How do I apply for passport and ROC ID? Details inside

Hi,
I want to attain a Taiwan passport as well as a ROC ID in order to submit an application for permanent resident of Canada. This route is the fastest way I can get approval for PR status in order to move to Canada which, at the moment, is 7 months. If I submit as a US citizen from LA, the processing time is 28 months.

Details
[ul][]Born in Taiwan in 1976[/]
[]Had Taiwan passport and ROC ID (no longer have them, expired anyway??)[/]
[]Immigrated to US when I was 9 years old in 1985[/]
[]Became US citizen in 1993[/]
[]Married in 2006 to Canadian citizen. She will be sponsoring my PR application to Canada.[/]
[]Still living in LA currently[/]
[]Iā€™m 37 now (should have no conscription restrictions, if my research is correct) and want to apply for a passport and ROC ID ASAP[/][/ul]

So what is the fastest process for me to apply for a new passport and ROC ID? I will be traveling to Taiwan in May and hopefully I can get ā€˜hukouā€™ when Iā€™m there.

Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

Since you are not in possession of the by now invalid passport, you will need to prove ROC nationality in another way.
One easy way would be a Huji transcript listing you as the son of a ROC father. The transcript should be authenticated by BOCA (Bureau of Consular Affairs) so that ROC overseas missions, i.e. TECO in Los Angeles accept it. They may choose to accept it without authentication but better pay 650 NT$ more than sending documents from LA to Taipei back and forth multiple times.

With the authenticated transcript in hand you should be able to establish that you are in fact a ROC national. TECO may or may not require more documents from you (refer to http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1298&CtNode=763&mp=2).

Do you have any relatives in Taiwan? If not you may want to appoint a representative to handle the process for you.

Depending on whether your parentsā€™ huji was deleted or merely became inactive, you will be able to apply for a ROC ID Card immediately after entering Taiwan.

Note that passports can be issued by ROC overseas missions whereas ID cards cannot.

[quote=ā€œgokou88ā€]Hi,
I want to attain a Taiwan passport as well as a ROC ID in order to submit an application for permanent resident of Canada. This route is the fastest way I can get approval for PR status in order to move to Canada which, at the moment, is 7 months. If I submit as a US citizen from LA, the processing time is 28 months.

Details
[ul][]Born in Taiwan in 1976[/]
[]Had Taiwan passport and ROC ID (no longer have them, expired anyway??)[/]
[]Immigrated to US when I was 9 years old in 1985[/]
[]Became US citizen in 1993[/]
[]Married in 2006 to Canadian citizen. She will be sponsoring my PR application to Canada.[/]
[]Still living in LA currently[/]
[]Iā€™m 37 now (should have no conscription restrictions, if my research is correct) and want to apply for a passport and ROC ID ASAP[/][/ul]

Thanks! :smiley:[/quote]

So what is the fastest process for me to apply for a new passport and ROC ID? I will be traveling to Taiwan in May and hopefully I can get ā€˜hukouā€™ when Iā€™m there.

You need to find out where your household registry (hu ji) is. Passports expire, IDs do not. First thing you should do is to CALL the household registry and find out exactly what you need to bring. You may need your parentā€™s info/ID cards. I had to show marriage and death certificates and my birth certificate all notorized by the LA TECO office. Please note that that TECO stamp is only valid for 3 months. Then once you have everything, come over and you can get your ID on the spot. Then go to the passport offices and I theyā€™re pretty fast too, like a week? You donā€™t have to worry about the army.

Thanks for your replies!! :slight_smile:

Actually, I was able to find my really old expired ROC passport. It expired in 1986 and I think I was 6-7 years old when the picture was taken. Will I still be able to use it at TECO for a passport renewal?

My mom currently lives in Taipei and can add me to her address. She should be able to reestablish my ā€˜hujiā€™??

[quote=ā€œgokou88ā€]

My mom currently lives in Taipei and can add me to her address. She should be able to reestablish my ā€˜hujiā€™??[/quote]

Does your expired ROC passport contain an ID number? If yes, it is most likely that your huji had not been cancelled but was merely set to inactive after two years of absence from Taiwan. In that case you will need to enter Taiwan, visit your local household registration office and ask for an ID card.

I left Taiwan in 1983 so my passport and hu-kou were long since expired and cancelled. A couple of years ago, I went to LA TECO and was about to renew my old passport. They could still find me and gave me a new passport. I have since gone back to Taiwan and also re-established my hu-kou.

So, if you are in US, you can go to the nearest TECO office. Bring your old passport there and ask them what they can do for you.