How do I make my bread stale?

How do I get my bread to go stale and not moldy? If I leave it out it always goes moldy before stale and crumbly.

You have to prevent mold spores from reaching it.

How do I do that? If I keep it it a bag it goes really yucky but if I lay it out I seem to get some really dark mould on it.

Try leaving it in the microwave for a few days, (without using the microwave obviously)

Are you trying to make bread crumbs for a recipe? You can toast the bread lightly several times, or leave it in an oven set on low with the door cracked open, to dry it out. Or put it, unwrapped, in the refrigerator. When it’s dry, pop it in a food processor.

Also, if using a bag, use a paper bag and don’t seal it tightly. Don’t use plastic, which traps the moisture inside.

You’ll want to dry it out as much as possible.

No, he’s trying to reenact the whole prisoner "stale bread and water "thing as part of a fad diet.

Stuff you!!! Well actually stuff the chicken. Wanted to make some stuffing for the bird and the packaged bread crumbs just didn’t feel right.

Could do with some paxo.
Anybody ever bought buttermilk in Taiwan to make ranch dressing?

You could microwave the bread until it dries up, or put it in a toaster on lowest setting… the possibilities are endless.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Are you trying to make bread crumbs for a recipe? You can toast the bread lightly several times, or leave it in an oven set on low with the door cracked open, to dry it out. Or put it, unwrapped, in the refrigerator. When it’s dry, pop it in a food processor.

Also, if using a bag, use a paper bag and don’t seal it tightly. Don’t use plastic, which traps the moisture inside.[/quote]
Mr Bones nailed it. It’s exactly what I do.

[quote=“jimipresley”]
Mr Bones nailed it. It’s exactly what I do.[/quote]

You make your own breadcrumbs? :ohreally:

[quote=“Buttercup”]

You make your own breadcrumbs? :ohreally:[/quote]
Damn right I do. The packaged stuff is garbage.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Buttercup”]

You make your own breadcrumbs? :ohreally:[/quote]
Damn right I do. The packaged stuff is garbage.[/quote]

You make food which requires the addition of breadcrumbs? :ohreally: I just don’t have that image of you …

[quote=“Buttercup”]

You make food which requires the addition of breadcrumbs? :ohreally: I just don’t have that image of you …[/quote]
My dear Ms Buttercup, I am actually a bit of a bourgeois gourmet (as much as it breaks my proletarian heart to admit it). I do a lot of cooking, and I don’t mean fried eggs, French toast and baked beans. :smiley:

Golly!

Buy real bread … and not an over processed flavored sponge … real bread goes stale the moment it leaves the oven … :ohreally: :ponder:

Basically, if you want to make breadcrumbs, you don’t want the bread to be “stale”, you want it to be dry. Trying to dry it out in a humid environment is going to make it mouldy. Good for chlamydia, but not very tasty. Speed up the process in a well-ventilated oven.
Edit: And as Mr Pie pointed out, get decent bread. That 7-11 shite is not going to cut it. As the Italians say: Don’t cook with wine that you wouldn’t drink.