šŸ˜· COVID - How do I travel to Taiwan to my hotel with a bicycle during COVID?

How do I travel to Taiwan to my hotel with a bicycle during COVID? Can I book a larger taxi to bring my bike to the hotel? Should I get an orucase so it fits in the back of a car?

Post it?

I wouldnā€™t worry too much about it. Thereā€™s larger taxis at the airport, but I would call in advance to see if you can book one.

I would also consider booking a larger quarantine hotel if itā€™s a big box!

2 Likes

Ask for a Toyota Wish. The seats in the back row can be flattened to create more room.

If the bike box is too big and both seats have to be flattened, passenger has to sit in the front seat, that may be a no go.

This will depend on the size of the bike box, but if itā€™s a complete bike, box is going to be a bit big.

2 Likes

I do not think they allow you to sit in front in quarantine taxis - front is walled off by a plastic tarp like a bubble boy.

There are full sized vans but they are maybe 1 in 30 of all vehicles. Also the line is simply you get what comes when its your turn up (its pretty hectic as there are so many people and you gotta fill out forms while walking in the quick moving line, and they load several taxis at once).

There is a line for ordering specific sized taxis but it has an unknown wait time. You might be able to fit a bike in the Rav4 taxi which is like 1/3 to 1/2 of all taxis.

Make sure you have your hotel reservation docs on hand when at the taxi line. You dont tell the driver where to go, the assistants in the line have you fill out paperwork and they tell the driver where to go.

1 Like

You wonā€™t need it for 2 weeks, Iā€™m assuming. This might help.

1 Like

If OPā€™s box wonā€™t fit in a Wish, it wonā€™t fit in one of those :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks all for the insights.

The few options I have are:

1. Fly with bike as oversized check-in baggage to Taiwan. Store Bike at airport
  2. Ship bike to Taiwan using some type of shipping service
  3. Fly with bike as oversized check-in baggage to Taiwan. Wait for a full-sized van for 1/30 taxis or rav4 for 1/3 of taxis
  4. Fly with bike as oversized check-in baggage to Taiwan. Pack bike small enough to fit in trunk of any vehicle https://orucase.com/

Iā€™m deciding to go with option 4 because I donā€™t want the extra logistic delays of waiting for an over-sized taxi, waiting for shipping by air/freight to Taiwan, going to airport. It just seems easier to have the bike with me at all times.

1 Like

lol, I was actually planning to ride my bike on a trainer while quarantined for 2 weeks. Iā€™m trying to ship a budget bike trainer to the hotel and have the hotel hold it for me so I can ride the bike indoors in my room.

Thereā€™s that too. Just giving you options in case you come across ā€œcanā€™t do itā€ when itā€™s really ā€œdonā€™t want to do itā€.