How do Taiwanese people exercise?

I see a stunning clash of wills looming, and my money is solidly with little miss Omni!

HG

“yeah, I saw you eying my cheeze its!”

I hear they like squats.

Omni: I hear you. I’m going to make sure I get my own kids exercising (and reading books, and I’ll teach them music and chess and a whole ton of other stuff) when I have them. I don’t want a TV in my house, and they certainly won’t be playing computer games.

I think it’s a kind of child abuse to let kids grow up fat, lazy, insolent and dumb.

I went to a private boys’ school where the teachers were such a bunch of hard-arses. They had to be. Hell, even the school reverend used to beat the shit out of kids! In Year 9 Religious Education, in between telling us crazy stories of ex-students gone bad (eg. getting STDs, committing suicide, ODing on drugs, dabbling in the occult, etc.) or communist plots, he would slap kids around or slam them into lockers. He had this broken cane on the chalkboard and someone asked him why he had it once. He said it was to symbolise that he didn’t believe in corporal punishment. One day, one guy took a swing at him for something. It turned out the Rev. had boxed in his youth so he punched this kid back and then chased him down the hall thumping him! Haha. He was probably pushing 60 at the time, but we were all shit-scared of him after that. Anyway, we still had the cane, and that was back in the early/mid 90s when I got it in Year 9. At times, it was excessive, but contrast that to kids in the government systems in Australia and Britain (where I have taught), and probably most other Western nations now, and I don’t think it’s such a bad thing now. All this hippy, lesbian, tree-hugging shit has taken it too far in the other direction.

I also see a lot of Taiwanese kids being absolute little fuckers, but I’m a real hard-arse on my junior-high students. I’ll throw chalkboard dusters at them, or get them kneeling out in the corridor holding rubbish bins over their heads, or doing dozens of burpees, squats, pushups, etc. if they so much as forget their textbooks. Their P.E. teachers are even bigger hard-arses on them. The thing is that they actually respect me for it. After the first couple of times of doing any of this with any of them (including the girls), they really settled the fuck down and listened to me.

It kind of freaks the elementary students out at first when I send them out of the classroom or do something else (eg. one kid kicked another kid once, so I made him stand in the corner with his leg out horizontally for a few minutes and the principal watched it all and then went through the kid like a dose of salts), but they also get the message pretty quickly. I had a bunch of boys who were wild one day, so every time they started up, I made them do ten squats and it only took three times before they gave up on that idea and let me teach the lesson. Their Chinese teacher couldn’t even look me in the eye as they left because he was obviously so embarrassed by their behaviour and his lack of control.

Unfortunately, it shouldn’t even have to get to that point because the kids should already be better behaved (and most are). At least I can do this though. In the West, the little pricks can do as they please because everyone’s so worried about the parents or about hurting their innermost butterflies. It does them a disservice because not only do they not learn whatever they’re there to learn, but they also don’t learn any life lessons. All that pussying about is a large reason why I’m not a teacher there anymore.

Machiavelli may not have been a teacher, but he had a great idea: It’s better to be feared than loved. Too many teachers (and parents) think they can be their kids’ friends. It doesn’t work like that.

Butting in line at the post office is an exciting exercise. Notice that most practitioners wear helmets.
The 3 meter dash for the empty seat on the train combines the need for speed with the skills of a sumo.
You’d be surprised how tired you can get from the ultra-slow walk through the night market.
Jumping on and off of the moving bus is good for agility, as is dodging vehicles on the crosswalk.
It’s easy to find ways to exercise in the hustle and bustle of the big city.

[quote]Butting in line at the post office is an exciting exercise. Notice that most practitioners wear helmets.
The 3 meter dash for the empty seat on the train combines the need for speed with the skills of a sumo.
You’d be surprised how tired you can get from the ultra-slow walk through the night market.
Jumping on and off of the moving bus is good for agility, as is dodging vehicles on the crosswalk.
It’s easy to find ways to exercise in the hustle and bustle of the big city.[/quote]

Haha! Nice one.

I actually do get really tired from the ultra-slow walk everywhere here because I can’t walk at my natural stride. I call it the Taiwanese Shuffle. It’s not just at the night market. It’s everywhere and it drives me up the wall.

[quote]Butting in line at the post office is an exciting exercise. Notice that most practitioners wear helmets.
It’s easy to find ways to exercise in the hustle and bustle of the big city.[/quote]

Haha! Nice one.

I actually do get really tired from the ultra-slow walk everywhere here because I can’t walk at my natural stride. I call it the Taiwanese Shuffle. It’s not just at the night market. It’s everywhere and it drives me up the wall.

Haha! Nice one.

Haha! Nice one.

Haha! Nice one.

I get tired reading the same four posts in a row by guy.

Some might think that I’ve been having internet problems and I actually tried to go back and delete the extra posts but couldn’t.

The truth is though, I actually posted the same thing several times purely because I knew it would piss you off, which it did.

To anyone else who can actually get rid of the extra posts, I’d be happy if you could do so.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Some might think that I’ve been having internet problems and I actually tried to go back and delete the extra posts but couldn’t.

The truth is though, I actually posted the same thing several times purely because I knew it would piss you off, which it did.

To anyone else who can actually get rid of the extra posts, I’d be happy if you could do so.[/quote]

Lol, it happens to me all the time too!

And I also don’t know how to delete my extra posts. What do i do?

I believe that your truth is a lie though! You internet probably slowed or the site somehow slowed down or something and then you accidently overposted.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
Next time leave the fresh kill behind. It’s easier to walk that way and you can always stash it in a tree if you are worried about other predators stealing it.[/quote]

But I was trying to bury hi…, erm, it.[/quote]

Just toss it in Bitan. Perferably when Tommy525 is out paddling around with a date.[/quote]

:cluck: :cluck:

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Some might think that I’ve been having internet problems and I actually tried to go back and delete the extra posts but couldn’t.

[/quote]

Piss me off? Are you studying Chinese? I hope not as you are completely tone deaf.