How do I transfer an image from a document to a JPEG file?

My friend gave me a picture of herself, but the picture is inside an MS Word document, and she no longer has the original JPEG file. Now I can’t figure out how to transfer the picture from the MS Word document to a JPEG file.

I already tried copying and pasting the image into MS Paint, but that didn’t work because the image became very unclear, with only 256 colors.

Here’s the picture that she gave me:

marknagel.com/erisa.doc

She looks lovely.

On my mac, I can save that pic as a JPEG, I have it here. Do you want me to post it here, or I can email it to you. Nevermind, Ironman beat me to it. On a mc, right click, save as JPEG. Upload to flickr to enlarge image. The end.

I had to make the file into a PDF so I could access the image.

Interesting problem though for windows users of Word. I’d like to know the trick as well.

With the document open, you can do a screen capture by pressing the Print Screen key, then open Paint and paste the screen capture image into it. Then select the image area and “copy”. Open a new blank file in Paint and paste the image into it. It worked for me, anyway.

(Dunno why the image is not dispalying…hold on…)

(Answer…bmp image cannot be displayed for some reason.)

Note: If you open the document file in Word, don’t click on the image before doing the screen capture, or you get little squares at the corners and edges. If you then copy the whole image into Paint, you have to wipe out the marks manually, as I did. Alternatively, if you use Microsoft Word Viewer instead of Word to view the file, you won’t get the little squares even if you click on the image, because it is not an editing program. First you have to download and install Word Viewer, then open the program and “open a new file”. For a file on the internet, you can copy the URL for the name of the file to open.

p.s. Does anyone know whether there is a way to make Word Viewer the helper program for viewing .doc files in Internet Explorer, instead of Word?

p.p.s. I will remove the above image after a while, because the web space is not really mine - I just manage it.

Another way is a screen grabbing program. I got a program called Screen Grab Pro by Traction Software. Free download. It is great for partial screen capture as well. You can just grab a tiny part of the screen you need.

What would be worthwhile is working out where the files are stored in the doc so you could access them. I searched around a bit. Still got no idea.

Anybody…bored…need a challenge…

Or you can just:
Open the document in Word
Go to File>Save As
Change the Save As Type to Web Page and then Save

In the place where you save the new version you’ll have a document called erisa.htm and a folder called erisa_files where your images will be.

[quote=“Rik”]Or you can just:
Go to File>Save As

In the place where you save the new version you’ll have a document called erisa.htm and a folder called erisa_files where your images will be.[/quote]

I tried that before I went the pdf way. I’ll go at it again. It is a handy trick to have available.

[quote=“Rik”]Or you can just:
Go to File>Save As

In the place where you save the new version you’ll have a document called erisa.htm and a folder called erisa_files where your images will be.[/quote]
Thanks! It worked!

But why are there two different image files, one which is PNG and the other which is JPG? The two images are both pictures of Erisa, but the PNG image is 587 x 414 pixels, whereas the JPG image is 455 x 323 pixels.

When you Save As Web Page, Word performs a number of optimizations to try and avoid incompatibilities or improve performance of the page when it is displayed in a web browser. Changes include, reducing the resolution of images to make the files smaller so they download faster, and converting .png files to .jpg because old browsers cannot recognize .png files. You can find some of these settings under
Tools>Options>General>Web Options

This automatic optimization means you get 2 files in the [document_name]_files folder: the original embedded file (in this case the .png) and the ‘optimized’ image (the .jpg)

:slight_smile: That’s cuz Office for Mac is made by a different business unit with people that at least have some idea of what people want.