How do I make my computer stop asking me to "log in"?

Every time I boot up my computer, it asks me for a username and password to “log in to Windows”. Since I’m the only person who ever uses this computer, I don’t have any username or password, so I just hit “Cancel”, and then it continues to boot up without any problem. But still, it’s very annoying and a waste of time. So I would like to make it so that it stops asking me this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I’m running Windows ME, which is almost the same as Windows 98, but very different from Windows 2000, XP, or NT.

Mark

Try typing in a username and not a password and pressing ok. If there aren’t any other usernames on your computer, that should get rid of it. Otherwise, http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-103

network properties
log on
windows log on

Answerer,

I tried typing in a usename but no password, but then after I re-booted up, it no longer asked me for a username, but it still asked me for a password. (It was the same pop-up window as before, but then the username was automatically filled in, instead of being blank.)

But thanks a lot for giving me that link. I went there, and it said to go to Control Panel -> Passwords -> Change Passwords -> leave password blank. Well, that didn’t work either. But then I tried this:

Control Panel -> Passwords -> User Profiles -> All users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings.

It worked! Now it no longer asks me for my username or password when I boot up! (Finally!) Thank you very much, Answerer!

P.S. Robi666, I already tried that (Control Panel -> Network -> Primary Network Logon -> Windows Logon) about a week ago, and it didn’t work. I think that only works if you have never set up a username or password before.

Though I’m loathe to give any advice about Windows (an “evil” operating system), I guess I should be nice and point out that the password does have an important security function even if you are the only one with physical access to the computer. If the Administrator can log in without a password, then anybody who “finds” your machine online can log in as Administrator. And then they “own” your machine - can install viruses and whatever else they like. And by the way, you should never be surfing the Internet with the Administrator account, or with any other “privileged” account (that is, one with Administrator privileges).

So at the very least, give the Administrator a password even if you don’t want individual users to have one (actually, users should have one too, and it’s OK for Administrator and users to have the same password). Choose a password that you can remember easily, like the name of your “significant other,” or ARC number.

Ignore this advice at your peril.

regards,
Robert

Smart advice by Robert. However, there are some programs that require the user to be Administrator to work. One such program is “Dr. Eye”. It’s extremely annoying. :fume:

Thanks for your advice, Robert. However, I use a software firewall (“Sygate Personal Firewall”, which is freeware). I thought that as long as I use a firewall, then nobody can access my computer through the internet without my permission. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

an IT friend told me that no firewall is bullet proof. There is always a way around

[quote=“robert_storey”]

So at the very least, give the Administrator a password even if you don’t want individual users to have one (actually, users should have one too, and it’s OK for Administrator and users to have the same password). Choose a password that you can remember easily, like the name of your “significant other,” or ARC number.

Ignore this advice at your peril.

regards,
Robert[/quote]

Choose a password that combines numbers and letters

An alternative to Windows Explorer is mozilla 1.7.2
mozilla.org

I have neard this is more secure and less of a target than Windows Explorer

Good advice, but does it apply to Mark Nagel? If he’s using WinME I’m pretty sure there isn’t a disfference between admin and regular users. Let me know if I’m wrong. You also make a good point about durfing with admin privileges, something I shouldn’t be doing right now :blush: .

That’s not the issue here. Windows ME doesn’t ask for username/password.
Your username/password is for local (“console”) login - meaning if your computer is stolen…Goodbye privacy.

Even with Sygate, you’re open to spyware and trojans (from installing spyware-shareware software and misc. viruses).

If you have some money and want to hassle, consider upgrading to Windows XP. The latest service pack (SP2) comes out next week and it includes personal firewall and greatly enhanced security.
Then, get Mozilla Firefox 0.9.2 (mozilla.org) for more secure browsing.

The Administrator password thing was a non-issue before Windows 2000, since sharing was turned off by default and you couldn’t run any commands remotely.

However, with Windows 2000, if you don’t set an Administrator password, anyone who comes along can run stuff, install stuff and otherwise do whatever they please with your computer. This problem went away again with Windows XP that limited network access to guest privileges if you don’t set an Admin password.

All in all, if you’re going to set one, make sure it’s a combination of letters and numbers that’s not easily guessable.