How do they know you work 14 hours a week?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know, how does the government/immigration/tax office know if you have worked 14 hours a week to meet your minimum residency VISA requirements? Does the bushiban declare the exact hours you worked for them? Or is all revealed in the tax statement at the end of the financial year and they look at the total amount of money you earned for the period you were resident in Taiwan - is this then averaged out from the number of weeks you worked to determine an average number of hours worked a week? The reason being is I did not work for 2 weeks and was wondering if I am safe - I have worked ON AVERAGE more than 14 hours per week.

Cheers everyone

[quote=“uracil”]Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know, how does the government/immigration/tax office know if you have worked 14 hours a week to meet your minimum residency VISA requirements? Does the buxiban declare the exact hours you worked for them? Or is all revealed in the tax statement at the end of the financial year and they look at the total amount of money you earned for the period you were resident in Taiwan - is this then averaged out from the number of weeks you worked to determine an average number of hours worked a week? The reason being is I did not work for 2 weeks and was wondering if I am safe - I have worked ON AVERAGE more than 14 hours per week.

Cheers everyone[/quote]

Safe for what? What is your worry?

The tax office are not linked to the immigration office so should you have worked less than 14 hours per week in any given week this will not affect your working ARC. Presumably you’ve already got that. Buxibans apply for ARCs on the promise that they are sponsoring a teacher and therefore employing them for at least 14 hours a week. In theory (and I know in reality) teachers can be employed on fewer than 14 hours and the buxiban can still secure them an ARC. It’s bad business for the buxibans, though, because they have to pay extra tax on the new employee as they must declare 14 teaching hours. They generally only do it if someone is highly desirable. In short; the ARC is obtained upfront and the tax is kind of sorted out with hindsight.

You clearly must have an ARC, so I guess that you are worried about the tax office getting shitty about the lowish tax you’ve paid. Can’t see this being an issue, myself, but other forumosans may have other opinions. Or perhaps you are worried about 5 clean years towards your APRC? What’s the exact problem?

Hi Tom thorne,

Thanks for your reply.

My worry really stems from my lack of knowledge about how these VISA requirements and relevant authorities enforce the 14 hour rule.
Yes I do have an ARC. I entered Taiwan 5 months ago and have been working 30hrs a week at a school all that time until now. I have just changed to casual and am getting about 9-10 hours a week now. The school is still sponsoring me for my arc. They have asked me to help them out with at least 14 hours, but sometimes there wont be classes.

I am planning to continue on a casual basis until mid 2011, when I will return to my home country. Just dont’ want to be stopped by immigration telling me that I havn’t worked enough.

Cheers