How do we clean up the American health care mess?

You’re joking, right? :bravo: :laughing:

[quote=“Chris”]If you want to know my fix for the issue it is:

1. Expel all Republicans from office and replace them with liberals and progressives.
  2. Expel all Conservadems from office and replace them with liberals and progressives.[/quote]

Expel? Really? To heck with the democratic process of elections? Who needs voter ID when libs want to expel Representatives and Senators who do not toe the line? :astonished:

Well, its really no surprise that liberals don’t like dissent. And we know that Obama doesn’t like the constraints on his power contained in the US Constitution.

Liberals are scarey… Sheesh! :astonished:

Better get your liberal propagandists on board with that message:

:popcorn:

Obama is a conservative Democrat.

Please re-read the following:

Reading comprehension, folks. It would serve you well.

As for “Expel”? Yes indeed. At the ballot box. Duh. Funny that this has to be spelled out to the conservative, when it goes without saying to the liberal. Interesting that the conservative mind would interpret that as being anything other than in a democratic light. Great insight into the conservative mindset, which is antidemocratic at its very core.

[quote=“Chris”]Obama is a conservative Democrat.

Please re-read the following:

Reading comprehension, folks. It would serve you well.[/quote]

I understand very well. I said nothing about any political party. I simply stated that liberals do not like dissent.

You’re like a walking example of irony:laughing:

[quote=“Chris”]Obama is a conservative Democrat.
[/quote]

And the sky is plaid.

The biggest problem is that the incumbent companies and the super rich that control them have convinced the people who would be most benefited by health care reform that it would not benefit them.

bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-2 … -plan.html

[quote]The plan, which is mostly the work of Representatives Phil Roe and Steve Scalise, repeals President Barack Obama’s health-care law. It replaces the unlimited tax break for employer-provided health insurance with a new tax deduction – $7,500 for individuals or $20,000 for families – to purchase health insurance, whether through an employer or on their own. It would let insurers sell policies across state lines. And it would put $25 billion into high-risk pools to help people who would still be unable to buy insurance.

The prevailing liberal reaction to the plan has been to dismiss it. It isn’t a serious alternative to the Affordable Care Act, they say, because it doesn’t provide health insurance to as many people or offer the same protections to those with pre-existing conditions. Obamacare supporters expect the law to increase the number of people with insurance by 25 million. The Lewin Group has estimated that a tax deduction would increase that number by only about 9 million. [/quote]

I wouldn’t put much faith in that 25 million estimate at this point. The net increase will likely turn out to be negative. It’s already about negative 5 million.

What the Democrats could do to help:

washingtonpost.com/blogs/rig … are-fails/

[quote]The greatest chance to get rid of Obamacare without Republicans keeping the House and winning a filibuster-proof Senate majority and the White House is to highlight just how bad Obamacare actually is and to offer more and more off-ramps for people to stay outside the exchanges. Upton did more than the shutdown squad ever accomplished in getting 39 Democrats to turn on the president. Republicans and red-state Democrats can press the Senate to do the same and pound Harry Reid and his troops if they don’t at least allow a vote. Republicans, in other words, must be patient and persistent while moving ahead with an alternative of their own that could attract Democratic support.

As for Democrats, maybe they should start thinking about an Obamacare alternative. There is a good chance they will need one.[/quote]

By joining the program en mass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]By joining the program en mass.
[/quote]

Worked at Jonestown.

Go ahead. You first.

Actually rowland, people are signing up, and in greater numbers than expected in many states. This is actually a very good sign as most people were supposed to sign up for state plans but far too many states did not establish a health care exchange despite saying they would (just one of many reasons repubs have no right to gloat over the failures of the ACA).

Several good articles out recently on this. This fat lady (who hopefully has decent healthcare) hasn’t sung yet.

Really? How do you know how many people have enrolled?

The Government released numbers includes those who have a plan in their shopping cart and not yet paid! I kid you not, you couldn’t make this up if you tried. But even then, with the deliberately inflated number, every report I’ve read refers to the number as far below what was expected. Just google something like “enrollment in ACA”.

For sure, the website will have played a major factor in that, as well as people tend to leave everything to the last minute. But according to the tech chief, the website still has 40% left unfinished. To my mind, this is a huge problem,and they are doing this all on the fly, in the public eye. Projects I work on tend to look 90% complete, using about 50% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 50% of my time, testing, retesting, reworking and fine tuning takes a lot more time than people allocate for. Tech chief: Up to 40% Obamacare work left

LA Times. Not unequivocally good news of course, and it may be too little too late (though I doubt that) but only a naif would have expected such a massive program to go off without a hitch:

[quote]Despite the disastrous rollout of the federal government’s healthcare website, enrollment is surging in many states as tens of thousands of consumers sign up for insurance plans made available by President Obama’s health law.

A number of states that use their own systems, including California, are on track to hit enrollment targets for 2014 because of a sharp increase in November, according to state officials.

“What we are seeing is incredible momentum,” said Peter Lee, director of Covered California, the nation’s largest state insurance marketplace, which accounted for a third of all enrollments nationally in October. California — which enrolled about 31,000 people in health plans last month — nearly doubled that in the first two weeks of this month.

Several other states, including Connecticut and Kentucky, are outpacing their enrollment estimates, even as states that depend on the federal website lag far behind. In Minnesota, enrollment in the second half of October ran at triple the rate of the first half, officials said. Washington state is also on track to easily exceed its October enrollment figure, officials said.

PHOTOS: 2013’s memorable political moments

The growing enrollment in those states is a rare bit of good news for backers of the Affordable Care Act and suggests that the serious problems with the law’s rollout may not be fatal, despite critics’ renewed calls for repeal.

But the trend also emphasizes how widely experience with the new law varies by location.

Fourteen states and the District of Columbia, covering about one-third of the nation’s population, are operating their own Obamacare marketplaces and have their own enrollment websites. The others, including most states with Republican-led governments, have declined to do so, making their residents dependent on the malfunctioning federal site.

In addition to better-functioning websites, many states that are running their own marketplaces also have significantly more resources to help consumers sign up for coverage.

Many of the states that have declined to run their own websites have also refused to expand the joint federal-state Medicaid program, as the new law allows.

Overall enrollment totals in states using the federal site were dismal in October, according to figures released last week by the Health and Human Services Department.

For example, just 2,991 people successfully enrolled in health plans in Texas in October. That was fewer enrollees than in Kentucky, which has a sixth as many residents.

Altogether, 106,000 people enrolled in health coverage nationwide last month, a figure far below administration projections.

Nearly half of those who enrolled in October were in California or New York. Both states have continued to show growth in their numbers. In New York, enrollment has continued at roughly October’s rate and stands at 24,509, according to state officials.

PHOTOS: The battle over Obamacare

Even with the growing consumer interest in health insurance in many states, the new marketplaces created by the health law need millions more enrollees. The Obama administration aims to get 7 million consumers into health insurance plans in 2014 to ensure that the marketplaces have enough people to be sustainable.

With fixes still being made to the federal website, it is unclear whether enrollment will catch up everywhere.

White House officials repeatedly have said they hope to have the healthcare.gov website working for the “vast majority” of users by the end of this month. But spokesman Jay Carney said Monday that the administration also is working with insurance companies to allow consumers to bypass the troubled site and enroll directly with insurers.

In California, Lee said Monday that the federal troubles have made enrollment more difficult even for states that use their own sites. State officials believe enrollment through Covered California has been depressed by media reports of problems with the federal site, Lee told reporters during a call organized by the consumer group Families USA.

Covered California has had to change its marketing strategy to remind Californians that the state website is different from healthcare.gov.

But while politicians in Washington, D.C., have been fixated on the website problems, many state officials are feeling considerably more optimistic about the law’s long-term prospects.

“We’re going to ride all this stuff out,” said Kevin Counihan, chief executive of Access Health CT, Connecticut’s marketplace.

Counihan, who worked for the marketplace that Massachusetts created after its trailblazing 2006 reforms, said he had been expecting even lower enrollment. Connecticut saw growing enrollment in November: 3,201 people signed up for health plans in the first two weeks of this month, nearing the 4,371 total for all of October.

Enrollment has been even stronger in many Medicaid programs.

About half the states have agreed to expand their Medicaid programs to most low-income residents in 2014. Under the law, the federal government picks up nearly the entire cost of that expansion for the first several years.

Nationwide, nearly 400,000 new people qualified for Medicaid coverage in October, according to federal data. In Oregon, whose marketplace has been one of the few trouble-plagued state sites, the state reported that it had already signed up 70,000 new people for Medicaid.

Officials nationwide cautioned that drawing firm conclusions about enrollment patterns was difficult at this early stage.

“It’s hard to know what normal looks like yet,” said Bethany Frey, a spokeswoman for Washington state’s marketplace, known as Washington Healthplanfinder.

Many state officials say they think the biggest enrollment surge will take place after Thanksgiving. Consumers face a Dec. 15 deadline to sign up if coverage is to be effective Jan. 1.

The open enrollment period under the law lasts until March 31, giving consumers an additional three months to select health plans in 2014.

Experts also expect more people to sign up for coverage through 2014 as their circumstances change in ways that make them eligible to enroll outside of the regular enrollment period.

“We are in the beginning of the first inning of a nine-inning game,” Lee said.[/quote]

The article you have makes no mention that people who have not yet purchased a plan, are being counted as enrollees. Another article, probably just as biased as yours, agrees on the number of reported enrollees, but points out.

[quote]One official told Amy Goldstein and Sarah Kliff of the Washington Post that “the official figure will include people who have paid for a plan
and
[color=#FF0000]those who simply picked a plan and put it in their shopping cart[/color].” Most private companies aren’t allowed to count as “sales” people who put items in their electronic shopping carts, but haven’t yet paid.
But politics triumphs economics. Goldstein and Kliff write that, “according to one person with knowledge of the figures, slightly fewer than 40,000 people had selected a [federal exchange-based] health plan as of last week.”[/quote] The Obamacare Exchange Scorecard: Around 100,000 Enrollees And Five Million Cancellations

To count people who have merely put a plan in their shopping cart, is insane. It also means the numbers being trotted out are meaningless.

Are we really still describing problems associated with the website as a “hitch” or “glitch” ? I don’t think you read the article I linked for you.

This means some scheduled functions have not come into play yet, and might not have even been completed and are supposed to be ready in 2 weeks or something. From an engineers perspective, this has poor management written all over it, I may make a more detailed post on signs of lousy project management and the disasters they cause another time, but this project looks to be a perfect example.

We need to wait and see what happens, but whats being said, isnt the website will incrementally improve which is perhaps your perception, and understandable. With new requirements coming into play in December and January. We most likely will see a new set of problems emerge.

Does anyone understand it took 70 years to create the current “mess”?

[color=#0040FF]Another Liberal Obama Voter Sees the Light… And he is Pissed Off[/color]

[quote]I went to a friend and colleague—let’s call him Peter—for advice. He also had his individual medical policy cancelled because of Obamacare. “I’m stuck on the same question—income,” he told me. Peter does a little writing, a little farming, a little this and that to keep the ship afloat. “I got through to the exchange, and the woman there told me to just estimate what my income would be this year.” In other words: Make it up. If he overestimated, he’d be screwing himself out of a subsidy, Peter said. If he underestimated, he’d be hit with a big fat bill. He wasn’t sure he wouldn’t also be accused of fraud. So he called his accountant, who’s also a lawyer.

That only got him so far. At a certain point in the conversation, the accountant/lawyer had to get off the phone. “I have to stop answering your questions,” he told Peter. “I can’t ethically advise you, because honestly I don’t know the right thing to do. Nobody does. There are no answers. Right now [color=#FF0000]it’s a complete clusterfuck[/color].”[/quote]

These problems are not website glitch problems… Bad News Obama!

[quote=“Mucha Man”]LA Times. Not unequivocally good news of course, and it may be too little too late (though I doubt that) but only a naif would have expected such a massive program to go off without a hitch:

[quote]Despite the disastrous rollout of the federal government’s healthcare website, enrollment is surging in many states as tens of thousands of consumers sign up for insurance plans made available by President Obama’s health law.
[/quote][/quote]

Tens of thousands, versus millions needed. Defining success down drastically here.

If at first you don’t succeed, lower your standards.

nytimes.com/interactive/2013 … f=politics

Trying to embed the chart, but the damn site won’t cooperate. Let’s just say it looks bad.

Again aside from giddy touchdown dances by those who were hoping Obama would fail, it’s far too early to make any assessment of the viability of the ACA. We won’t get any meaningful statistics until the website is fully functional, and who knows when that will be. The only thing we can really say for sure is the timing is horrible for the democrats. As much as I think this will all work out by 2016 and it will turn out to be a little better system than the current #37 world ranked healthcare, I find it nearly impossible that this clusterfuck of a roll out won’t seriously impact the elections next year. There’s going to be a lot of democrats that will want to distance themselves from this in hopes of getting elected and that always looks bad for the President.