How do I change my ARC to a JFRV?

Howdy Forumosa folks,

I’m an American woman with a Taiwanese hubby. I’m already on the household registration, have all the legit marriage documents, etc. Now my question is: how does one go about changing their ARC over to a JFRV?

Do I still need to proceed the nearest hospital for an annual health check? Do I need my employer to provide me with any documents or do I just need the following (copied and pasted info from the web):

1. Marriage Registration 結婚登記 jié​hūn​ dēng​jì​ (needed to apply for a JFRV)
  2. Application for Residence Visa 申請居留簽證 shēn​qǐng​ jū​liú​ qiān​zhèng​ (Application for JFRV)
    and finally, once that’s done,
  3. Apply for Alien Residence Certificate 申請外僑居留證 shēn​qǐng​ wài​qiáo​ jū​liú​zhèng​ (The JFRV card itself).

I know that this needs to be done at the Taiwanese spouse’s family’s household registration office. No problemo. But do I need to go through the same rigmarole ARC process again? If so, I need to get on it ASAP. Time is of the essence!

Thanks for your help!

:slight_smile:

[quote=“Ashlita”]Howdy Forumosa folks,

I’m an American woman with a Taiwanese hubby. I’m already on the household registration, have all the legit marriage documents, etc. Now my question is: how does one go about changing their ARC over to a JFRV?

Do I still need to proceed the nearest hospital for an annual health check? Do I need my employer to provide me with any documents or do I just need the following (copied and pasted info from the web):

1. Marriage Registration 結婚登記 jié​hūn​ dēng​jì​ (needed to apply for a JFRV)
  2. Application for Residence Visa 申請居留簽證 shēn​qǐng​ jū​liú​ qiān​zhèng​ (Application for JFRV)
    and finally, once that’s done,
  3. Apply for Alien Residence Certificate 申請外僑居留證 shēn​qǐng​ wài​qiáo​ jū​liú​zhèng​ (The JFRV card itself).

I know that this needs to be done at the Taiwanese spouse’s family’s household registration office. No problemo. But do I need to go through the same rigmarole ARC process again? If so, I need to get on it ASAP. Time is of the essence!

Thanks for your help!

:slight_smile:[/quote]

You will most likely need a health check done for applying. Once you are on the JFRV you do no longer need health checks. The only exception would be applying for an APRC or naturalisation.

Don’t forget that you still need to formally apply for an open work permit once you have the JFRV. It’s easy (according to a friend) but something that a few forget about.

That is not true. APRC holders must apply for an open work permit. The Employment Services Act exempts JFRV holders from the requirement.

I hate to have to say this, but if you do a search for this topic in the forums, you’ll find plenty of information. There are at least a couple of How To guides. They may be slightly out of date, but I don’t think much has changed lately.