll put whitey in the school bus picking up the children in the morning.

2. The slower (but surer) way. Employ excellent teachers with good experience. Make sure the students are really learning English well. the parents will be pleased with the results and tell others.

Wei? Is it on? seems to be leaning towards business model one. An ad asking for a white face tells me a school is doing that. I’d much rather work for a school that follows model 2.

Brian[/quote][/quote][/quote][/b]

wow, dude, you are soooo wrong. my wife and i started our school alone, in an empty room in our house. we wrote our own books, developed our own program and after 2 years, have about 200 students and a huge beatiful new school paid for with our EARNINGS. so you can drop the “struggling buxiban” talk. we have focused ONLY on good teaching. and most of the white faces that have taught in our school were long timers who were such pricks with no teaching skills, that GASP despite being white, were fired.

give me a very large break. and please, read what i originally said and nowhere will you find “whites only” ad. what ad are you talking about?

i was posting a question in an INFORMAL bulletin board.

and please, come see my school and i doubt you will leave with such a negative attitude.:slight_smile:

alos, it would be wonderful if someone would tell me how to do the cool box in a box quote thang.

Well you did say pretty much what you claim you didn’t say - something like white people don’t often walk off the train. That’s another argument and off topic IMO.

To answer your questions, forumosa is a pretty good place to hire because you can get a feel of what a teachers theories are.

ESL schools do, however unfortunate this may seem to some, need white western teachers in their school. In any business, appearance is half the battle.

That being said, the teachers who are white should be half-decent, show up every day and be open minded. :sunglasses:

Even though Wei? Is this on? didn’t mean any disrespect or intend any racism, he was immediately attacked for being racist. Get ready for a shock, Forumosans, there is a high percentage of white people working in bushibans in Taiwan, and for good reason.

That’s what parents like to see. :noway: They relate whites to native English speakers, which in their minds leads to some degree of English teaching.

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. :unamused:

"
Even though Wei? Is this on? didn’t mean any disrespect or intend any racism, he was immediately attacked for being racist. Get ready for a shock, Forumosans, there is a high percentage of white people working in buxibans in Taiwan, and for good reason.

That’s what parents like to see. They relate whites to native English speakers, which in their minds leads to some degree of English teaching."

++++++++++
wonder, you got it. i mean, i must be the first buxiban onwer who ever thought hey! “Why not have white people teach in my school? Then parents would like me!”

this is such a joke.

sorry trollers,our school’s reputation was built up by hard work, good teaching, good programs and actually caring about the job we do. i dont care what foriegner comes to work for me. he or she is not the be and end all of my school. i dont need foreigners to make my school “good.” My school IS good, so good it’s getting bigger and we need more teachers.

so back off, NO foreign teacher is not that important to me. just given the number of students it would be better to have a native speaker doing things like story time, history and science classes.

Wei? is this on wrote [quote]sorry trollers,our school’s reputation was built up by hard work, good teaching, good programs and actually caring about the job we do. I don’t care what foriegner comes to work for me. he or she is not the be and end all of my school. I don’t need foreigners to make my school “good.” My school IS good, so good it’s getting bigger and we need more teachers.

so back off, NO foreign teacher is not that important to me. just given the number of students it would be better to have a native speaker doing things like story time, history and science classes.[/quote]

Agree on some points, disagree on others.

1. trollers - the people replying to you aren’t AFAIK trollers. Bu Lai En for one is not.
  2. I don’t care what foriegner comes to work for me. he or she is not the be and end all of my school - not wise and you’ve done extremely well if this truly is your opinion. I for one would NEVER be of that train of thought.
  3. just given the number of students it would be better to have a native speaker doing things like story time, history and science classes - that however is wise.

I never said “your ad” I was speaking hypothetically.

But, I did put you in the same category. In your first post you said you were looking for a white face.

Why not hire good teachers (native speakers of English) be they white, black or ‘yellow’? If your school truly does have a reputation for good teaching, and the students really do learn, the parents won’t care.

My advice was well meant. If you need teachers, don’t say that you only want whites and don’t limit yourself to hiring white people.

I know you didnt’ directly say that you only hire white people, but you strongly implied it. Do you hire Asian-Americans or other ‘non-whites’?

Brian

if you don;t want to patronize an institution, retail or otherwise that is racist, i suggest u leave TW immediately, starting from their government to their tv retail commercials, there is blatant racism here, to expect others to suddenly develop Western ideas of equality would be naive… IMO

[quote=“Wei? Is this on?”]"

sorry trollers,our school’s reputation was built up by hard work, good teaching, good programs and actually caring about the job we do. I don’t care what foriegner comes to work for me. he or she is not the be and end all of my school. I don’t need foreigners to make my school “good.” My school IS good, so good it’s getting bigger and we need more teachers.

so back off, NO foreign teacher is not that important to me. just given the number of students it would be better to have a native speaker doing things like story time, history and science classes.[/quote]

A word of advice here, for what it’s worth. This thread could stand to be very damaging to your chances of getting a foreign teacher through Forumosa. Even if you post with another name, if someone puts 2 and 2 together, well, they won’t be beating your door down with resumes.

I am glad your school is “good”, but trust me on this, you don’t want to say what you have said about teachers when you are looking for one at the time. If you don’t find them through here, they, after starting work for you, may find you here and what you have posted. That may start you on the hunt for your next foreign teacher.

I for one would not work anywhere where I wasn’t an important part of the school. In my school, it would be almost impossible to run without a foreign teacher. Every class, every day, needs one. They don’t review, do stories, sing songs (ok, sometimes) - they teach, and when I say “teach” I mean teach.

Why not get someone who is going to bring something worthwhile to your school? If you don’t you will probably have your local teachers resenting the foreigner being there and hating the amount of work that they “don’t do”. As a result resentment may set in and the atmosphere might change.

That’s just my 2 cents.

just to set your hearts right, as mine is now in some confusion as to why people must assume the worst of others:

we hire good teachers, period. we have Chinese teachers, ABC teachers, and foreign teachers. —so that takes care of the "he must only hire white foreigners line of thinking.

what i said about hiring foreign teachers as not being the end-all of this school : the school existed before said teacher arrived, ergo: there must be something about the school that works. i won’t be a slave to a foreign teacher, or chinese teacher for that matter. nothing is more important than the school. any onwer would tell you this. if your school depends on one teacher, you are screwed…sooner or later.

if i had needed a music teacher, would the art teachers slam me like this? lol… it would be nice to have another native speaking teacher western descent teaching in our school, to teach science, math, history, read stories, etc…

thats what we need now, but please, why must you think that is all we need or would accept? even though you may like to think so, maybe because im not a beg pardon and forgive me personality type , im not really that shallow.

on that note,

peace

I had an AD on teashit edited a long time ago because I said, “I don’t care if you are a six armed, transvestite, purple troll from Mordor, If you can teach give us a ring.”

I still have no idea if it was the six arms, transvestite, purple, or troll part that offended them. :s

from Mordor?

are you joking??
how could you hire THEM??
lol

i hear ya. can’t please all the people all the time…it’s much easier to piss most of them off though huh?

Does the Taiwan government consider English to be the official language of Mordor? There’s your answer. Your ad was illegal.

I just put up a few ads in the local pubs, got lot’s of slurred speaking replies lol

You asked for a ring from someone from Mordor?

Gandalf must have banned you.

One ring to teach them all, One ring to find them, One ring to make them talk, and in the grammar bind them.

The idea of bodily mutilation is no more repugnant or evil than racism. They are both social evils.

The idea I’m trying to commincate is this: If something is undeniably morally repugnant (e.g. racism or boldily mutilation), would you allow it under pressure to improve business?

Please note that in no way do I consider you a racist.

[quote=“Wei? Is this on?”]
second, I have a larger responsibility to my school and students to keep it running and performing its job well: educating. I have an even larger responsibility to my employees to keep the school profitable and them well paid.

too many foreigners come to Taiwan and think that simply becasue THEY have lived here for several years, that the Taiwanese around them should have changed to suit the foreigner’s sensabilities and moral superiority. (that IS what your saying right?)[/quote]
It’s interesting that you bring this up, yet at the same time summarily reject my “bodily mutilation” analogy.

[quote=“Wei? Is this on?”]

get over yourself.

and finally, you sound like you’re freelancing. great job. now start your own business with people you dont really know, from your own culture and from the local culture. When you try to make everyone do what you want them to do, even when YOU feel its morally right, despite what they think or have grown up thinking, you’re not a boss anymore…you’re something else entirely.[/quote]
If it involves the evil of racial discrimination, I would not touch it with a ten-foot pole. Racism is by ANY standard morally repugnant and unacceptable, regardless of culture.

Actually, I never accused him of being racist. I don’t even think he is a racist. But I did say to him that I personally would not give into the racist pressures of parents to improve my business.

[quote=“wonder”]Get ready for a shock, Forumosans, there is a high percentage of white people working in buxibans in Taiwan, and for good reason.

That’s what parents like to see. :noway: They relate whites to native English speakers, which in their minds leads to some degree of English teaching.

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. :unamused:[/quote]
Actually, it doesn’t come as a shock to me at all. I’ve known for a long time that that’s what happens here. Now, get ready for a shock… That doesn’t mean it’s something that should be accepted.

Indeed, rolling over and saying “Well, that’s just the way it is here. Might as well accept it” merely helps to perpetuate a bad situation.

Someone wise once said “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.”

[quote]I would like to ask you a question. If your clients insisted that you use, say, bodily mutilation (which we’ll assume, for the sake of argument, is legal) as a discipline technique for their children, would you do it because your clients think it’s OK? Would you do it if they threatened to boycott your business and go elsewhere?

I’m not suggesting that you launch a campaign to rid Taiwan of racism. But I’m saying that if I were in your position, and a parent came up to me to complain about a non-white working for me, I would take that opportunity to convince that one parent, calmly and rationally, that there is nothing wrong with a non-white teaching children; that it’s not the color of one’s skin that counts, but one’s ability to teach.[/quote]

You just made my A-list, Chris. My wife was fired from her English-teaching job in Taiwan due to the fact she’s ethnically Asian (raised in the US, and speaks English as well as any of us). The school owners gave into the pressures of racist and bigoted parents, just as the original poster is doing.

To the original poster, Wei is this on or whatever: I don’t blaim you for hiring white teachers, afterall, that is how many Forumosans make their bread. And just as Chris said, I don’t think you’re a racist, because as you say you hire people of all colors (even if you didn’t that wouldn’t technically make you a racist, it would just make a total sell out). But my question is this: if pressured by the parents of your students to fire an ethnically Asian teacher, who is a good teacher and good employee, would you? Of course I mean if they wanted you to fire him or her simply because he or she is Asian, not because of any teaching flaws.

That would be a tough call to make. It’s unlikely that anyone would say “I don’t like this guy, he’s not white enough.” Instead they would say that the kids can’t understand his accent, or he did something bad, or some other bullshit and you would be continually defending the guy against all sorts of complaints.

With a new teacher it can be hard to know the truth, and you would have to monitor him just to find out. “Hey, why are you always sitting in on my classes? You’re always on my case. It’s because …” And the worst of it is that (regardless of colour) if parents are complaining about a teacher there is often a good reason. We all know that there are a lot of bad teachers out there.

Finding out the truth and making the right decision is hard.

All the same, the important thing is that the kids like the teacher. And parents hate it when you change teachers. Whenever you make changes you will encounter resistance, but if the teacher is any good they will soon have their fans. Then you’ll have a choice between pissing off the folks who like the non-aryan solution, and placating the minority.

There are too many crap whities out there to limit your search. Take whoever would be the best teacher for you regardless of ethnic background and tell the parents that’s how it is. You may lose one or two, but a new face making friends with the punters will bring in more of the sort of customer you want. People talk, remember.