How do the games and claw machines at the night markets work?

I don’t think it’s banned banned., I know plenty of towns that have them still.

Zhai Nan heaven !

Seriously these Claw machines are a joke, how the hell does the govt keep track of any revenue going through them…I suspect the operators are paying off plenty of officials.

It’s the purest form of money laundering, all these guys that own the claw machines drive BMW’s and Benz.

Most of those claw-machine places are actually deserted. I see almost nobody using them. Which makes me wonder: how much money were the original occupants (shops and restaurants) making after they’d paid their taxes and their rent? It must have been pitiful.

Rents in Taipei now make no economic sense: the only way you could pay the rent AND make a fair living would be selling drugs, and landlords show no sign of backing off on the greed quotient. I’m not entirely sure what the gubmint is supposed to do about that, if anything.

Around here it goes from 70K (small store) to 200-400K (30-50 ping). Stores open and close like pop-up places.

The turnover of places can be phenomenal. No social welfare so opening a restaurant is the go to…

Yes, I made some inquiries a while ago. No way you can make money on a restaurant at that sort of pricing, unless you’re full 24-7 and selling very high-margin items. Not really a surprise people are just exiting the business and letting the claw machines take over.

It’s a real pity. When I first came to Taiwan, commercial rents were fairly reasonable and there were dozens of mom-and-pop diners on every street selling reasonably good food at good prices. The only ones now surviving are the chains with a very slick game, drinks shops selling NT$10 worth of liquid for NT$40-80, and bian dang establishments selling slop from a bucket to thousands of hungry office workers.

You can still finds lots of mom and pop restaurants but not on main roads . Office districts, yes chains have taken a lot of the rental space. In new Taipei city you can find more independent operators (but also not on the main commercial strip).
I think how it works with the chains is they can spread the risk in terms of investment . So if they open 50 stories and 1 in 5 fail they can still win on the 80% that survive, obviously brand recognition and lower raw material costs may help too. They often operate around the clock or 7 days a week to pay the rental.

I don’t think the quality is as good as years ago though for the mom and pop restaurants …since costs have gone up .

What’s wrong with having a claw machine when you have a vacancy? Is it wrong for me to list my property on Airbnb when I don’t have a tenant? Economically efficient if you ask me.

It looks shit and attracts shit.

I think a more apt comparison would be having your house listed on AirBnB for $800 a night, and failing to get any takers, you decide to rent it out as a pop-up brothel.

you just described Taiwan

That’s a low blow man :sunglasses:

Yes, you get those at the girl claw machines!

all in good fun

It’s like that but not all the time, now people are dividing up their store and renting part for claw machines or closing and hoping to get more doing claw machines.

I can see that being a problem, only because it exacerbates the Chinese propensity to gamble.

:joy:

So popular, they’re now mentioned by CBC Gov’r at Legislative Yuan’s Finance Committee

Sometimes you see a beaten-up car parked in front of a claw machine place, the people inside wearing clothes looking like coming from a collection box, but still they keep putting in coin after coin after coin.

I’ve seen one of those stores where a the entrance there’s a small counter and a young girl sells drinks, like one or two varieties of cold tea.
It made me think that the next step might be to move the betel nuts meimei into the claw machine stores to attract more people (unless it’s already happening in Taipei, which wouldn’t surprise me at all).