How do I cook lions mane to taste like chicken?

All dried mushrooms have their own texture, the only dried that come out well are morel, shiitake and similar. Most others are just to make stocks, sauces when buying dried.

Sounds about right. But to note, my recent experiments are with fresh lions mane.

Fresh lions mane, do it like a steak, high heat fast!

Do you soak it at all? Any bitterness come through? Im all out of fresh, need to wait till the supermarket carries it again. Only a few times a year :frowning:

What does chicken taste like?

Real chicken has an almost turkey type taste when served alone. But most people in modern times dont get to experience that. Instead chicken is loved for its textures. Kfc is a great example of a bland cancer ridden, cancer causing, piece of crap with flavours added to it that make it appealing to everyone worldwide (except those involved in the farming/processing of said chickens).

So thats the idea of the mushroom. Something pretty bland but with that string like texture we like from thick white chicken meat. Although in this case its actually healthy…and commercially sustainable…important side notes :wink:

Check out some if the new research on lions mane. Though this thread is more not fugging up the cooking and making it chew right. Its one of those dishes that taiwanese shops get really really right…i cant seem to replicate it :frowning:

Saw a comment on youtube that said sugar or alcohol can help neutralize the bitterness.

It seems some aren’t bitter at all. I wonder if the bitter ones are more mature specimens.

Very interesting. Will be sure to crack the beer before cooking from now on :slight_smile:

Although the fresh ones still had bitterness, was nothing like previous attempts with rehydrated dry ones…those were simply not edible. But never did a side by side so not sure if it was my cooking style. Though previous attempts at cooking rehydrated ones were via soaking in room temp water.