How do I prove my marriage is genuine? Help

Hey, Satellite of Love,

What if they took their digital camera, set the date for say, 2002-2005, dressed up in wigs and bell bottoms, danced the Macarena, ate egg tarts, stood in line at Mr. Donut (with some extras), and documented all the great times they had before (wink, wink) they got married?

Whattayathink?

Yeah, my husband is Nigerian, therefore part of the problem is he’s black and from a third-world country. The standard of proof the gov’t requires is higher. He doesn’t live in Taiwan anymore, and he cannot get any kind of visa to Canada, so to see him I have to go to Nigeria.
The visa officer at my interview didn’t seem to believe anything we said. I’ve been to Nigeria 3 times to see my husband, but the visa officer actually asked me how she was supposed to know whether I stayed with my husband or was just travelling around (Delta State and Lagos!) by myself. We have lots of photos together, but she dismissed them because none of them were romantic. We have lots of phone bills, but all from me to him, because in Nigeria therre are no land lines and people just use cell phones with prepaid cards - she found this suspicious as well, even though she lives in Ghana and the phone situation is the same there.

[quote=“bababa”]Yeah, my husband is Nigerian, therefore part of the problem is he’s black and from a third-world country. The standard of proof the gov’t requires is higher. He doesn’t live in Taiwan anymore, and he cannot get any kind of visa to Canada, so to see him I have to go to Nigeria.
The visa officer at my interview didn’t seem to believe anything we said. I’ve been to Nigeria 3 times to see my husband, but the visa officer actually asked me how she was supposed to know whether I stayed with my husband or was just travelling around (Delta State and Lagos!) by myself. We have lots of photos together, but she dismissed them because none of them were romantic. We have lots of phone bills, but all from me to him, because in Nigeria therre are no land lines and people just use cell phones with prepaid cards - she found this suspicious as well, even though she lives in Ghana and the phone situation is the same there.[/quote]

Ask if they want to dust you for prints.

[quote=“bababa”]Yeah, my husband is Nigerian, therefore part of the problem is he’s black and from a third-world country. The standard of proof the gov’t requires is higher. He doesn’t live in Taiwan anymore, and he cannot get any kind of visa to Canada, so to see him I have to go to Nigeria.
The visa officer at my interview didn’t seem to believe anything we said. I’ve been to Nigeria 3 times to see my husband, but the visa officer actually asked me how she was supposed to know whether I stayed with my husband or was just travelling around (Delta State and Lagos!) by myself. We have lots of photos together, but she dismissed them because none of them were romantic. We have lots of phone bills, but all from me to him, because in Nigeria therre are no land lines and people just use cell phones with prepaid cards - she found this suspicious as well, even though she lives in Ghana and the phone situation is the same there.[/quote]How about this? You are legally residing and working in Taiwan, right? Why not have him come back to Taiwan and you can sponsor him for a JFRV marriage ARC. You both can live together here in Taiwan and apply for your spousal visa to Canada from here. Could that work? Firstly, you would be together. Secondly, Taiwan has got to be better than Nigeria. Lastly, if you’re both living together in Taiwan that might look better in the eyes of the Canadian immigration officers who will make the decision on whether or not he can immigrate to Canada with you.

You both met here in Taiwan right? What was he doing in Taiwan at the time you met? Is there any reason he can’t come back to Taiwan?

Have you called Satellite TV yet? I’ve met him and he’s a really good guy and he knows his stuff when it comes to immigration issues. He would be the best person to help you with any appeals for your application.

Good luck.

(double post) Moderators please remove

How frustrating!

I just want to say how sorry I am for you.

What has this world come to?! :fume:

If I couldn’t bring my wife back home because some immigration official didn’t believe our love was real, I’d be through he roof!

Good luck, and keep trying.

yeah MAJOR pissant

Have you also looked into and found out if he’s interested in study?

I had a friend in a similar situation, but he managed to get on an arts course (so had loads of free time and it interested him as well) so in his spare time he was out making money doing artistic things (which he was paid for, but should he have been questioned that would have been ‘portfolio’ building). That may work for the states?

I know Taiwan also offers scholarships if that could be a possible? Or would be loads cheaper to get him enrolled at shida and Im sure they would accept your money and he as a dependent for those requirements?

For the UK you need to prove 2 years of living together (and can then enter on "cohabiting visa (ie, homosexual couple, but cannot discriminate against this on grounds of sexulaity - gotta love the EU!)) I assume canadia would have similar? i also discussed it before with a friend in immigration who said the 2 years is key, and since you’ll be in taiwan, it wont be hard to get 1000’s of photos!!!

http://asianposes.com/

Us living together in Taiwan is probably out - he was in Taiwan doing business froom 1999 to 2005, but that business is no longer lucrative. He’s said Japan would probably be OK. However, I just want to go live with him in Canada - which is his preference as well.
One thing I find very upsetting is that everything people have suggested as proof that our marriage is genuine, and everything that the Canadian immigration website offers as examples of proof, that is, photos, emails, phone bills, travel documents, etc., are all things that we had when we applied, and he was still rejected.
I know one thing the visa officer is going to mention as a basis for rejection is our incompatibility, and I know that on paper we don’t look compatible, but I was hoping our 9-year relationship would show that differences in education, cultural background and language don’t always matter.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Just read that the Canadian immigration rejects most applicants from southern china and africa, so you are not alone.