How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

They are already in use in Taiwan and have been for many years. They’re employed in blackspot areas, there’s naturally much resistance to overuse of surveillance.

Sensors have, and continue to be, installed in many areas in Taiwan, parking fee is automatically calculated and can be paid through an app, no need for a “meter maid”.

The issue is not the legal parking spots, the issue is the illegal parkers who seek “convenience”.

The issue is that now parking on red lines can’t be reported, it’s actually cheaper to park on the red line then the “legal” parking space right next to it.

5 Likes

I’ve been seeing a lot more parking on corners already

3 Likes

Ditto in Taipei.

These new (lack of) rules are just training these entitled twits to be more entitled with impunity!

Guy

3 Likes

You can still report these idiots, it’s more difficult than before but still reportable.

1 Like

Parking on red lines can be reported, you can call 110, send a text message or even use 1999. In these transition periods the police are actually way faster to respond as they don’t want to appear to be allowing a free for all. In Xindian the tow truck was very on the ball today, arrived within 15 mins and had a Luxgen gone within 17 mins of the call! That’s a lot more expensive than 20Nt/hr and way less convenient!

3 Likes

In Taichung I’ve seen a significant uptick in number of illegally parked vehicles the past few days. Last week seemed about same as normal, but it’s been really bad yesterday and today. At least from what I saw.

Illegally parked truck forces other drivers to cross over a double yellow to safely pass. A driver got a ticket after being reported for it.

Bus in Taoyuan gets stuck because of an illegally parked vehicle in the intersection. Everyone has to wait a long time until the driver eventually comes back and leaves.

Saw this one shared online recently from scooter/motorcycle license exam. If the other lanes don’t allow green/white plate scooters or motorcycles and you are blocked by an illegally parked vehicle in the slow/scooter lane can you go around it? No, you are supposed to sit there and wait for the illegally parked vehicle to leave.

10 Likes

Maybe their nonsense rules are why they don’t enforce rules…

8 Likes

And why so many people don’t respect so many of the rules, even the sensible ones like stopping at red lights!

3 Likes

Ok pretty straight forward then. Although people would have to change the way they drive. If the light is yellow then people try to squeeze through so people would have to change that to more of a slowing down attitude which could lead to people getting rear ended.

Some of it is just blatant though. Rode about tonight and saw 2 blatant red light runners. One guy wanted to turn right down an alleyway which was just after the stop line. Another one was a car that just basically FU’d the red light. Zero F’s given.

Lol at overuse. There is much resistance to not being able to break the law willy nilly lets just be honest and call it how it is.

3 Likes

Was it this person?

2 Likes

That’s strange. The law specifically allows for crossing the double yellow lines to avoid obstacles on the road, such as an illegally parked trucks.

That’s why the lines are painted and not physical barriers.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with squeezing through a yellow light?

Are you talking about people speeding up? I mean, technically you’re not supposed to speed up, but even in the US people do that regularly as there really isn’t an effective way to enforce it.

Chicago specifically got in trouble for timing yellow lights to be too short so they could catch people in the intersection on red. I think most people agreed that was going too far (intention of catching people and not of enforcing traffic safety)

It’s exactly the painted infrastructure that justifies dumb shit like parking in no parking zones in the first place. Concrete medians and wider sidewalks (strictly for walking on), forcing single lane streets, is the perfect solution for this.

1 Like

Even as a libertarian, it is in their best interest that thousands don’t die each year and tens of thousands go to the hospitals.

It is a small price to pay for the liberty we must have.

/sarcasm off

Guy

3 Likes

I don’t in anyway expect this to stop people in Taiwan illegally parking, in fact it may encourage it! Ever notice how people choose the narrowest part of a walkway to stop and chat/look at their phone/daydream!?

6 Likes

It was indeed, thanks for finding it!

1 Like

I already explained what was wrong with it. If its the culture to bomb though the yellow light no matter your distance you might get rear ended when you slow down instead (to avoid getting fined by the red light.). Its kind of like the new yielding rule. The car in front might yield but the cars behind may not agree with it, either by over taking or beeping their horn.

Anyway its not a huge problem but if they did start putting more red light cameras about its something i could foresee happening.

3 Likes

Yeah but if they overtake then they’ll get the ticket and the government still gets its payout. Driver might learn their lesson if they get piles of tickets every week