How Do I Get Home? Your Suggestions Needed

DB, that’s an excellent idea. This is why I posted this thread–I need ideas from more than just my own brain. Most of you guys have been great.

So I could keep my Friday booking in London and pre-book a ticket out of Turkey (a colleague found reasonably-priced tickets going to Singapore) or Greece (Emirates is happy to take the business now, and tickets are not expensive). I could then wait and watch for the next few days. If it becomes fairly clear that I’m not going to get out of London on Friday, I could then get over to the Continent. There are still ways to get over there–Eurostar is selling tickets, at double or triple the normal price, the sickening fucks.

From there, I hope that my gamble on the pre-booked ticket works out. I’ll book in Turkey or Greece only if they haven’t been affected and it looks like the could will not drift that way.

Edit: My boss and a few others just sent messages saying I’d be better off going to Spain, then doing the Madrid-Dubai-Taipei route. They say getting to Greece or Turkey would take too long.

Otherwise, I may be in London for another two weeks. That would be disastrous for my work and extremely hard on my family.

Yeah, that’s probably what I’d do.

That’s outrageous. Are there no regulations against price gouging?

Wow. Well, I hope you can get out quickly. And try to remain calm and keep it all in perspective.

DB, thanks again. I am calm. What probably comes off like panic to those who don’t know me is actually just me taking action to solve a problem. I don’t like sitting around and waiting for things to get better. I like to look at the possibilities, discuss them with people, and then take action.

Like most people, I’ve got a lot at stake here, not least of which is my family’s sense of security and well-being. You can imagine how it might feel to learn that your spouse, or your dad, isn’t coming home for God knows how long. It isn’t a very happy state of being. My wife is a very strong woman and she is handling this situation well, but she wants to have her husband home, and my daughters are happier and more secure when daddy is around.

Remember that this situation is bad enough that the governments around Europe are beginning to activate “rescue” operations to get people home. It’s a full-blown crisis in general, and a disaster for many people personally.

So I’m a little high-strung, but I’m not freaking out. I’m under control. I’m just trying to take action to figure out a solution. Oh, and British ales are certainly helping!

Thanks again for your support. It’s too bad Buttercup and TomHill have quit Forumosa. I could use their wit and wisdom right now.

BBC Update: Austria is now open, as is southern Italy. How long does it take to get from Brussels or Paris to Austria?

I think Greece was never closed but Turkey and Italy were too, so keep that in mind too.

I guess the best ways to go to Greece for you would be train from the UK down to Italy and take ferry from there (be carefull, France has also still a strike on the train workers, so while the Eurostar might work, you could get stuck when switching to the normal train system).

Right now Austria, Italy and most countries east and south of that opened again but most of them have lot’s of people and goods backed up, so these countries might need more time to sort that out than countries like Greece or Turkey.

To reach Turkey might be a bit harder, I think the legendary Orient Express stoped a year ago (Paris to Istanbul), that would have been worth taking just for the travel itself. I think the only train connections left are rather long and complicated now with lot’s of transfers. You might also have to go to Italy and than use ferries from there.

Depanding on which trains you get on an which route you take, I think the fastest will be around 13 to 14 hours with maybe 1 time changing the train. It can go up to more if you get on slower trains, have to change more often, etc. guess 16 hours and more…

There should be some night trains too where you can get on and sleep for a couple of hours too but I am not really familiar with all that stuff anymore, too long out of Europe.

Thanks mingshah. Yeah, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had to see some lovely places I’ve never been to in order to get out of here. Bracknell isn’t the most interesting town on the planet.

But the focus is on how to get to the most lovely place in the world–my home.

[quote=“Tomas”]Thanks mingshah. Yeah, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had to see some lovely places I’ve never been to in order to get out of here. Bracknell isn’t the most interesting town on the planet.

But the focus is on how to get to the most lovely place in the world–my home.[/quote]

Oh, sorry, than I have to tell you better don’t go through Austria, just awfully nice and we don’t want to bring the end of the world close now, do we? :wink:

Webpages you can book online train tickets:

http://www.tgv-europe.com/

never used this one but than again usually just booked over Deutsche Bahn or the Austrian equivalent…

I feel your pain Tomas. Can imagine it is far from fun as for a few other millions there.

As for advice… well, things seems to change each 6 hours so I will refrain. I do think the Spain - Finland-HK might be cumbersome and loooooong. anything flying from south Spain to Dubai, Emirates and then forward to Asia might indded be wiser.
one thing: do not book a flight if the chosen airport is an interconnecting one (like Bangkok is a stop over between Taipei and Amsterdam)
The planes are not flying only a half route my company’s Travel desk warned our employees.
Wish you especially Luck - and patience…

Since this is just pointing out options, and not knowing how or when a flight can be secured, or how long this cloud will cause disruption, as an extreme measure, a cruise boat to the US like the QE2 takes about 6 days!! But, from the States a flight back to Taiwan should be no problem.

http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/transat.htm

These are good suggestions guys. Keep them coming.

Our old friend Truant has just written me to offer me his couch in Vienna if I need it, and there’s my friend in Brussels who has made the same offer.

I’m reaching out, and the good people of the world are responding. I’ll get this figured out one way or another.

The cargo shipping freight business should start picking up a couple of new routes. (speculation: But dhl and fedex still have promises to keep).

Freight ships do offer limited accommodation. Container ships might be a last straw option.

Another idea. Phone up the white man van companies. (The smaller couriers that deliver packages and light weight objects) Maybe, you can get a lift from place A-B, and then connect to C

snapshot of flights in the air

Three Royal Navy ships will be drafted to help return Britons stranded abroad as UK airspace remains restricted.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8628878.stm

#getmehome: Social media and stranded travellers

bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters … d_str.html

Things are looking up–several airports will open tomorrow, though Heathrow is still shut down.

Stay tuned (if you’re following along)…

How about the Trans-Siberian? Another notch on your traveler’s belt! :laughing:

They are opening up some routes for thin traffic flying Visual Flight Rules (oh lordy) and below 18,000 feet.

And the sliver of hope we had for a moment there is now fading:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8631144.stm

New ash cloud on the way.

The BBC keeps calling this a “dynamic situation.” Dynamic indeed.

Continent, here I come, looks like.

Tomas, hope you can find a solution to this difficult dilemma and get back to your home safely and quickly. Maybe get over to Rome or Dubrovnic as a base and have some fun. Then catch a ferry / plane as needed. I just think that ANYWHERE in Europe is more pleasant than England, so if you have a chance do some exploring. Once there, even rough travelling is an adventure. Anyway, good luck.

This situation is extremely dynamic, and it changes quickly. I’d love to know someone who can loan me a crystal ball.

Days ago, when we knew we couldn’t fly the next day, most of us thought we’d be delayed by a day or two. That doesn’t warrant an immediate trip to Italy or Croatia.

There are no trains to Rome until the weekend, but there may be a flight or two I could catch. It’s one option I’m exploring.

I’m not going to give up my seat on my Friday flight out of London until I’m sure the airport will be closed.

Tomas, see if you can get to China Airlines. They will restart teh Rome-TPE flights:

[quote]Meanwhile, China Airlines (CAL) said yesterday that it is scheduled to resume flights between Taipei and Rome today.

A Taipei-Rome flight will also be offered on Thursday and Sunday. CAL’s flights from Taipei to and from London and Amsterdam, however, have all been canceled.

Flights between Taipei and Bangkok will continue, CAL added.

Today’s EVA Airways’ flights between Taipei and London, and Taipei and Amsterdam have been canceled.

CAL said it has two aircraft stranded at Frankfurt Airport and about nine flight crews trapped at five airports in Europe that it services.

EVA Airways has about six flight crews stranded in Europe.

Passengers are advised to contact the airlines for updated information.
[/quote]
From Taipei Times

CNN was showing several of its reporteers taking vans/taxis from one country to another. Really bad for the kidneys, but, hey, at least they got nice roads.

EVA might go to Vienna, too.

I like that CI route: Rome-DEL-TPE

Southern Italy was always open I think, so was Spain. But how is he supposed to get there? The ferries and trains are all fully booked. But they are at least moving. People are basically hitching rides all over Europe.

I believe Scotland and North England are open for the moment, don’t think that includes Manchester. If was there I would give you (and a couple more) a ride to Edinburgh or Glasgow myself if the trains are full. Oh wait, Edinburgh and Glasgow Airports websites says they’re closed, so I dunno. The Rome Airport Website has exploded from overuse, so I don’t know what’s happening there.

Which date is your flight? you said the end of next week, is that the 23rd or the 30th? Even if everything magically opens now, there will be such a backlog you’ll have to wait. 30th might still be OK.