How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

I tapped on a car’s window when they almost ran me over while I was out running by my parents’ house once. The driver didn’t see me so I drew attention to my existence. When I recounted my story to my parents, they told me that I should never, ever reach out and touch a vehicle because they can sue for an exorbitant amount of money, regardless of what they were doing wrong (claim that you ran out to damage their vehicle/had intended to harm the people inside, etc). With Taiwan’s watermelon knife reputation, I’d say that it’s best to make sure if you use your stainless steel water bottle to hit a car that’s trying to hit you, you better be certain the traffic cams see it as an accident.

This could be true in Taiwan where extortion is legalized in cases like this, but certainly this is not true for the US, where you would have to show actual damages.

But your last sentence is absolutely right in both places, as @Brianjones alluded to above.

1 Like

Yeah heard about this, but then they would also have to face the fine of not stopping at a pedestrian crossing. Extremely unlikely anything will come of it.

I admire your optimism about what laws are going to be enforced!

OK, did a brief search, and yes, flipping the bird can certainly lead to legal issues:

A long thread, with opening here, further developments on losing the case here, but I didn’t see a post with the end result (that may be because screen jank was causing issues).

3 Likes

Police are much more likely you to hunt you down for flipping the driver off or saying some “bad words” than him almost running you or a dozen other pedestrians over. You “didn’t get hurt” but you “hurt his feelings/face”.

Here’s another one yesterday…you know how scooters will sometimes just gun it and try to speed through a left turn as soon the light turns green? Well a car did this by immediately driving onto the crosswalk and driving on the crosswalk…with people on the crosswalk.
Even by usual low standards this was pretty nuts.

6 Likes

Good intentions.

But has anyone actually seen somebody getting fined?

7 Likes

Hsieh Min-hung (謝銘鴻), executive secretary of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications’ (MOTC) Road Traffic Safety Commission, told media that pedestrians have an absolute right-of-way at intersections when there is ambiguity.

Maybe make sure the drivers know?

3 Likes

The instructional video at the end of that article is a breath of fresh air. As someone posted above, Taiwan is a good place to to learn offensive driving.

Regarding the original question, if blindspots are cited as the cause of so many accidents, then I agree with those of you suggesting the short term solution that pedestrian crossing time be separated from the time that cars can pass through. I remember one very short pedestrian crossing in Keelung that was infamous amongst my colleagues and was a real culture shock for me due to the relentless volume of scooters turning across the narrow street at the same time as people crossing. I wonder if Vision Project visited that junction.

I’ve reported quite a few, all but one got issued with a fine.

1 Like

Great, but how? You happened to video them when it happened, or you had the police check security cameras?

Dashcam in car mostly, 2 with cellphone crossing the road on a notorious zebra with no signal lights. Need to make sure you clearly show the distance from the car to the pedestrian, needs to be 3 stripes passing in front of them or less in order to be fined.

2 Likes

Why do people enjoy causing others grief?
What the hell is wrong with them?
I don’t understand it.

2 Likes

I met some very aggressive drivers on the road in Taipei City today. I guess these guys were off to some crucial lunch appointment.

Third day of the new year holiday, almost no one around, yet driving like dicks and honking at me on my bike.

A little more zen would be appreciated. :neutral_face:

Guy

7 Likes

I just got hit by a car on a cross walk, actually one when the pedestrian crossing light was green. Full on hit but I jumped onto the bonnet during impact. Just got back from the hospital , just bruising.
He was turning left in a SUV. An older guy said he just didnt see me.

11 Likes

He turned your name on you. Tomorrow will be fun. Glad you’re ok.

1 Like

Bloody hell! I hope you’re OK.

Guy

Hope you recover quickly. And put in the compo claim .

3 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I wish I had your agility to jump on the hood…I can hardly jump over a brick at this point.

1 Like

Wow, glad it wasn’t worse. But tomorrow you might really feel it.

2 Likes

Yeah , I took anti inflamatories and using ice. I will find out tomorrow.