How did you penetrate this culture?

[quote=“kage”][quote=“walile”]For places to meet local people, you can try language classes. Korean, Japanese, French(if you don’t already speak it)[/quote] Uhm… isn’t the OP in Taiwan to learn Chinese?

[quote]Young adults often meet people throug reunions(同學會) or inter-office meetups(聯誼).[/quote] This may be a challenge for a student who has only been here for 5 months…

Lots of other good advice given. Hang in there, it’ll get better. You’re doing lots of the right things.
I usually talk to everyone I meet. Everywhere. I have heaps of conversations in my abysmal Chinese in the park, on the street, in shops, all over. Smile first.[/quote]

If one barely speaks the language, how do you expect him/her to “penetrate this culture” so easily? Superficial friendship is good enough for any F.O.B.

[quote=“walile”]

If one barely speaks the language, how do you expect him/her to “penetrate this culture” so easily? Superficial friendship is good enough for any F.O.B.[/quote]

Charm, good manners?

Also, occasionally, Taiwanese people can speak English.

That one! Over there![/quote]

Exactly! Pick anybody. Just don’t overdo the imitation.

I think the whole idea of “penetrating the culture” is be open to different interpretations.

If one means joining the culture, becoming a participant in internal cultural activities, then that’s a toughie. Many people here would really have a hard time accepting someone who looked like a foreigner (not Han, Formusan aborigine, or Taiwanese/Japanese or Vietnamese/Taiwanese mix) as NOT a foriegner.

So, that category of person is always seen as a guest. An honored guest, well treated and welcome to particpate in society, but still an outsider. Whites, blacks, Indians, Arabs, etc etc can never be normal here. Welcome, yes. Normal, no.

Thus, becoming highly proficient in the language and cultural knowledge never really changes that bottom line.

But, if one means penetrating the culture in terms of understanding and empathy with local people, that’s a different story. Learning the language will help a lot, but a lot of what is essential to Taiwan is translatable. Also, IMHO, the Taiwanese in a very general sense are more interested in feelings and actions than words, when it comes to judging who their friends are. They are acutely aware of how much bullshit there is out there. So you can become a close friend to locals and share feelings, in either language.

[quote=“BigJohn”]
Also, IMHO, the Taiwanese in a very general sense are more interested in feelings and actions than words, when it comes to judging who their friends are. They are acutely aware of how much bullshit there is out there. [/quote]

Well said !

I hate to seem like a one-topic forumosan, but I think you should join some sort of group that does volunteer work and has occasional meetings. Choose an area that you are interested in, such as working with animals, children, handicapped, or even some sort of business or commerce group. If you have an extended network of acquaintances, you are more likely to find a few good friends.

Over the years, I have developed some close friendships with Taiwanese people through interests and activities. In fact, for me, it’s the other expats who “always leave”. If you are a long-term resident here, it’s good to develop friendships with the locals because they will always be around.

Making friends here is much the same as making friends in any new environment. Join a club. Build up your network. Join in with your full heart, body and mind.