How do non-Asian women feel about Asian Guys?

I was with a good friend who is foreign and has lived here a long time with his TW wife and now 2 kids. The other day he asked what my plans were, really asking if I was going back to the US soon. I told him I liked it here and was reviewing options to stay. He smiled and said “yes, the men love it here and the women hate it and go back”, smiling as if I understood. Yeah, I do know why the men like it here, but for the women, I really do not know.

After thinking about it, if true, thought it might be relationship based. Maybe they do not form the same type of relationships that we do and stay. First I want to say I do not see a lot of Non-Asian women here (sample size is really small), but when I do they are usually with a Non-Asian guy or with no guy at all. I rarely see Non-Asian women with Asian guys. So is there a preference here, or just bad data?

You’re from the U.S.?
Thought your interest remains more in that certain region of Spain that deserves independence.

1 Like

I know quite a bit of non Asian women with Asian men in Taiwan. My gf was one of them.

I guess it depends.

But I do notice that not only do less none Asian women come, less seem to stay long term or permanently.

Japan and Korea however gets a lot of women that love living there. I guess Taiwan isn’t the premier destination.

3 Likes

In-depth academic research on the bleeding obvious:

The paper identifies this type of behavior as “tie-signs.” These include initiating eye contact, butting in between him and a rival, touching a man, hugging him and laughing at his jokes. He explained that these kinds of actions can be effective at signaling to potential competitors that they need to stay away, regardless of whether the woman performing them actually does have a connection with the man, because observers would not want to be perceived as “mate poachers.”
“My prior research, as well as the research of others, indicates that mate poachers are not viewed positively,” Wade explained, to the surprise of no one.

https://www.salon.com/2021/04/25/how-straight-women-flirt-nonverbally-study/

I know five white women who are married, or in two cases were married, to Taiwanese men, if that means anything.

1 Like

I’m not sure whether non Asian is racial or nationality, but I know several with Asian guys either ways. Not all of the guys are Taiwanese.

TAS is where I saw the most non Asian looking women with Asian looking guys.

?

Taipei American School.

Sometimes cultural expectations get in the way, I think. Even for Taiwanese people, the excess of men wanting to marry over women results in a lot of brides coming in from overseas.

If its true, its more likely to be they dont like the culture here rather than they dont like the male asian races. If they didnt like the race, they likely wouldnt have consentual sex with them.

Isnt that like a high school?

Should it be “girls”? People do date in high school.

Just a wild stab in the dark, but could it be wealthy parents?

There are a lot of us foreign women married (and having kids!) with Taiwanese men. We are also choosing to stay and live in Taiwan. I say from my own personal experience and the majority of my friend group here.

The difference is that we are a much smaller group than the foreign men married to Taiwanese women group. So we are more dispersed. But we are still here.

8 Likes

that is my guess. I just saw them.

I agree with those who are saying it’s more about culture than race. That whole idea among traditional Taiwanese where a woman is supposed to be a slave to her mother-in-law isn’t going to fly for most Western women.

4 Likes

Some western women (certainly not all) think the men here are too domineering and, well, patriarchal in their approach to relationships (no western woman wants to live with the Taiwanese mother-in-law once they get married).

1 Like

Many Taiwanese girls think the same too. Literally all of my girl friends think the same and prefer to meet a “foreigner”.

3 Likes

There are more than people think, IME. I think the misconception is simply down to people not meeting them. About a third of couples I know are foreign woman and Taiwanese guy.

1 Like

Seems to be happening a lot more in my church too. Foreign female missionaries dating some Taiwanese at church. Never seen this at any other church (as though their denomination has a rule against it).

1 Like

Related: