How do I find Teaching Jobs?

Hi guys I am currently looking for a job as a English teacher. I know about 104.com.tw…but are there any others? in 104.com.tw you can’t just post your own resume like monster.com? Also I need to look for a job that’s close to my place…I might just drive around my area and hand out my resume to schools and such…is that a good idea in Taiwan? I think in Taiwan you will find a job much easier and faster through people connection. However I don’t know that many people here. So maybe for now I just stick 104.com.tw and search schools around me. So my highest educatoin is grad school but didn’t complete it…still have one more year to go and wont’ finish it for awhile…so how much salary is reasonable to ask? and any other things I should know about? thanks
btw how long after you post your resume in 104.com.tw till you get response from companies?

[edited by Hexuan 3 Aug 03: subject changed]

If you’re looking for a job as a teacher, there’s no need to check 104.com. Just walk in the door of ANY English school and you will get a job. Yes, it’s that easy. You are a native speaker, yes?

It depends how picky you are. If you just want a cram school teaching job at a chain school (Like Ko-Jen or Global, etc.) or a kindergarten, just walk in and tell them you want work.

If you want something better, such as a corporate job or a university position (without a Master’s though you can’t get a University position) you’ll have to make connections and check websites like 104.com. Beyond 104 and this fine website we’re using now, I can’t think of any others… except for Dave’s ESL Cafe.
www.eslcafe.com

I have never looked at 104.com, but I doubt there are many English teaching jobs advertised there. Try the classifieds in the China Post or Taipei Times. For online ads try this site, tealit.com or eslcafe.com.

As WarMonkey mentioned just approaching schools directly will land you a job. Also talk to other foreigners who are teaching English here and ask them if they know any schools that are hiring.

Thanks guys…Warmonkey I am not native speaker actually…actually I am ABC…so I think it won’t be that easy for me to find a job like you said walk into door…but probably still fair easily I think?

another question…other then teaching English I heard like there are branches of USA companies that are in Taipei and Kaohsiung? and they give really good pay…don’t really know much more details other then that…anyone know what am I talking about?

thanks again

[quote=“WarMonkey”]If you’re looking for a job as a teacher, there’s no need to check 104.com. Just walk in the door of ANY English school and you will get a job. Yes, it’s that easy. You are a native speaker, yes?

[/quote]

WRONG! Come to my school with that attitude and I will show you the door. There are other schools which operate similarly.

If you’re not picky, however, getting a job is not difficult. And in fact, it may be just as easy as the above poster pointed out.

[quote=“okaythen01”]Thanks guys…Warmonkey I am not native speaker actually…actually I am ABC…so I think it won’t be that easy for me to find a job like you said walk into door…but probably still fair easily I think?

another question…other then teaching English I heard like there are branches of USA companies that are in Taipei and Kaohsiung (Gaoxiong)? and they give really good pay…don’t really know much more details other then that…anyone know what am I talking about? thanks again[/quote]
Several of the chain schools I’ve seen (Ko-Jen, Global, David, etc.) hire ABC’s as regularly as others. No worries there. Just having a North American accent can get you a job (but nowadays, with many Taiwanese going to Australia, NZ & Britain, those accents are just as welcome).

USA companies? Depends what position you’re looking for. Most of them have localized already- that is, they hire exlusively local people (at a much lower wage then they’d hire someone in the States). The only foreigners I know working for Western companies here in Taiwan were either

• sent over as a manager from the home office (not hired locally)
    or
  • got hired in Taiwan because an English-related job came up, such as technical writing or communications/PR or sales.

Western companies with branches in Taiwan rarely advertise for jobs that are open to foreigners. You’ll have to network when you get here.

Good luck. :sunglasses:

that was great help…thatnks a lot guys…

anymore advice would be appreciated…thanks

My advice is not to walk into the door. It gives a bad impression.

My advice is not to walk into the door. It gives a bad impression.[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oops too late I went to and walked into few places. Some people say just walk in and some say no…I guess it depends but I already started…what’s worse is that my background is Chinese so I don’t look white…so walking in prolly real bad for me heh…hmmm I will check around then…thanks

[quote=“okaythen01”]oops too late I went to and walked into few places. [/quote]He said it’s not wise to walk into the door, because you will hit yourself, fall over, and look very silly, he suggests you open it first,and then walk through the door. :unamused: