How do I become a Taiwanese citizen? Am I a dual national?

[/quote]
He’s white. No WAY he can be a TW citizen. :unamused:[/quote]

I rather a white TW citizen that loves the culture, people, and the land then a bunch of sell-out that protects their own interest and doesn’t want anything to do with Taiwanese.

Green blooded Valcan

OMG SatTV we’ve found someone who doesn’t know you’re a TW citizen! Then again, being a green-blooded Vulcan, he might have an excuse…[/quote]

He probably doesnt know you are a TAiwan Citizen. After all there are about 21 millions citizens on this island and I believe that Curious Biker has yet to arrive and experience long term life here. It’s bound to be very interesting for him.

OMG SatTV we’ve found someone who doesn’t know you’re a TW citizen! Then again, being a green-blooded Vulcan, he might have an excuse…[/quote]

He probably doesnt know you are a TAiwan Citizen. After all there are about 21 millions citizens on this island and I believe that Curious Biker has yet to arrive and experience long term life here. It’s bound to be very interesting for him.[/quote]

You guys’re probably right… thanks again! I probably will need more help from the folks here in the future.

Not sure about him being Vulcan. They usually speak fluent English. He even managed to come away thinking Tommy is Sat TV’s son… :astonished: :roflmao:
Klingon, maybe?

btw, Curious Biker, you may find that not everyone down here is as “green” as you think they are. A fair amount are damn near “blue”. Bit of advice, steer clear of political conversations unless it’s at home with relatives or friends whose affiliations you’re sure of. Never seen anyone anywhere get as angry as a Taiwanese over a casual political remark.

Edit: and if your wife is Taiwanese you could qualify to apply for Taiwanese citizenship by virtue of being married to her. Down side is you’d have to give up your original nationality. Some countries allow you to regain citizenship after you’ve renounced it, so depending on where you come from that may be an option to explore…

Not sure about him being Vulcan. They usually speak fluent English. He even managed to come away thinking Tommy is Sat TV’s son… :astonished: :roflmao:
Klingon, maybe?

btw, Curious Biker, you may find that not everyone down here is as “green” as you think they are. A fair amount are damn near “blue”. Bit of advice, steer clear of political conversations unless it’s at home with relatives or friends whose affiliations you’re sure of. Never seen anyone anywhere get as angry as a Taiwanese over a casual political remark.

Edit: and if your wife is Taiwanese you could qualify to apply for Taiwanese citizenship by virtue of being married to her. Down side is you’d have to give up your original nationality. Some countries allow you to regain citizenship after you’ve renounced it, so depending on where you come from that may be an option to explore…[/quote]

Look, I’m as dumb as you think… why would this community be “green”? I’ve seen one thread that says “DDP is bunch racist a-hole”. I don’t want to sound like Sarah Palin and I’m not. How about a show of hand how many of you guys speak Taiwanese (not Mandarin) as Taiwanese Citizen. Boa-wow! Point taken. Thanks! I’ll stay clear of politics.

Btw… I was addressing Tommy’s thread and sort of jumped into wrong conclusion with SatTV mentioning of his boy. My bad. Sorry about that Sat.

Anyway… thanks again for the tips.

:hand:

But I’m not exactly green either.

[quote=“Curious Biker”][quote=“tommy525”]rereading your post. Apply for the tourist visa. Its a lot easier then even attempting to get citizenship for the reasons outlined. Me for example? Born in Taipei, lived there most of my life. US citizen due to US military dad. Cant get TW citizenship. Considered a “tourist” for all the years Iv lived in Taiwan. Hows that for human rights?

Can you imagine someone born in the USA and living there for decades who was still considered a “tourist”??[/quote]

Hey man… I know this thread is kind of dated but this comment really caught my attention. Wait a min… you’re born and raised in TW, acquired U.S. Citizenship via G.I. Dad, and yet not considered TW Citizen!!! How’d that work!!! You MUST have been considered Citizens of TAIPEI then (instead of TW)… in which what most Taipei people think of themselves anyway! LOL. This is goofy. What was the reason that you’re not a TW Citizen? You grew up there and you must have household registration… your mom is there… wait… maybe you speak only Mandarin and not Taiwanese (just kidding :laughing: ).

That’s the reason why even though I’m 2nd generation foreign born Taiwanese… my son & I still speaks fluent Taiwanese.

Share some details… it’ll be good for everyone to learn… this is sad and wrong. Yeah… sounds a lot like our President and I started to believe that Hawaii is part of Japan.[/quote]

Ok i havent visited this thread in a while. Yes born in Taiwan to TW mommy and American dad. But considered from birth to be US citizen. NO TW citizenship ever. Because at that time the laws said that if your dad is not taiwanese you dont get taiwan citizenship. That was that. Im now told that things were fuzzy in those days and actually probably could have gotten it, but hey never did. Never really needed to in those days because US citizens get five year multiple visas for free. It was easy to extend every 2 months just by virtue of having relatives in Taiwan. No hassle cept a few mins at the foreign affairs police station. And leaving Taiwan every six months for a quickie trip to HK> . And this requirement only after I was 21 or something.

SO it was no hassle not being a TW citizen at that time. I liked my trips to HK. Liked not having to serve in the ROC army. LIked not having to get permission to travel outside of TW .

And there was no work restrictions either. I could work and pay taxes like any local person, got health care and all that.

Simply put, if you were an American citizen in those days in Taiwan you pretty much could do just the same as if you were a local citizen.

Now theres restrictions on work, restrictions on visas, how long you can stay, etc etc etc.

IN those days, I got credit cards, bank accounts, work anywhere for anyone. Teach english if i wanted to. Whatever.

So the taiwan of today, being all first world wanna be and all that. Reciprocity and all that. Its now a different ballgame to live and work in TAiwan without citizenship. Its a lot lot harder.

I always figured my being a US citizen never really affected my life in Taiwan and it would always be that way.

Nowadays people born of one taiwanese parent (mom or dad) can apply for TW citizenship I understand and in fact if born in Taiwan you have to have a TW passport to even leave Taiwan.

Its not the same set of rules as when I was hatched.

[/quote]Ok i havent visited this thread in a while. Yes born in Taiwan to TW mommy and American dad. But considered from birth to be US citizen. NO TW citizenship ever. Because at that time the laws said that if your dad is not taiwanese you dont get taiwan citizenship. That was that. Im now told that things were fuzzy in those days and actually probably could have gotten it, but hey never did. Never really needed to in those days because US citizens get five year multiple visas for free. It was easy to extend every 2 months just by virtue of having relatives in Taiwan. No hassle cept a few mins at the foreign affairs police station. And leaving Taiwan every six months for a quickie trip to HK> . And this requirement only after I was 21 or something.

SO it was no hassle not being a TW citizen at that time. I liked my trips to HK. Liked not having to serve in the ROC army. LIked not having to get permission to travel outside of TW .

And there was no work restrictions either. I could work and pay taxes like any local person, got health care and all that.

Simply put, if you were an American citizen in those days in Taiwan you pretty much could do just the same as if you were a local citizen.

Now theres restrictions on work, restrictions on visas, how long you can stay, etc etc etc.

IN those days, I got credit cards, bank accounts, work anywhere for anyone. Teach english if i wanted to. Whatever.

So the taiwan of today, being all first world wanna be and all that. Reciprocity and all that. Its now a different ballgame to live and work in TAiwan without citizenship. Its a lot lot harder.

I always figured my being a US citizen never really affected my life in Taiwan and it would always be that way.

Nowadays people born of one taiwanese parent (mom or dad) can apply for TW citizenship I understand and in fact if born in Taiwan you have to have a TW passport to even leave Taiwan.

Its not the same set of rules as when I was hatched.[/quote]

Hey Tommy,

Good to hear from you! Sorry I got you all mixed up with Sat’s boy…

I know it’s up close and personal. Definitely appreciates you sharing your life. It must have suck to hatch at the wrong time and place. My family had the same rap like you did and took us a whole generation to fix this cluster-f*^@k. I definitely feel your pain.

Don’t mean to impose. If you don’t mind me asking… have you resolved your status? How’d you get by these days?

Really? Although, I don’t think I said I think you’re dumb…but…ok… :idunno:

If you mean posters on this forum, I think you’ll find most are DPP.

Why “point taken”? I put my hand up. And I think so could a few others on here.
Ok, how about a show of hands of how many can speak any one of the Aboriginal languages?

Can I say “Boa-wow! Point taken!” now?

No worries, mate. That’s what we’re here for. Tips, mutual advice, venting and poking fun! :thumbsup:

""Hey Tommy,

Good to hear from you! Sorry I got you all mixed up with Sat’s boy…

I know it’s up close and personal. Definitely appreciates you sharing your life. It must have suck to hatch at the wrong time and place. My family had the same rap like you did and took us a whole generation to fix this cluster-f*^@k. I definitely feel your pain.

Don’t mean to impose. If you don’t mind me asking… have you resolved your status? How’d you get by these days?""

NO resolution. Am living in the USA. Only way back to stay long term realistically would involve marrying a TW girl. Am still working on that one! Or if I could figure a good business to do and open up an liaison office in TW or something.

Its just dumb that with all the time I spent living in Taiwan and being born there and all that I cant get citizenship or right of abode without leaping thru rings of fire and other circus tricks.

And added to the fact that your mum is Taiwanese.

Thing is, now, if you apply for ROC citizenship you’ll have to renounce US citizenship.

I feel for you. I decade or so ago and my son would’ve been in the same position…

And added to the fact that your mum is Taiwanese.

Thing is, now, if you apply for ROC citizenship you’ll have to renounce US citizenship.

I feel for you. I decade or so ago and my son would’ve been in the same position…[/quote]

See the thing is i feel strongly against that requirement. TWnese are not forced to renounce TW citizenship if they get US citizenship.

I really am half Taiwanese and half American , ethnically. And I would like citizenship of both countries because I am of both countries. I am American as well as Taiwanese, truly so.

Why should i be forced to abandon my fatherland in order to live in my motherland.

I always wanted to do my thing in TAiwan till i was older, much much older then maybe retire in the USA once im tired of all the earthquakes, traffic, mass of humanity of Taiwan.

Taiwan is a lot of fun for the young but as you get older you may appreciate the small town ness of a berkeley for example.

I do not miss the quakes over there on the rock. I do not miss the traffic and the mass of humanity. I DO miss the food and of course the young ladies. I miss all the places to go. Im just used to the place doggone it. Its me HOME !! And now Im living in Exile (although CAlif IS my other home) :slight_smile:

I just dont want to be prevented from EITHER home. This half honky cat just wants to get BACK.

Preaching to the choir, mate. Who knows, maybe they’ll change it one day.

:slight_smile: ya but maybe when im fuckin eighty FIVE.

:slight_smile: ya but maybe when im fuckin eighty FIVE.[/quote]

I agree. It is more than dumb that you were born and raised in TW (with TW mom!) and not having Dual Citizenship. That is just wrong!

I struggled with the same thought about moving. I’m well established here professionally and my generation finally got off the legal rollercoaster. Like it or not, this is the only home I know of – even wanted to serve the country in uniform after College and Grad School – failed the physical test though! Make a long story short, my wife took a lot crap for marrying me and staying here. I’m sort immune to my surroundings but my wife sees it clearly. Now I see more with my son’s experiences and kind of prompt me into thinking of moving to TW. That’s how I bumped into all these personal stories here….

I tell you bro…. I don’t know if I’m ready to pull the trigger and start the whole legal rollercoaster again, now that the dust finally settled. I don’t even know what to do in TW and where to start professionally. Some here even thinks that I’m just a Hulk that can’t read.

Anyway, glad to hear that you’re safely back…. not having to float around stateless. Hope you meet a TW gal soon or get your business going! Good luck bro!

Really? Although, I don’t think I said I think you’re dumb…but…ok… :idunno:

If you mean posters on this forum, I think you’ll find most are DPP.

Why “point taken”? I put my hand up. And I think so could a few others on here.
Ok, how about a show of hands of how many can speak any one of the Aboriginal languages?

Can I say “Boa-wow! Point taken!” now?

No worries, mate. That’s what we’re here for. Tips, mutual advice, venting and poking fun! :thumbsup:[/quote]

Alright!! My bad! I gave in. You can wip my butt. :bow:

How about slightly different situation…Satellite…Satellite…calling Satellite TV

Request for next steps…

My parents both born in China (cough cough). Flee / Retreat / Run Run Run Lola to Taiwan with KMT.
Parents have shengfenzhen hao. The one that starts with the letter A indicating Taipei.
Parents don’t have / expired? hou ko anymore.
Parent’s don’t have / gave up? Taiwanese passport.
Parent’s became USA citizens in 1975/1976.

I was born in the USA in 1971. Hence older than 36 and while parents were still Legally Taiwanese.

What are my chances for Taiwan ROC Overseas Passport? - I have called TECO and they are sending me forms. Per my conversation with them, it looks like its pretty easy for me to get and then I can stay in Taiwan for 3 months at a time.

What are my changes to get an ID number with my Taiwan ROC Overseas Passport? Would like that in order to get TaibaoZhen.

Thoughts? next steps? I’ve started by reading Forumosa and calling TECO. I’m trying to get everything lined up before a trip back to Taipei this winter.

Thanks much.

Really? My son managed here quite fine in the same situation. He does not hold ROC Nationality either.

Overseas Passports do not have an ID number in them, without that no Taibaozheng from China laddy., Pay up as an American ( around US$400 nowadays I believe ) and geta 2 entry visa. Once you have resided here for a year as an overseas Chinese you can then apply for an ID card. I am not totally up on the rules as I did this a decade ago.

I went to Manila on my passport overseas Chinese passport, but when I tried to return to Taiwan the EVA Airlines staff refused to let me check in because when they look at my brand new passport with one exit stamp from Taiwan, and one entry stamp to Manila, they said I didn’t have a visa to for Taiwan, even though the name on the ticket was my Chinese name, and the fact the passport is written in English and Chinese. They sure were red faced when I asked them to look at the front cover of the passport. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hello,

I am in a fairly similar situation as many of the other posters. I’m currently 35 and was born in America to my parents who were both Taiwanese citizens at the time who were studying in the US. Since then, both parents have become naturalized US citizens. However, since they were both Taiwanese citizens at the time of my birth, am I eligible now for Taiwanese citizenship? If not, am I at least able to obtain a Taiwanese passport?

Thanks in advance!