How do I bring my Indian partner to Taiwan?

HI all.

I am a complete newbie here.
My daughter and I are coming to Taiwan in November. My daughter is going to school and I am going to teach.

My partner is back in India awaiting his Indian passport. He and I aren’t married.
I want to bring him to Taiwan and need to know if we need to get legally married before he can come live with us or if, once i get my ARC, I can sponsor him as family. If we could do it that way, could we marry here? Could he legally work here? If we needed to go to Thailand for marriage, could he get a visa from the embassy there?

Thanks so much. I have no idea who to call or email about this.

[quote=“Yeshi51”]My partner is back in India awaiting his Indian passport. He and I aren’t married. I want to bring him to Taiwan and need to know if we need to get legally married before he can come live with us or if, once i get my ARC, I can sponsor him as family. If we could do it that way, could we marry here? Could he legally work here? If we needed to go to Thailand for marriage, could he get a visa from the embassy there?[/quote]Yes, you need to be legally married in order to sponsor him for an JFRV ARC after you have your employment based ARC. Other than “legally married”, what other married conditions are there? Common law? If you are able to sponsor him for a JFRV ARC he will not be allowed to work, only reside with you in Taiwan as a JFRV sponsored by a foreigner doesn’t give unrestricted work rights to their spouse. You can get married in Taiwan at any Household Registration Office, but that’s not going to make the process for getting the JFRV ARC for your soon to be spouse any quicker. Don’t forget about the “not allowed to work” part of your spouse’s JFRV.

Two foreigners can marry in the household registration office?

I thought they would need to get married in the local law courts but they need to to register and also have their certificates showing they are both single and are free to marry.

Yeshi what is your nationality if I may ask? Also we assume your daughter may be the child of your partner but not necessarily so. It is sometimes easier to get married where your partner is now if you are also there with him, get your marriage certificate copied and notorized by the Taiwan Rep office in India so you you can get him an ARC as your husband.

Welcome to MY island

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Two foreigners can marry in the household registration office?[/quote]According to a posting I read on Forumosa. It’s something new. Well, relatively new. I believe it was an article about an American wanting to marry his Indonesian girlfriend. I’ll try to find it for reference and link it.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Two foreigners can marry in the household registration office?[/quote]According to a posting I read on Forumosa. It’s something new. Well, relatively new. I believe it was an article about an American wanting to marry his Indonesian girlfriend. I’ll try to find it for reference and link it.[/quote]Here are some Forumosa links for reference.

Two foreigners getting married in Taiwan

American marrying a Thai in Taiwan

Here is the most definitive answer I was able to find.[quote=“a572h0827230”]Dear Forumosans:

Yes, two Americans can get married in Taiwan and register your marriage in Household Registration Office. According to Act. 982 Taiwan Civil Law, Marriage, a civil contract entered into by both parties, shall be entered in written, and be wintessed by two adult, and be registered in Household Registration Office.

Shall you need any professional legal service in Taiwan, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Ching Xin Lin
Attorney-at-Law

Address: 13F, No. 27, Chung Shan North Road, Section 3, Taipei
Telephone: 25856688*212
E-mail: a572h0827230@gmail.com

Lin, Attorney at Law
Address: 13F, No. 27, Chung Shan North Road, Section 3, Taipei Telephone: 29810665
E-mail: a572h0827230@gmail.com Areas of practice: Child Custody, Marriage/Divorce, Estates, Contracts, Corporations, Trademark Law, Immigration, Criminal Law and Government Relations
Consulting Fees: 4,000 NTD per hour Representative before the Court: 80,000 -150,000NTD per case,
Marriage/Divorce/Collection only Translation fee, postage excluded[/quote]

Thank you to all of you for the helpful information.

I really appreciate all of the kind advice. It’s too bad that the marriage won’t help him to get an ARC.
It seems a little…nuts!

Thanks again!
Y

[quote=“Yeshi51”]Thank you to all of you for the helpful information.

I really appreciate all of the kind advice. It’s too bad that the marriage won’t help him to get an ARC.
It seems a little…nuts!

Thanks again!
Y[/quote]

The marriage gets him the visa, which gets him the ARC, but not the right to WORK.