How do I dispose of an old Desktop + Monitor?

It’s time for a long overdue upgrade to my PC (tower desktop) and monitor - which I’ve had for about 8 years. I also have an old laptop that went out years ago, but I didn’t know what to do with.

So I’m looking to dispose of my unwanted electronics. I’m assuming that the ordinary garbage and recycling trucks won’t take them.

Is there someone I call to arrange for a pickup?

I think you just take it down to the garbage trucks and give it to them. I’ve done that before.

I actually tried but the recycling guy said he couldn’t take it. Hence why I said I assume that they don’t.

Maybe I’ll try when there’s a different garbage man.

Where do you live? It might depend on the area. I’ve seen some info posters suggesting they only accept certain things on certain days, but the guys where I’ve lived seem to accept anything on any day.

If not then call 1999 or local EPA and arrange a large item disposal pickup, I guess? If it works for mattresses and stuff i guess they’ll take anything? Or they should be able to tell you what to do.

I might be interested in the laptop. What is it? We tend to disregard and dispose electronics too easily :slight_smile:

I’ve given old desktop to a nearby PC repairman who ran his business in a small shop. Just first ask a shop if they’ll take it, as there’s a bit of money to be made, because firms can try and salvage the metals in the heart of a PC.

1 Like

our local recycling station where the trucks dump stuff. it could just be they dont want it in the trucks, you can take in person. all the private recycling places in cities probably take them too. or will tell you which ones. they usually will pay you for them, can probably get a free tea out of it.

2 Likes

Recycling yard.

They’ll even pay you for it.

But you gotta take it there.

1 Like

I’ll take it.

I said it first :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As soon as I saw this thread I expected to see Marco’s hand up, seems he was beaten this time.

1 Like

Take out your HDD’s (hard disc drives or any drive in it that stores information)

But you can keep the SSD’s on.