How do I say "prepaid SIM card"

I’m not happy with card I’ve got. It’s an internation prepaid from Telestial, and I think I want a local phone number. I’m on 90 day visa free entry.

So I figure I’ll trudge through the rain to a 7-eleven or an electronics store. Maybe they speak enough English, maybe not. If I can say it in Mandarin, I’ve got the bases covered. Besides, I’m trying to learn the language anyway.

Thanks.

I’ve always heard and used SIM卡 (SIM ka3) with no problems in understanding. I have a prepaid SIM through 7-11; they call it 預付卡 (wu4 fu4 ka3) and 儲值卡 (chu3 zhi2 ka3) at this site.

You can always just show them your phone and do body language.

Mine too, but it’s “yu4 fu4 ka3” in fact.

Thanks. I’ll try that tomorrow.

Mine too, but it’s “yu4 fu4 ka3” in fact.[/quote]
Whoops :blush: Thanks for the correction.

Don’t feel bad I’ve thought it was “yi4 fu4 ka3” for a long time. It’s been working though lol.

Do they actually sell the SIM card by itself? when i was over there I had to sign some funky contracts and stuff to get one… (was not even a plan, had to keep buying chunghwa cards).

Nevermind, my original response was dumb. When I add new numbers to my Chinese cell phone, it allows me to load it onto my SIM卡.

When I bought my 7-11 SIM card back in 2008, I had to sign some kind of documents. It was a bit of a hassle because I didn’t have an ARC yet (I had been in Taiwan only 2 weeks or so). I showed them my passport, then I figured out they also wanted a driver’s license. I presented my US license, which at first they weren’t going to accept. I stuck to my guns, put on a sad, helpless foreigner face, and finally some manager type made some phone calls. Eventually it got sorted out. I believe I even had to put my fingerprint on the contract.

I think it all depends on which clerk you get. If one place doesn’t know how to do it, go to another. There are plenty. :sunglasses:

When I bought my 7-11 SIM card back in 2008, I had to sign some kind of documents. It was a bit of a hassle because I didn’t have an ARC yet (I had been in Taiwan only 2 weeks or so). I showed them my passport, then I figured out they also wanted a driver’s license. I presented my US license, which at first they weren’t going to accept. I stuck to my guns, put on a sad, helpless foreigner face, and finally some manager type made some phone calls. Eventually it got sorted out. I believe I even had to put my fingerprint on the contract.

I think it all depends on which clerk you get. If one place doesn’t know how to do it, go to another. There are plenty. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Actually that’s what i first tried, to no avail, I ended up taking a Taiwanese friend with me, who also signed some stuff, and they went through almost all of my papers to get write it all down (I honestly believe i was the first foreigner to get a sim in THAT particular place). Mind you, this was at one of those small Chunghwa centers, i got my sim, i got a 2nd hand sony ericsson and was good to go. I remember i gave the sim card to some other foreigner going to TW a couple years later, she called me saying it didn’t work anymore heh.