How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

Dance away the problem, dance and tell drivers to slow down.
Facebook link for the video of them dancing and the song as they cross the street, youtube link for a news segment about it with clips from the dancing by the police and dance group.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1716094045394400

1 Like

Put hot girls dancing on every corner. It will slow down the traffic but might result in more crashes.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Looking at the before-and-after photos above: it occurred to me that governments in Taiwan simply love pouring concrete and handing money to contractors. It’s in their DNA.

So it shouldn’t be that hard for them to do it again! Bring the wide side walks back, this time with trees to help with urban cooling.

Lots of contractors get money, we get our sidewalks back, and hopefully the city can cool down, if only slightly.

Guy

8 Likes

Wow, a rare sighting, a family with 4 kids??? hardly see those in the wild any more.

Jesus thats fuckimh depressing. All you would need to do is go back to 1980s streets and more people would chose to walk. Absolutely regressive development

5 Likes

YES

1 Like

Indeed. I’ve always assumed they just didn’t build necessary sidewalks in the first place. I didn’t realize they’d taken them away!

10 Likes

Wow…this picture is actually quite pleasant to look at. Not only because of the wide sidewalks, but also because the signs on the buildings are way more organized(all of them are vertical) and not not a hodge podge of shapes with gross colors. Also that tiling on the roofs is :+1:

Edit: after admiring it more I also noticed none of those blasted beetlenut flashing sign thingies. When did taiwan start having those?

5 Likes

Betel nut has been in Taiwan before Taiwan was known as Taiwan.

I suspect the urban (or highwayside) vending of it, however, would be tied to the roaring construction developmentalist turn in the 1970s / 1980s. Starbucks and City Cafe had not hit town yet, and those workers needed their fuel!

Guy

She probably ‘saw’ you but her brain didn’t register that moment.

I remember that in Sanxia they had the entire route from the freeway exit to the Daxi golf course stripped of signs and replaced by small nice vertical ones when they had Tiger Woods come and play a championship there.(1999 Johnnie Walker Classic)
Of course at present day everything has gone back to ‘normal’

1 Like

Wait, I thought sidewalks have been widened recently, especially over the past 5 years. With all the Youbike stations they’ve set up, they’ve had to widen the sidewalks. Just off the top of my head, I can tell you Songjiang, Xinsheng, Fuxing, Nanjing, Xinyi roads have all had their sidewalks widened not long ago. Maybe it’s just a Taipei phenomenon.

2 Likes

It’s a great trend. Hope whoever takes control of the city after Ko continues it.

Guy

1 Like

It will continue if Ko’s deputy Vivian Huang wins the next mayoral election.

That bottom pic is from Pingtung, not Taipei. The person put it up to intentionally confuse the viewer. Click on the FB link and scroll down to the comment for details.

5 Likes

Yeah these are all stealth road diets.

The sidewalk by main station where the camera stores are have bee widened

2 Likes

Happened a few weeks ago but just remembered it this morning.

Was out eating at a KFC and on my way out a car illegally parked on the crosswalk whilst an elderly couple were crossing and forced them to go around to find some other place to get on the sidewalk. The driver parked right behind a police car that was responding to something just ahead. I saw the police officers were done with whatever they were dealing with and mentioned the above situation. Police officer responded “okay I will ask them to move their car”…the driver was ordering take-out…he could’ve just used the drive through instead.

3 Likes

Yeah no enforcement. Typical.

Guy

1 Like

I’ve never seen a cop passively enforce a parking restriction in Taiwan (at last for things like parking on the red or double parking). In my experience, they only enforce it if you file a complaint.

Starting at the end of April this year, they stopped accepting complaints…

4 Likes